Cracked tarmac V1

Posted by Willb 
Cracked tarmac V1
Date: May 22, 2004 12:08PM
Posted by: Willb
Hi all..

I decided to make the tarmac look a bit more 'real' by adding cracks to it...
i extracted the tarmac tex file from the imola wad pained some cracks on it.. I put it into the game and i saw them whn i turn of bump mapping (which was expected) but the cracks are too frequesnt so i resized trhe tarmac texure to 512 by 512 insted of 128 x 128 and added more cracks further apart.. I made a selection of the whole image (i.e Ctrl+A) saved the alpha channel as Alpha Channel 1 and converted to a tex in GP4 Master..downsapled the texture etc.. then laoded the game..i found that ony one variation if the crack was schowing and the texture was cut off outside of the 128 x 128 boundry.. here is the texure i wanted to put in the game.:

and here is the results ingame:

but the prbelm is only some of the image is tiled and i see only one of the cracks and it occutrs too oftern e.g:

Can anyone please tell me how to use a large texture (i.e a 512x152 pixel one) so that i can use a greater variety of cracks and make them occur less frequent..

also it there a way of editing the bump map so that i can add cracks to that... because i prefer the tarmac with bump mapping on as i have the hi res bump map which loks very nice..

Thanks

If anyone in the know wants to test these textures please email (wbithrey@hotmail.com) WITH THE SUBJECT AS: 'GP4 Tarmac Cracks' (without the quotes) If you do not use this subject it is likely that i WONT get your e-mail

Thank you

I hope this is the star of a successfull project that will enhance this wonderful game even more...

Best Regards

Will

(Tell me what you think of the new textures...Opinions in this thread welcome...)
Re: Cracked tarmac V1
Date: May 22, 2004 01:08PM
Posted by: Lo2k
To be able to change size of the texture used by the .tex file, you need to change it first with TexResizer (clic my banner below to find it).
As yo obviously didn't uesd it, gp4 is still using the 128*128 square size texture on top left of your 512*512 texture and that's why you can only see you horizontal crack.

About texture used under bumpmap, i can't remind where it is but it should not be much hidden.

Date: May 22, 2004 01:13PM
Posted by: team cason
tarmac bump map texture is in

extracted wad of a circuit\maps\resources

Date: May 22, 2004 01:43PM
Posted by: Enzojz
You can enlarge the textures by making 3 or 15 copies of this one and put them rigth and bottom of the extrened baroder of the origianl textures , i meant , resize the size of the origial and put 4 samples or 16 samples into a big one , then add crackes
Date: May 22, 2004 03:14PM
Thanks for your help every one

Enzojz can you explain agsain,..very sorry but i don't quite understand.

Thanks

These are goin to look great when there done..!
Date: June 21, 2004 09:11PM
Came back to my old topic...Lost my Cracked tarmac...Might start again as Lo2ks updated Tex resizer is out..is there any way of editing the track so that i can use the High res bump map and Add cracks to that..or is that not possible?

Also how could i increase performance when i use a larger track texture. e.g a 512 by 512 or a 786x786?

Which would be the best size and also why do the cracks look much larger if they are further away...

Thanks

I really want to get a good set of results of nice looking realistic tarmac..thanks

Regards

Willb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy