Looking for fps? remember your agp drivers.

Posted by LarryM 
Looking for fps? remember your agp drivers.
Date: December 27, 2003 03:20PM
Posted by: LarryM
Fiddling arounfd with F1C and stumbled upon the fact that I have not installed agp drivers for my card. Did so and got 70% more fps inthat game. Funny thing is GP4 has been running like a dream everything maxed x4AAx16AF at steady 35 fps rain or no rain. I have not had time to check what fps I can get now with sgp driver installed. So Ask yourselves the question... It took me a while.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: Looking for fps? remember your agp drivers.
Date: December 27, 2003 03:31PM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
what are agp drivers ? :)
Date: December 27, 2003 03:53PM
Posted by: Guimengo
and where do we get them???

Date: December 27, 2003 04:03PM
Posted by: F1Crazy
WTF are agp graphics drivers??? Surely the latest driver for your specific card will provide you with the best performance...

Or are you just confused?? ;)

Date: December 27, 2003 04:21PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Well your motherboard manufacturer should have supplied a cd giving lan, agp, sound and chipset drivers with your mobo, so look onj the motherboard's drtiver cd. I'd recommend uninstalling your gfx card drivers first tho, then install agp, then gfx card drivers.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 27, 2003 05:41PM
Posted by: tux
f1crazy, agp drivers and gfx drivers are 2 different things

Date: December 28, 2003 02:20AM
Yes, 2 different things. Cos I didn't install my AGP drivers (or they were corrupted), my ATI control panel would not allow x8 agp nor fast writes. Strange. When I checked out the dxdiag (for directx) I found that AGP acceleleration was disabled /not available. I then Checked the status and found that my Radeon was using PCI but not agp. I downloaded the latest Nforce2 agp drivers from EPox (my MOBO's manufacturer), installed them and MAGIC! ;)
I only mention all this, because I know many of you may be struggling with fps issues.

Anyway with the new agp drivers GP4 runs even better than before. Actually, I am amazed that I got such good performance without agp acceleration. I run a race in the rain at Silverstone to test this. Before I could run at 35fps and this would drop to 29 sitting at the atart art the back of the grid. After turn 1 it would fgo back up to 35fps. Replays were about the same. I run at 1280x1024 everything maxed. Static environmental mapping.

After installing new agp drivers there was no drop in fps at all at the beginning of the race. So I increased fps to 45, increased resolution to 1600x1200. FPS droped to 35fps at the beginning of the race and rose to 45 by Turn 1. I turned on dynamic environmental mapping and fps dropped to 30 at the start in replay and rose to 40-45 fps throughout the rest of the race. The resolution at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 seemed to make no difference to the fps rate. The game looks and performs like a dream.

As I mentioned above, F1C is now beginning to perform reasonably well - following a race replay now looks fine, but at the start on the grid GP4 handles it better.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: December 28, 2003 03:48AM
Posted by: markko
Sounds like good news. I might do the same when I get my 9600XT through the post!!

Cant wait!

Date: December 28, 2003 05:59PM
Posted by: jginete
i have a question here. Where can i get the latest drivers /BIOS for my motherboard? it's a Intel i7205

Date: December 28, 2003 10:11PM
I assume it is a Tyan Trinity mobo you have. In that case go get it here (I think it should be under intel inf:
[www.tyan.com]
I'm afraid that's as close as I could find with my search in a short time.

Larry
Date: December 29, 2003 03:45AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Flashing your bios is a little dodgy, you need to be really carefu with doing that.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 29, 2003 03:47AM
Posted by: Alex13
I updated my bios version (I suppose it updates everything, Agp included) but I couldnt see any real change. Just higher compatibility and bug fixes with my new bios version :P

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: December 29, 2003 10:55AM
Bios is not the same as agp drivers. DL them separately

Larry
Date: December 29, 2003 01:49PM
Posted by: fongu
yeah my agps now seem a bit more happy and stable now, but not too much performance gain, but my old drivers were fairly new anyways and setup up properly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy