Monaco Tunnel Light Effect

Posted by Dan 
Monaco Tunnel Light Effect
Date: January 23, 2004 06:58PM
Posted by: Dan
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Sorry if this has been discussed already but I've been lurking here for a while now and I've not seen this issue talked about yet.

When I first played GP4, early last year, I distinctly remember that when I drove into the Monaco tunnel and I was in cockpit mode, there was a "flash" of darkness that appeared on the screen, as if to simulate human eyes getting used to the sudden change in light. The same thing happened on exiting the tunnel, only this time the screen went white, and then faded back to the normal brightness. I don't recall seeing this effect happen on any other circuit, although my memory may be playing tricks on me! :)

Anyway... to the point... since at least halfway through last year, it's stopped doing this effect. I don't know what I changed, but I can't get it to do this effect any more. I've tinkered around with my f1graphics.cfg a fair bit but with no success so far. I've also put all of the 2003 cars, helmets, visors, etc on the game from various car makers, so I don't know if that was the problem.

So... anyone able to help? It might be a really simple thing to sort for all I know, but like I said, I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Monaco Tunnel Light Effect
Date: January 23, 2004 08:03PM
Posted by: Xero
Really?! I've never noticed this before! You sure it was GP4?!

Date: January 23, 2004 08:06PM
Heheh, yeah, positive. I only have 3 main games on this PC so it wasn't anything else.

I might reinstall the game at some point and see if it does the effect then, just to reassure myself I'm not going mad, and I didn't imagine it. But in all seriousness, yeah, it definitely did this effect for a while.
Date: January 23, 2004 08:15PM
I don't understand why I havn't seen it... I have everything cranked on full! (I think!) If you figure out how to enable it, please tell me!

Date: January 23, 2004 10:00PM
Sod's law in action: I spend half a year trying to work out why the lighting effect disappeared, with no luck. Then I post a topic about it and solve the problem myself several hours later...

I only got a decent graphics card recently, before that I had to play GP4 on 11fps, and it struggled even with that. Now I've got a Radeon 9600XT, I've been increasing lots of details within the game, fps, things like that.

Well, I went into my f1graphics.cfg and set the "Enable AdvancedCarShader v2" option to 1. Voila, it now works! :) Also, it's not just on the cockpit, it's any on-car view including the chase cameras.

If anyone's enabled this and they're still not getting this lighting effect, let me know and I'll upload my f1graphics.cfg file for people to look at and try and figure out why. :)

Post Edited (01-24-04 05:02)
Date: January 23, 2004 11:00PM
Posted by: Ellis
It is an impressive effect which adds to the realism

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 24, 2004 02:11AM
Posted by: fongu
You'll find it is this line:)

[MAIN VIEW] Draw lens flare (0 => off, 1 => 'real' camera views only, 2 => all views but cockpit, 3 => always)

Date: January 24, 2004 02:28AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
You have to enable the gamma or something too, but that means you get tinted visors which I hate!

It is a good effect though, even if it does send the PO sky high

Date: January 24, 2004 03:29AM
Posted by: NS
hmm I hadn't problems with that on my old pc (amd800mhz) and on my new one (3,06ghz), that PO rise thingy
Date: January 24, 2004 05:18AM
Got it working.... nice effect!

Date: January 24, 2004 08:19AM
Posted by: Didigp4
I remember this effect also and had lost it too ;-) But now I know how this works, so I'am looking forward to try it on my future PC (p4 3.0 Ghz with Ati Radeon 9800 Pro :) )

Post Edited (01-24-04 15:21)

----------------------------

Didigp4
Date: January 24, 2004 11:42AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I have it happen on both my PCs (the rise in PO). It's only for about a second when it happens so it's not too bad really. But the tinted visors are what I hate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy