LO2K or madman possibly, about tarmac mapping

Posted by Caelen 
LO2K or madman possibly, about tarmac mapping
Date: July 19, 2004 05:44AM
Posted by: Caelen
is it possible to change the way gp4 handles the tarmacmap.tex.
currently it uses the map 8 times across the road and 4 times across in the distance(from cockpit and tcam). from trackside cameras it seems to be repeated only 2 or 3 times.the problem is ive got some really great highres tarmac which look crap in gp4 bexause of the fact it is repeated so many times across the track.

eg

as you can see from track cam the tarmac looks ok as its only repeated a few times but from tcam it looks a bit ordinary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2004 05:46AM by Caelen.
the top pic looks pretty good, wouldnt have noticed if you hadnt told me
Re: LO2K or madman possibly, about tarmac mapping
Date: July 19, 2004 12:32PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hmm, it looks obvious in your screens but I can't see any solution at first sight.
I will make some tests on my side...

Date: July 19, 2004 01:34PM
you can see the problem, but still... the tarmac looks great, nice work :)

Date: July 19, 2004 04:27PM
Posted by: markko
Tarmac looks great there :)
sweet tarmac there!

are those tyres available anywhere? they are amazing!!
You guys are right, the tarmac looks good.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2004 06:18PM by Tigershark.
OT : Caelen , in your HI-RES tracks , do you modify the pit walls texture to 04 order ? or you dont modify it at all ?
Date: July 20, 2004 09:46AM
i havent touche dthe pit textures at all, im really only interested in those textures that you can see when playing the game. the next few tracks im doing will be based on ricardos 2004 tracks, so the pits will already be done.
caelen your hi - res tracks are beautiful and the only reqason why i now enjoy suzuka but is it possible you could give me a link to hungary as i cant find that hi-res track
Date: July 29, 2004 04:26PM
Posted by: ingaer
where can i find the tyres of the screen?thanks
Soon at Gp4italia!!!! :)

Date: July 29, 2004 11:03PM
Posted by: Madman271
Sorry I didn't noticed this topic. It seems you trying to reduce the repetition of tarmac texture, right? This is probably controlled by jam manager, I let Lo2k to confirm this. Ricardo Lampert in my opinion is one of the expert for jam manipulation, and Lo2k maybe can find the solution to reduce texture repetition.

Another possibility is number of "segment" in track shape. Lo2k also already know the structure of tarmac shape stored in .gp4 track.wad. Maybe by reduce the "segment" from e.g. 8 rectangles to 4 rectangles can do the trick.

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Date: July 30, 2004 09:38AM
ok good to hear some progress, maybe there might be a solution, though im not sure if its to do with track segments as the same bit of track can have a different number of tarmac maps depending on camera angles and distances
Caelen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok good to hear some progress, maybe there might
> be a solution, though im not sure if its to do
> with track segments as the same bit of track can
> have a different number of tarmac maps depending
> on camera angles and distances

well i think this only aplies on cockpit view, the rest is all the same, just the cockpit view is the very strange one.

Whao, seems this project is having developments! :D
BTW, to all of you that were interested in Caelen's tyres, they're available now at Gp4Italia (click)!

Date: July 30, 2004 09:12PM
Posted by: Lo2k
OK, I finally got some time today to make some tests.

using a simple blue and red square, i got the following result:

As i wrote and as you can see, there's some mipmapping applied here to tarmacmap.tex and it is done in real time based on distance of the segment from the camera.
The matter is that it can't be fixed using 0 mipmaps in the f1graphics.cfg file so i assume that as for .jip files, this is a remanent part of the software mipmapping code Microprose added to GP2.
And thus the only way I can see to fix this would be to ask Madman or SDI if they can force 0 mipmaps for this software mipmapping but I don't know if it is pssible.

Date: July 30, 2004 09:21PM
Posted by: _tux_
the circus has invaded f1 :D
Date: July 30, 2004 10:54PM
oh bugger, thanks for looking into it LO2K
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy