How to solve "submarine cars"?

Posted by katunga 
How to solve "submarine cars"?
Date: August 18, 2004 08:11PM
Posted by: katunga
Well, I´m still getting this problem in external view, which is going me crazy after I tuned the game for 1024x768. All is ok but this, I tried the config file, the in-game settings, etc. but still can´t solve this. I reinstalled the original carwads from the CD and then the original cars and got the same problem! It seems as one or various lods are missing, but it´s not possible this due to the original wads having the same problem. Also, I picked the original track wads, thinking that was something wrong with them, but the same, no results. So the problem has to be in the F1config. I have all the patches installed and GP4 runs beautifull in all views, but in external view.

Could it be the advanced carshape option?
the bump map option? (I know has nothing to do with cars, but I readed a post related to problems in cars due to the bump mapping)
Tried to changue lods load in config, but is still the same
Tried to changue cull distances in config but is still the same (cars are visible well when near the cam. When they get far from it, start to turn in submarines)
Reinstalled patch 9.6 who solved the flying cars problem and maybe submarine cars, but the same.

So what´s going wrong? I´d like to fix that ´coz is very annoying really. Any hint, idea, suggestion or whatoever?? Thanks

Re: How to solve "submarine cars"?
Date: August 18, 2004 09:12PM
Date: August 18, 2004 09:53PM
Posted by: Lo2k
You only missed most important thing : .dat files.
So be sure to replace the s1ct16.dat you use (in gp4directory\CIRCUITS) by the real original one.
This sort of thing can only happen due to a modified s1ct16.dat or indianapolis2001.wad.

Date: August 19, 2004 12:09AM
Thanks Lo2k I´ll give your suggestion a try
Date: August 19, 2004 02:47AM
Well, I picked the .dat files and the trackwads again, from the CD and put them in GP4 folder with no result...it´s strange. Just the only possible chance I can think of is checking the card config and something about memory usage in the registry
Date: August 19, 2004 10:33AM
you told you "reinstalled the carswad and then original cars" ?
But original cars are already in the original cars.wad !
What cars are you using ? (on your shot they don't seem to be original)

Date: August 19, 2004 06:11PM
Just a typo should be say: I reinstalled or re-inserted the original car.wad :-)
I´m using the GPC (Grand Prix Championship) car wad. It comes with a self-installer that prompts to overwritte the originals, but doesn´t say what "originals", the cars or tracks wad?? Anyway I suppose is just the car wad. So, I reinstalled the original carwads within GP4 folder, but it´s the same thing. So my thinking now is: when I install a new carwad to GP4 I noted that it doesn´t overwritte or delette the original. All car files (new and old) are in the same wad. So do I have to delette the old files or let them share the same carwad with the new carset? The original carwad is 27mgb and the GPC one is 63 mgb. So the GPC has included hi-res textures, could be the problem too???

Thanks for all the help you gave me Lo2k
Date: August 19, 2004 10:29PM
No, I don't tjink trouble is coming from cars.wad at all, it should come from tracks or maybe a track "external" file I don't know.
As you already tried to replace tracks by original ones, I can only suggest you one thing : Did you tried to completely remove GP4 (from Add/Remove panel) then to completely delete GP4 remaining folder and reinstalled GP4 from fresh.
Just GP4 and give it a try.

I think It's the best solution.
If you have still the trouble after that, It will simply be amazing :)

Thanks but no thanks :)

Date: August 19, 2004 10:31PM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
lol indeed , if it isnt the track then ... what may be :S
Date: August 19, 2004 11:57PM
I reinstalled last saturday :-)
It´s something I moved in the config file, maybe. But I´d wish to know what :-)
I used to set GP4 very low on graphics to maintain a low PO just for the league and worked very well. Now I wanted more graphs, so I´ve retuned all settings, that´s the story :-)

So, there´re a few more solutions I could try:

-Incompatible video drivers (I updated the video drivers about 15 days ago)
Crapy intel extreme graphics II on board card, for the records :-) altough is the better on board nowadays

- Maybe something wrong with undercar shadows...(improbably)

If not, I can now live with that. I have an awesome main view anyway, I´m running 1024x768 with most of detail on, so I can´t complaint about GP4. Still it rocks :-)
Date: August 20, 2004 11:04AM
And was it working last saturday before your tweaks in the config file ?

Anyhow, I seriously doubt that a video driver or undercar shadows could cause this.

Date: August 20, 2004 04:58PM
Well, I did a tactical mistake last sat. I reinstalled, and put the F1config backup in GP4 folder and went straight to test it :-(

So, I´ll have to reinstall. Thanks for all your help :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy