More On The Blurry Lines

Posted by Bernie The Bolt 
More On The Blurry Lines
Date: December 10, 2003 04:46PM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt

I was looking at B-Tone's '67 Mod when I spotted this.

Look at the lines in pitlane and you can see that they have been given the GP4 Blurred treatment, yet the lines on the side of the track haven't.

Any thoughts?

Re: More On The Blurry Lines
Date: December 10, 2003 04:49PM
Posted by: fongu
the grid markings are tho

Date: December 10, 2003 04:51PM
The grid markings have been blurred as well, but I'm looking at the lines denoting the side of the track. How come they haven't been blurred?

Date: December 10, 2003 09:32PM
Posted by: Ellis
If they are not downsampled the same way, then it might not blur them

Can someone try this:

open the line/tarmac/whatever textures in GP4Master. Export the largest TEX to TGA format. Import that TGA over all the smaller TEXs (so they are forced to enlarge). Save the tex (without downsampling) and run it again. I dont know what or where the textures are or what they are called, so you might have to do some digging around to find them

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 10, 2003 10:12PM
Posted by: Briere
the trackside lines are part of the edge tex.

just like GP3, which has [track name]_edge.jam as a texture for the track edge, GP4 uses the trackside textures to put the trackside lines on the track ;-)

I'm very tired atm, so if you dont understand me, well, state it below ;)

Post Edited (12-11-03 05:13)
Date: December 10, 2003 11:57PM
Posted by: Caelen
yep i think the track edge lines are part of the tex files whaeras the grid, dtreet markings are jams. by the way changing all the samples to the same size dont make any difference as gp4 still downsamples to the size it wants anyway, the only way to fix is to change number of mipmaps in the config. i run mine with 2 mipmaps instead of 4 and get no blurry textures except for the track markings.
Date: December 11, 2003 01:02AM
Posted by: Lo2k
You're right Caelen,
Track edge lines are .tex files and benefit from 3D Hardware display, whereas track markings are in a .jip file (that might still be computed in software by GP4's engine as for GP3).

Date: December 11, 2003 01:22AM
Alright then, is it then possible to use the .tex lines as grid, pitlane and street lines instead of the jips?

Date: December 11, 2003 04:07AM
Posted by: bigj
If you author geometry into the world and apply a texture that has ** at least 1 pixel with alpha not solid ** then that geometry will be sorted and rendered last.

What does this mean.

Well, you should be able to author decal pit/grid markings and lines as you wish - using .tex and geometry quads.

I guess you'll need to remove the current sw rendered details and/or blank the .jip files.
Date: December 11, 2003 04:57AM
Bigj, can i ask you where you find this sentence ? cause it's the answer to an important question about transparent textures(on wich i worked some days ago).
It explains the reason of GP4 bugs, overlapping transparent textures in front of any other texture. You can check that bug at interlagos with glasses of right tribunes in the last long left curve or at Melbourne, looking at the bridge with black glasses on the starting lane.

Using tex instead of jip can be done with 3DEditor.
For now, you need to transform an existing square surface, replacing its texture and putting it at the good place but in a near future, i will add a function to create a new quad face and it will be even easier to add such things as grid lines/adverts/shadows and whatever else you could imagine you can do with a square surface :).

PS: of course, you will need to delete software jip markings, but it's yet easy to do with 3DEditor.

Post Edited (12-11-03 12:07)

Date: December 11, 2003 05:46AM
Posted by: <Maverick>
isn't it possible to edit the distace of downsampling such things in your f1gfx.ini ?

Date: December 11, 2003 07:37AM
Posted by: Incast
Isn't this in all games and doesn't anti-aliasing cure it?
Date: December 11, 2003 12:30PM
Posted by: meyers
yeah i though aa or af cured it, mind you i use some guys tarmac and in the pitlane it blurs at different intervals
Date: December 11, 2003 03:39PM
Posted by: F1Crazy
Is'nt this the same problem Lampert is facing with his amazing 2003 track retexturing??? In another post a solution was not found.

[www.grandprix3.com]

It seems clear however that AA does not cure the problem.

Date: December 12, 2003 12:57AM
Yes, it's still the same problem, but as written above and as bigj suggested, there's a workaround to this matter for short lines and markings.
For long lines, this solution is also possible but it will need more work as we won't work on 1 quad (square surface) anymore but on many ones.

Post Edited (12-12-03 08:00)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy