How do i make this thing run faster? !!!

Posted by f14ever 
How do i make this thing run faster? !!!
Date: February 29, 2004 03:42PM
Posted by: f14ever
This is a quality game but i'm having trouble making it run at a decent resolution and graphic settings.

I have an Athlon 2400xp+, 512mb ddr 2100 ram, and a geforce 3 ti200 graphics card, nforce2 motherboard with on board sound.

I run at 800x600, with pretty much all at low settings with shadows, reflections, bump mapping etc all disabled, i run with all objects on main view and no mirrors,

still this runs at pretty much at full settings in a race, and even higher than 100 processor occupancy at slow corners,

is there anyway of improving this, i have latest drivers etc (as far as i'm aware),

also if i have a network game over lan, with one over computer should i decrease the graphic settings? or does it not make a difference?

thanks guys
Re: How do i make this thing run faster? !!!
Date: February 29, 2004 05:13PM
Posted by: Peter Dunham
Man half ya luck , dunno why it would be slow for you , i have a very old P3 450 yes a " P3 " with a few mods thrown at it and i run mostly Vipers cars as low res as i can get them and i run at 110 to 120 PO but out in front on my own 75ish PO

Refuse to Lose
Date: March 01, 2004 03:43AM
Posted by: Gixxer777
What framerate setting are you using?
Date: March 01, 2004 05:54AM
The frame rate is about 20fps, but some times it runs alot slower,

i was wondering if there is anything you can do to make the thing run quicker and let me run at a better setting
Date: March 01, 2004 06:49AM
Posted by: ralv585
you need to fiddle around with your f1graphics.cfg, you can find it in your gp4 folder, or go into your control panel, click on sound and audio devices, there will be a speaker settings tab, click on advanced, click on hardware acceleration, switch it to basic or standard, and the sound quality to standard or improved, it worked with me and i've got a PIII 667 running at 30fps, it was all down to sound and tweaking of the graphics.cfg.
Date: March 01, 2004 03:05PM
Posted by: Max Downforce
try 800*600*16 (16 bit) it may not look as nice as 800*600 or more but it sure plays better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: March 02, 2004 07:18PM
Posted by: Gixxer777
Sounds like something in your system is set wrong to me.

My XP1800 maintains 30+ fps at 1024x768 with medium detail settings, cars only in mirrors, and 2x Antialiasing and 4x Anisotropic filtering.

You do have a minor hit against you in running PC2100 (266mhz DDR) ram, but since your FSB runs at 266 also, the difference of pc2700 shouldn't be too significant.

Also, your GF3 Ti-200 is a pretty slow card relative to what is available these days... it's roughly equivelent to a Radeon 8500 in terms of most benchmarks, which is to say that a FX5700 Ultra or Radeon 9600xt would be much faster when playing most games... GP4 however is highly processor dependant, which is why your performance seems strange.

I'd love to see how your system is configured in terms of bios settings, etc, and also run something like Hijackthis to see if you have a lot of unnecessary or unfriendly services (read: trackers, autoupdaters, download apps, etc) eating up resources.

If you use MSN messenger, please add me to your list (above email address) and shoot me a message. I'll be glad to walk you through some things which may help to determine the problem.

Post Edited (03-03-04 02:20)
Date: March 03, 2004 01:51AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
He runs on board sound and there is your problem

Date: March 03, 2004 04:02AM
i got someone's f1graphics cfg file and it improved it, significantly but there is still alot of slow downs,

now i'm running at 1024 x 768, but it still experiences a lot of slow downs, it runs ok then at every slow corner it goes real slow.

ravl585, i've looked at my control panel, i only have sound and multiemedia, and i cant seem to find the tab you mentioned (i have windows me)

sorry for all this i'm ususally pretty good with computers!
Date: March 03, 2004 04:13AM
Posted by: joostingh
Do not use Windows ME. In dutch we call it "Meer Elende" = More Elende

But further you have to look what for programs you have running. Try the newest drivers etc.
Date: March 03, 2004 04:23AM
yeah i have all of the latest drivers and there is pratically nothing running on my pc, i clean it up reguraly only having what i need loading on startup
Date: March 03, 2004 08:10AM
Posted by: NickKK
Whoever said the Radeon 8500 is equivalent to the Ti200 has been smoking something suspicious its over 3 times faster. I have a 8500 rig that I used to play GP4 on and run it on 1280x1024 16AF and everything apart bump maps coz its annoying. FPS is set to 36 and I get PO of around 50-60 so please...
Date: March 03, 2004 08:11AM
Posted by: ralv585
do your other games play poorly too, or is it just gp4?
Date: March 03, 2004 09:32AM
i don't buy many 3d games for the pc (or play them)

i have rally championship from 1999, which runs really good

but i don't buy many new 3d games because i generally tend to have problems (and its easier to play on a playstation)

i got gp4 because all the ps2 grand prix games are pretty rubbish
Date: March 03, 2004 01:49PM
Posted by: JvMan
f14ever wrote:

> all the ps2 grand prix games are pretty
> rubbish

That is thing where you are 100% right!

But btw you can`t make comparison between 2 cards with only 1 game. You need more games and testing.

Date: March 04, 2004 06:29AM
i've got it running really well apart from the fact it suffers from a lot of slow downs, i'm gonna get more ram and a new graphics card in the summer,

does anyone know if i can mix and match different speed memory? i.e. a 512mb ddr2100 and a ddr 512mb ddr2700, and what is the best graphics card for under £100
Date: March 04, 2004 10:33AM
Posted by: NickKK
About mixing RAM it's generally not a good idea, firstly because most ram makes are not compatible with others, secondly because if you have pc2100 you'll have to run the 2700 at 2100 rates as well so I'd sell off the pc2100 soon as I can if I were you.
You can get a radeon 9700pro for under 100 quid if you're lucky and are not bothered about it being OEM, I got a 9800pro for 111pounds and I'm a happy camper :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy