lol willb

no it hasnt

gp4 -- gps tracks, amazing cars , better offline competition
f1c -- online competition

Re: Comments on F1 Challenge 99-02 Vs GP4
Date: August 13, 2004 12:30AM
Posted by: mickg
Willb,
Thats exactly what F1C is...fun. I've had this on my pc for around 12 months now and can honestly say I have COMPLETED more full races than I have with GP4 which I've had since it was released. You need to get the mods(cars are by Emac and Ralph Hummerich so you know they are going to be superb) and especially the upgrade(?!) by CTDP...simply outstanding...even tho' it's the 2003 season(2004 is very close to being released I believe)..and of course the sound is far better than GP4. They are two different views of the world of F1 so you have to decide yourself. As a matter of fact, I put off getting it because of the negative views on this site(which I frequent all the time)but in a weak moment decided to get it and have a look...I was pleasantly surprised. I think you will be too.

mick

P4 3.2ghz/800mhzFSB; XFX 7800GS; 2Gig PC3200(400mhz) DDR; Seagate SATA 10krpm HD x2 ;SB AudigyLS .

AYRTON SENNA: F1's Undying Legend.
Date: August 13, 2004 01:02AM
Posted by: Daonath
I've been a fan of Geoff's GP games ever since I bought Microprose Grand Prix on my old Amiga 600. I can't comment on F1C because I've never played it, but I've always been under the impression that Geoff's games were built on physics first, graphics second.

And, I've heard more than one TV interview where people have described real F1 cars handling like they're "on rails". Exact wording.
But I've never driven one, and I doubt anyone here has either, so who can say.

Bottom line for me, with a wheel, pedals, and all the driving aids (except gears) turned off, GP4 feels solid and very drivable. If I spin off the track, I know it's because I screwed up, and not some physics anomaly.

I've been waiting a good few years for another decent racing game to come out, but nothing yet has compared to GP4 or GPL. For online racing I generally play Toca2 actually, it's a good laugh :)
Date: August 13, 2004 01:37AM
Posted by: gav
I got F1C with an open mind really, loving GP4, but wanting to see an alternative.

I did a 100% race at Hockenheim (a track who's layout isn't even right I should add) in a Jaguar, and was getting into it a bit, but once the novelty had worn off I simply lost interest. It's simply a platform for mods now, and not a good one IMO.
Date: August 13, 2004 08:45PM
Posted by: harjinator
Does F1C run on a semi-decent machine? I'm sick of playing GP4 with no sound and GP3 with naff graphics'cos hardware mode doesn't work!
Date: August 13, 2004 08:57PM
Posted by: ralphi
it does you can get pretty good fps even on a slower comp

Date: August 13, 2004 09:11PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Does F1C run on a semi-decent machine? I'm sick of playing GP4 with no sound and GP3 with naff graphics'cos hardware mode doesn't work!

wtf? What do you count as semi decent if GP3 HW mode dont work and GP4s sound doesnt work? Whats ur graphics card and sound card?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 13, 2004 09:38PM
Posted by: Stan
he must have a riva Tnt and a PII cpu ;)

Date: August 13, 2004 09:42PM
Err, 2.4GHz Celeron, 768MB RAM, GeForce FX5200. Not really that bad. Makes a noise like a F1 car at times too (cheap and nasty fan)
Date: August 13, 2004 10:13PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
wtf? What are you doing that you cant get HW mode on GP3 to work!?

Sound card?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2004 10:17PM by DaveEllis.
Date: August 13, 2004 10:16PM
Posted by: katunga
Personally, I think is better GP4 than F1C. I have both, and let me tell ya F1C is crap if you have the "standard" game. It´s very good for the mods and online playing, but unless you have an awesome comp is very laggy on graphics even in offline mode and low detail, which is understable online. My comp is not a rocket (1.8 P IV, 128 RAM, on-board video) and maybe F1C doesn´t run properly on it, but I have GP4 running with 80% graphics settings on the same machine, and graphics are superb with 22 FPS on race.
On the physics department, I still prefer GP4. A F1 car goes literally as over rails by the massive downforce and not like F1C where you can slide at corners as a rally car. The AI is horrible (altough GP4 AI does stupid moves when defending positions). GP4 tracks are a result of GPS, F1C ones not (Hungaroring shorty straights are double in extension than GP4). The mods are fantastic, the old ETCC was superb. Being myself raced online with ETCC, I can tell you is very, very nice. But once more is very good for online races envolving 4 or 5 cars but not for who wants a true F1 SIM.
Maybe GP4 lacks of new tracks (I know there´re people working on that, to put new tracks in GP4), but has new cars, new mods, and editors for every use.
Date: August 13, 2004 11:16PM
Posted by: Willb
"on-board video"

Thts why....onboard Sux!
Date: August 14, 2004 12:12AM
Posted by: katunga
Willb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "on-board video"
>
> Thts why....onboard Sux!

I agree but still is a better sim than F1C

Date: August 14, 2004 04:09AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
For F1 simulation GP4 is best by a long shot in terms of the whole package.
F1C has more advanced physics or you can change a lot more like camber and toe.
F1C has better FFB too... GTR will be the next best thing imo which is based upon the ISI engine which made F1C although it will be much better than F1C. IT will have GPS tracks, awesome GFX, very realistic sounds, online play.
I started my self made 2001 season on ace level in GP4 and luv it:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2004 04:13AM by AveryGPFan.
Date: August 14, 2004 11:23AM
It's a GeForce FX. Detonator drivers stuff up the controls. Old Detonator drivers don't recognise my card. Maybe I've got problems with my machine as katunga seems to be able to run GP4 OK
Date: August 14, 2004 11:59AM
Posted by: MysticalCrayon
the best thing about f1c is its modding

it doesnt crash every time you change something
Date: August 14, 2004 02:13PM
Posted by: Mika-F1
i think both have their advantages and disandvantages. F1C's graphics look better WHEN you have installed RH2003 and all the track updates. the setup and the physics are more complex then in gp4. the menus are better designed and there will be a new menu with the CTDP 2004 Mod. the non-plus-ultra is the very realistic sound !! i have better performance, too. I run it with almost every detail and QQ-AA + 2xAF and in race i have 30fps (start) - 60 fps with the Hi-Res Track updates and RH2003.
XP1700+, gf4 ti4200@4600, 512 DDR, winXP, k7s5a, sb live! 5.1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2004 02:17PM by Mika-F1.
Date: August 14, 2004 03:14PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
This has come up so many times...

Here's a comaprison I did about a year ago. There's a few things that are wrong now (including the spelling of someone's name, I think the GP4 physics person), but it gives a good idea.

[www.grandprixgames.org]

Date: August 14, 2004 04:58PM
Posted by: Willb
ty go alesi
Date: August 15, 2004 02:09AM
Posted by: LS.
[forum.rscnet.org]

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy