New TexResizer 1.5 : who can handle 2048*2048 textures ?

Posted by Lo2k 
Yes, you read right, you can now set texture size to 2048*2048.

If they can do it in GTR, i told me, why can't we do it in GP4 ? :p
And we can.

I also added a new transparency switch to use 1bit transparency with DXT1 texture files. it might sound as barbarian but it's simply a texture format using basic transparency and not suffering the Z-Buffer bug as one seen on new Caelen's Suzuka track (or simpler on all original melbourne's bridges).

Add to this many bugfixes and here it is.

No history log this time as I told you everything in the above lines, just a preview:

isn't it a nice iea to have a proper tex->tga and vice versa tool? :)
Gp4master is the only one that works in a way, but it's a bit comprehensive (?) Because it's just a side feature.

2048*2048 sounds nice btw, we can make descend helmets with that right :+

wow thats fast work, ill try out the texture fix now. thanks again of course.
aha , I tried to use 2048 textures on F1-2000 at first but in that way , Photoshop made my computer move very slowly , so I gave up
can you explain "transparency" in details?If checked , what will happen to ordinary textures?
if the transparency is checked then the black part of alpha channel is transparent and whit part solid, but only supports 1 bit alpha ie black/white. to get the full 8 bit greyscale alph you need one of the special dxt5 tex files which can only be made by modifying an existing one.
by using LO2Ks method you can have multiple textures with transparencies overlapping without the display being corrupted in game. ie trees/fences/guardrails etc

check this post as LO2K gives a good explanation

[www.grandprixgames.org]

tried this on suzuka and worked fine, ive now gone back to original guard rails.
thank you LO2K

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2004 07:42AM by Caelen.
great little tool l02k, very useful :)

:) Thanks all. It's nothing to do.

@Dave: Yes, I'm thinking about a separate tool too but I'm still need to study .tex and .dxt files deeper before anything. Changing a value is simple, decrypting 4 full compressed images is something else. Nothing impossible anyhow.

yeah we need a good tga> tex converter as the gp4master fecks up the tgas when converting to tex :S

It has nothing to do with GP4Master quality, it's due to .Tex format.
And GP4Master is perfect as is, the only thing I could maybe enhance is in the downsample process but I'm far from building my own tool yet.

hi,

Sorry its a bit off topic Lo2K but any advances on the Atmospheric haze..Im still waiting :-P

Cheers

Willb
Really ??

Waiting for what ?

ah i see
can it be improved then?

But if the textures where 2048 x 2048, the .tex files would be something like 2.5/3 MB each meaning that the 'Cars.wad' file would be huge if had a grid of cars with all 2048 x 2048 textures.

Could it be possible to use an alterate file format to reduce the size of the files?? (JPG, TGA, etc). Perhaps a new challenge for the GP4 Community.

Just an Idea.....

But Great Work Lo2k!
one advantage of 2048 texes I can see is only slightly increasing the quality of the texture but mapping an entire car onto a single 2048 tex, rather than three or more 1024 texes (remember the area will be quadrupled)... of course 2048 texes will also mean uber-high res graphics, but I just hope not too many people do this :P
Well, theoretically, there are better algorythms to compress textures to DXT1 format but using such algorythms needs more time and some other tools:there's some command line tools or a photoshop plug-in but both are quite hard to use compare to GP4Master which already do a good job.

.Tex file should also theorethically store uncompressed textures, meaning no quality loss but it also mean that textures will be 4 (for transparent textures) to 8 (for opaque textures) size bigger ! and anyhow, my latest attempt using such uncompressed format failed so maybe GP4 doesn't handle them.

@Montoya: That's precisely because .Tex file use the best compression ratio that they have such quality troubles. We can't have any better ratio than what we have yet.

In terms of memory usage, I don't know if using one 2048*2048 textures is better than using four 1024*1024 ones. For car modders, it would be interesting as they could build bigger mappings area (for the whole length of the car, side or top).

lol...My game went quite jerky when i use 512x512 textures for that Cracked tarmac..is there anyway to reduce the performance hit...
Hmm, there are few chances that the replacement of the single tarmac texture to a new one would cause you a great hit in performance, very few...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply...

What do you mean the replacment of the single tarmac texture..im still only using 1?

Well i will be if i start my project again as i lost the old texture..

Thanks

Willb
chill dudes, he only created the possiblity! He didn't create the 2048 themselves...go complain to your hardware dealer, he's the one with those high prices we do it all for free!

But laurent, wouldn't that create problems for extracting the tga again from the tex file (when the bit is set)? I could be mistaken, by mis-reading your story :)
(Will tell you if it fails when i try)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy