gp4 freezes with ati radeon

Posted by Muttley 
gp4 freezes with ati radeon
Date: January 19, 2004 12:52PM
Posted by: Muttley
Hi,
I'm using Caelen's f1graphics.cfg (from this forum) and when i play gp4, it looks fantastic with a low p.o. - however, the screen and the sound keep randomly freezing. i've searched and read in other posts about turning the sound hardware acceleration down, but im not sure if that would make any difference here, as the problem has only occured since it put in my new graphics card. any ideas folks? btw my card is a Radeon 9600 128Mb (one before pro) and my soundcard is a soundblaster live platinum. the old gfx card was a geforce 2 64mb.
Re: gp4 freezes with ati radeon
Date: January 19, 2004 11:39PM
Posted by: NastyByDesign
Don`t know why it should be doing that, done the usual i take it, latest drivers....Omega drivers seem to be best for ati if not cat 3.10, directx 9b...all other drivers upto date...if that fails, i know i had this problem but not so bad, just slow...is that you have to installed everything...i mean a fresh install of windows and then go from there...
When i went from a nvidia to ati, the old nvidia drivers kept crashing my system somehow...did a fresh install and haven`t had any problems since

Hope this helps

Later

Ian

Coolermaster HAF XM Case | Asus Sabertooth Z77 Board | Intel i7 3770K@4.2ghz | Thermalright Silver Arrow | 8gb Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 | nVidia GTX 480 | 2x60gb Corsair Force GT SSD in RAID0 | 2xSeagate 1TB HD | Logitech G25 Wheel
Date: January 20, 2004 03:09AM
Posted by: Caelen
well i also have problems with gp4 and my radeon but it dont freeze it just reboots my computer, i think its just the drivers arent as good enough yet
Date: January 20, 2004 03:11AM
Posted by: fongu
Well i sometimes get it with most games, but less with GP4, only when i used acclerated sound. So i think ive got a conflict somewhere with my drivers and my OS.

Date: January 20, 2004 04:42AM
Posted by: Fullers F1
I also have this problem occasionally, but I use Asus Geforce 4 4600ti so I don't think it's specifically a Radeon problem.
Under high load your mobo can generate EMI spikes (electromagnetic inteference) which can cause a boost in clock speed. This can cause the processor to lock up. This is more common if you overclock your CPU. If you have the option in your Bios set-up to enable "Spread Spectrum" you could try this. It will slightly reduce performance (I don't think you would notice !) but it will reduce EMI spikes and and improve stability.
I have overclocked both mobo and graphics card and this has almost eliminated my locking up problem.

Hope this throws a little more light on your problem.
Date: January 20, 2004 04:50AM
Posted by: fongu
ah cool......... you would have thought they would know about the EMI and think about the EMC, but anyways, im only interested coz i have an exam on EMC on Thursday.... argh!

Date: January 20, 2004 05:45AM
cheers folks gonna try a few things now...
Date: January 20, 2004 10:01PM
Posted by: ferrariace
Yeah I have to try that too,Gp4 ran just fine then one day it would pause for a split second then it would be fine,F1 2002 does it too.Since I have spread spectrum disabled maybe turning it on will fix it.

AMD64 3200+ Asus A8V-Deluxe 1 gig DDR - Radeon X800xl
Audigy4 - Seagate 80gig and 160 gig
DFP
Date: January 21, 2004 09:31PM
Posted by: schaller
COOL IT!! those radion 9700+ boards run hot. and will reset in a heartbeat. I opened my box, put a fan on it andit does not reset when the fan is on it.
just a thought.

Schaller
Date: January 25, 2004 05:01PM
I tried a full reinstall of GP4, enabled the spread spectrum in the BIOS, and installed the OMEGA drivers. It ran ok for a while, with a few brief pauses, but has started crashing again.... :(

@ schaller, the fan sounds like a good idea. how easy is it to fit one? ive a feeling this might be the best plan, as i think caelen's .cfg file must push the hardware quite a bit.

Also @ caelen - is there anything you could alter in the cfg to maybe ease the strain on the card? the PO is very low so i guess the card is taking most of the punishment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy