Highres Montreal complete

Posted by Caelen 
Re: Highres Montreal complete
Date: September 23, 2004 02:49PM
Posted by: DAW182
Great track update i run it at 30po 16af 2aa and it look brilliant any complaint i have is.. round the first half of the track theres a thin black line in the sky, is this just me or every1 got it?

also i noiced on the first page, 1 of your corners had that yellow kerb stuff did u take it out or have i not installed the copy properly as i don't have a corner like that..
Date: September 23, 2004 06:45PM
Posted by: Hal
@Caelen,

What kind of features do you have turned on to permit 40fps with your set-up? Bear in mind I used to get 30fps with an MX440, but with each graphics card upgrade I've just kept turning on more things. Right now it's 1280x1024, 30fps, 2xAA, 2xAF, Direct 3D quality setting, vsync ON to avoid tearing, full mirrors, full reflections, max shadows, static environment maps, bump maps on, high textures, high track and car geometry, no heat haze, no video walls.

With AA and AF disabled, PO drops to 60-70 on the hi-res Montreal, so I imagine 40fps would be within reach then...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2004 06:47PM by Hal.
Date: September 23, 2004 10:36PM
Posted by: Caelen
i use a similar set up to you by the sound of it although ive edited the config manually to change the mip mapping. ive reduced to two mipmaps and reduced the mip bias which shaarpen the image.
i dont use dynamic video walls or heat haze or dynamic env mapping but everthing else is on full.i use 4xAA and 8xAF, the drivers are always set to best quality.

the big killer for me was bump mapping and AA. if i enable both then i get a huge po hit. so i run with aa, i need it cause i can only run at 1280x1024 as any higher resolution is 60 hz and with better tarmacs i find bump mapping off looks better for me.

heres my config, have a look at it
[www.users.bigpond.com]

DAW182 yes i know the black line youre talking about. its the top of the horizon textures, although the horizon is not that high te actual tectur is, its just transparent. unfortunately you can still see where it ends. this problem effects all tracks and i havent been able to find a way to fix it. its just more obvious on some tracks.
Date: September 23, 2004 11:25PM
Posted by: mickg
@Caelen, Can't see black line but has there always been a gap between Allianz wall signs? Since(I think! Could be wrong) the o/h Allianz texture was fixed I have a gap between signs ie the sign is not there but the fence is, just before the Allianz pedestrian overpass.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS POST! I had posted this earlier but in another thread. My apologies.

P4 3.2ghz/800mhzFSB; XFX 7800GS; 2Gig PC3200(400mhz) DDR; Seagate SATA 10krpm HD x2 ;SB AudigyLS .

AYRTON SENNA: F1's Undying Legend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2004 11:35PM by mickg.
Date: September 24, 2004 01:18AM
@Caelen,

Thanks for the f1graphics.cfg! And the comments about AA/Bump Mapping are interesting. I'd often thought a high-res tarmac would be a better option. I will experiment...

Just tried it: you're absolutely right. With bump mapping off the PO at Montreal is quite acceptable even at 2xAA, 2xAF. Just need to find a hi-res tarmac: I remember a few were floating around a while back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2004 01:31AM by Hal.
Date: September 24, 2004 05:53AM
the one that came with the update should be fine its only 512x512 but looks the same as at 1024x1024. if you want a higher res ont , the one i put in monaco update was 1024x1024. the problem is that gp4 maps the tarmac 8 times across the road for close distance and 3 times in the distance and from track cams. so if you have a nice detailed tarmac like the one from monaco update it can look a bit ordinary from t-cam as the pattern is repeated too many times.
Date: September 24, 2004 06:08AM
daw182 about the yellow/black kerb. yes i replaced with a white one.
Date: September 24, 2004 10:29AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
hey caelen is the last kerb supposed to be the same and also no change of the track cams in a dat file or raising the chicane.

anyway great track and i have no performance issues at all. get solid 100% PO from 20th on the grid
Date: September 24, 2004 11:47AM
what do you mean by, is the last kerb supposed to be the same ?

i didnt release any edited circuit or track.gp4 files because that would require permission from ricardo and everyone else who worked on the montreal 2004 track and i got the impression from ricardo that he getting a bit sick of people using his work as a base for others. so i just released textures that are compatible with his track. i did do a bit of modifying to the montreal.gp4 file but not much.
i fixed a bug with the new red tarmac in the pitlane being about a foot off the ground so that you drive thru it not over it and i fixed one of the 100m signs which seemed to only become visible when i was right near it.

i didnt lift any kerbs as i didnt think it was necessary. im using madmans latest beta of his tweaker which includes a tweak to give a ffback effect on road edges and kerbs, and its really good, makes the track much more alive.

i liked the cams pretty much as they were, i only changed the one at the hairpin
Date: September 24, 2004 12:07PM
Posted by: Leslie
Date: September 24, 2004 08:11PM
@Caelen,

Thanks for the advice. I certainly didn't want to appear as if I didn't like the tarmac that came with the update, but I'd like to try a few different ones until I get the effect I like best now that I'm doing without bump mapping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy