New TexResizer 1.5 : who can handle 2048*2048 textures ?

Posted by Lo2k 
I don't like one 2048 squared texture , cause that will lead my photoshop very slow and map the car very difficult.
@Enzojz: As said Erwin, I added the possibility to use 2048 textures as in GTR, you are not forced to use such resolution.

@Erwin: Hmm, did you read the gp4form.txt given with TexResizer ? ;)

not at 01:01AM when i just downloaded it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2004 12:58PM by erwin_78.
@Lo2k

(This is my first reply to you. Thank you for your great Utilities & Editors.)
I've been using previous version of TexResizer. And new TexResizer 1.5 is a good news for me because, as commented above, it will expand the possibility of carpainting. Editors can select 1024 textures or 2048 textures according to their purpose of carpainting. That is what I've dreamt of. I don't have enough time now, so I've not tested TexResizer 1.5 yet, sorry. But I will this weekend. Thank you Lo2k. I appreciate your great effort ! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2004 05:00PM by Tommi Mokinen.
Great Erwin, so you downloaded it finally ;)

Thanks Tommi, I'm glad that new features I added to Texresizer should help or/and please you :)
I made tools to give You (all modders) editing possibilities and I am rewarded for that each time i can see some shot showing some editing that wasn't possible without one of my tool or each time someone tell me he tries my tool and want to go deeper with it.

Sometimes GP4 Players are thanking tools maker but this time it's a tool maker that would to thank all players using his tools to enhance GP4 any further :)
Thanks to you all :)

i quite like the idea of using one single 2048x2048 texture for each team, it would certainly cut down the number of files to be compressed within the cars.wad. might have to persuade Bojan to give it a wee test ;)

[edit] okay, i've done a quick test to see what the effect a 2048 texture has on filesize and by pasting all 3 ferrari tga's from Bojan's F2004 onto the 2048 texture, alpha channels and all. the result? the 2048 tga was the same size as the 3 1024 ferrari tga's, which is expected, only the effect on PO with a single 2048 texture still needs to be investigated. all in all, if the effect on PO is the same as using 3 1024 tga's then things could be much more tidier in the cars.wad. then again, editing 2048 textures is painfully slow (on my poor ass pc anyway)

[edit2] turns out that the filesize jamp up a megabyte. looks like 2048 textures arren't the way to go afterall

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2004 02:34AM by Spike02.
maybe not now , but since we wont have a gp5 , 2048 maybe the future :)
turns out that the filesize jamp up a megabyte.

a 2048 is 5.4 mb, so its 4 times a 1024 (a.3mb)
i'd have trouble editing such a big file, but it could be done on 1024 and all pasted together at the end.
or maybe 2048x1024 would be ok?

____
Tony

my bar 04 *illegal* temaplte is 2048x2048 its a top quality size to work from!
euhm, dont want to ruin anybody's party, but why are all you uys just focussing on a square texture? I think 1024*2048 would be the best way to go.

Posted by: b-tone (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2004 06:54AM

or maybe 2048x1024 would be ok?

didn't ruin my party ;)

____
Tony

can't you map 2 cars on 1 texture ? ;-)

like a 2048x2048 texture and the left 1024 are for the ferrari and the right 1024 are for the williams or something like that ;)

NS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can't you map 2 cars on 1 texture ?
>
> like a 2048x2048 texture and the left 1024 are for
> the ferrari and the right 1024 are for the
> williams or something like that
>
>

and that would be handy because......... ? cant we tehn make car models with 2 in one also? That would really be great :+

Well, It's obvious that you can map the 2 cars of the same team on the same High res texture but that's not new.

Using 2 cars livery on the same texture is not advisable if you will want to change only one car in future...

2048 is ok for super hi res, but i think its actually best to be flexible. as csm can easily make track specific wads, then it might be best to map changeable areas to smaller textures. so if a team has a different front wing every race but otherwise no changes, then map the front wing to a 128x128(?) so making track spec will only require swapping one small tex (17 times) instead of a really big one. 17 times. now back to cider...

____
Tony

by using 1 big tga you lose the possibility to cut down the PO at lower lods. the original gp4 uses just two tex's for the lowest lods.

rectangular textures seem nice but remember that mapping the car in ZM takes place on a square surface. it is possible though by scaling the mapping in one direction by 50% but it would make the mapping and texturing a bit tougher.

oh and what's wrong with 768x768 or 1536x1536?

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]
I think the resolution must be a power of 2 ;-)
I think the resolution must be a power of 2
That's it.

hehe, I've never been wrong in that kind of situation ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy