Posted by HogInfinity 
Question about framerate and GP4
Date: November 26, 2021 05:49PM
Posted by: HogInfinity
Hi

I would like to have your opinion on the framerate of GP4 :

So I have a Ryzen 7 37000x and RTX 3060ti
With GpxPatch I have to set the CPU to 0 because on All it crashes
But with the CPU 0 I can't exceed 30fps because of the PO.

Do you know if there is a way to have a smooth game at 60 fps with the CPU 0 or I am forced to have a game at 30 ?
Re: Question about framerate and GP4
Date: November 26, 2021 08:06PM
Posted by: firebreather
I had this even after I had just built myself a new high spec PC. I was still getting rubbish PO and stuttering. It's because GP4 can only normally use 1 core of the CPU. If you set it to All in GpxPatch, it's great for a few minutes, but then randomly crashes.

However, after being very annoyed for a while, then doing some research, I found dgvoodoo where you can get it to run on DirectX12 and use all the cores without crashing.

I've mentioned it before here and this shows the settings you need: [www.grandprixgames.org]

There's a slightly weird side affect that you get extra shine on the cars at certain angles, and you can't use the 3d/distance Reshade presets which do like quite nice, but it's a small price to pay to have it running smooth!

It looks like there's also DxWnd which may do the same thing, but I'm too scared to disable dgvoodoo in case I can't ever get it back to that again!
Date: November 26, 2021 08:10PM
Posted by: zifox
It's quite strange, because I don't have difference in PO whatever CPU option I choose, and I have a Ryzen5 3600. It's stable around 30% @60fps.
(and almost all options to the max)

Can you track the CPU frequency ? Maybe the CPU doesn't realize that a game is running and isn't "revving up" ? (open Radeon drivers and go into Performance pane, under the CPU usage you can display more measures, like CPU frequency, temp, etc...)
Sometimes it can be useful to use a "performance" setting to make sure the CPU/GPU isn't in eco mode.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2021 08:12PM by zifox.
Date: November 27, 2021 04:23PM
zifox écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you track the CPU frequency ? Maybe the CPU
> doesn't realize that a game is running and isn't
> "revving up" ? (open Radeon drivers and go into
> Performance pane, under the CPU usage you can
> display more measures, like CPU frequency, temp,
> etc...)

I looked at it and the core is running well at full speed (4200Mhz)
But I'm at 360%PO in onboard and 250%PO in TV Cam with 60fps

Also I have almost all the options at full and some heavy mods but it still seems strange to me

Thanks firebreather I'm going to look into it ! (Even if I use Reshade unfortunately)
Date: November 28, 2021 10:15AM
Posted by: zifox
HogInfinity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I looked at it and the core is running well at
> full speed (4200Mhz)
> But I'm at 360%PO in onboard and 250%PO in TV Cam
> with 60fps
>

Seems a lot like the issue we can have with Windows 3 to run GP3, and the only solutions are, like firebreather stated, to use dgvoodoo or dxwnd. But it's really weird to have that issue with GP4 since the directx version GP4 is using is still available with Win10. Have you tried installing older directx / runtime versions ?
Date: November 28, 2021 10:26PM
I started to test with Voodoo, in 6 races I crashed once
I don't know if the crash was a bad manipulation on my part but overall it's a good sign
I will continue to run the game and I will see

Is there a way to keep my Reshade filters?
I had redone the colorimetry to have a realistic visual but I think that replacing the d3d9.dll broke Reshade
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy