Mirrors do my nut!!

Posted by meyers 
Mirrors do my nut!!
Date: November 15, 2003 08:29AM
Posted by: meyers
still pissed off about GP4 running poorly since i spent much green upgrading my comp. Anyway noticed that mirrors off gives great PO gain and improves framerate. SO i turned them off but the way they go black is ugly, when tweaking with graphics.cfg i noticed that in some cars there is sort of a grey mirror effect but in others it is simply a pure grey which also looks awful can i not get all the cars to have silvery mirrors or is there any way to put a static image in the mirrors. thanks

I would show you some pictures but i dont know how to put them on here??
Re: Mirrors do my nut!!
Date: November 15, 2003 08:51AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I know whhat you mean. In the gfx config you can set everything to minimum for mirrors, and you dont lose so much po, plus the cars are shon in very low detail, so the mirror serves its purpose :)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 15, 2003 10:18AM
if you turn the mirroros off in the graphics cfg file some cars like the minardis and bar's mirrors have a silvery finish, without displaying any detail and you lose Po which is good, but others like the jordans mirrors just go plain grey and it looks awful i just want all the cars to have the silvery mirror effect, maybe its my graphics card, nvidia fx5200, its poor i know
Date: November 15, 2003 10:27AM
Posted by: fongu
its different for each car, depending on how bothered the car makers are with the mirrors. Personally i dont care whether they look naff when you turn mirrors off.

Date: November 15, 2003 10:31AM
yeah i guess im just to anal about this stuff, i just feel that i should be able to get sooooooooooo much more out of gp4 on the following spec, do you think it would help if i got a better sound card?

amd athlon 2.0ghz
512mb ram
128mb fx5200
onboard sound?
Date: November 15, 2003 10:34AM
Same here, running athlon 2.1ghz, 512mb ram, radeon 9800 with onboard sound........ im disappointed that its been about 3 months and im still having lots of problems. I get about 41fps without mirrors.

Date: November 15, 2003 11:11AM
Posted by: F1Crazy
Same here, running athlon 2.1ghz, 512mb ram, radeon 9800 with onboard sound........ im disappointed that its been about 3 months and im still having lots of problems. I get about 41fps without mirrors.

No offence, but stop moaning! I'd die for a PC like that!

Just keep on tweaking your gp4, with woteva PC, you'll eventually get a good compromise.

Date: November 15, 2003 11:59AM
Posted by: Ellis

41 fps? So whats wrong with 41fps exactly? GPL is locked at 36 and nobidy ever said anything wrong with it, and unlike first person shooters, racing games are playable at 20fps.

41fps is a fantastic FPS for GP4, i dont see what the problem is

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 15, 2003 12:03PM
im not moaning about 41 fps...... i just thought i would've had more when i got it.

Date: November 15, 2003 12:11PM
Posted by: stifflers mum
it is NOT necessary, absolutly NOT, that the fps is more than 25.
the human eye is to dull to check out more than 24 pics per second. that means, all over 25 for pics IS smooth. even our eyes and our small brains cant see more than 24 pics. so its totally dumbshit to say`my game does not run smooth` thats not right. if ur processor is to slow, maybe to old (700Mhz) or ur system is to slow (to much processes are running in the background) than ur po will degrease.
thats the reason for bucking of games... oh lord....

Post Edited (11-15-03 19:14)

Date: November 15, 2003 12:17PM
that is so not true, the eye can see more like 250! you can tell the difference

Date: November 15, 2003 12:55PM
whatever the eye can see its fair to say that even a spec over the recommended spec isnt great, didnt somebody work out that you needed 3.0ghz 1024mb ram or something to run a 60fps, anyway can anyone help me sort out my mirrors problem ive spent the afternoon trying to stick a static image in the mirror so its jsut a picture but i cant do it...
Date: November 15, 2003 01:11PM
Posted by: Caelen
i agree that you can see the diference between 25 fps and say 60 fps, however the locked frame rate of gp4 helps make gp4 playable at low fps. but having played gp4 at 30 fps on my old pc and now moving up to 40 fps i can see a big difference, its all so much smoother

fo meyers and fongu i think you both need to do a bit of editing of the config file.
my old pc was a 1 gig p3 with geforce 2 and i was able to run at 30 fps with mirrors at half detail, ie kerbs, track, cars,walss and not much else
i used fraps and that 30 fps was constant in dry starts and wnt down to about 26 for the first corner the back to 30 for the rest of the race. in wet weather id get about 27 fps at the line.

fongu is th 41 fps what gp4 recommended, because thats wildly inaccurate.
use fraps to see your fps. theres no way you shold have to turn off the mirrors with a 9800 card it should make absolutely no difference as your processor would be holding this card up. ive got a 9800 pro but ive had no trouble getting gp4 like a dream. ive set the fps at 40 and i turned off dynamic env mapping, it actually looks better on static. put everthing else on full. then quit end edit gp4 graphics config manually. i turned multisamples to 16 and anisotrophic to full and it made absolutel no differenc to my occupancy.

Post Edited (11-15-03 21:43)
Date: November 15, 2003 01:56PM
Posted by: Ellis
it is NOT necessary, absolutly NOT, that the fps is more than 25.
the human eye is to dull to check out more than 24 pics per second. that means, all over 25 for pics IS smooth. even our eyes and our small brains cant see more than 24 pics. so its totally dumbshit to say`my game does not run smooth` thats not right. if ur processor is to slow, maybe to old (700Mhz) or ur system is to slow (to much processes are running in the background) than ur po will degrease.
thats the reason for bucking of games... oh lord....

Thats just as wrong as it gets

TV is 25 INTEGRATED frames per second. I can tell the difference between 25 and 40. And sometimes 40-60 but i have to look for the difference rather than notice it

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 15, 2003 04:31PM
well thats whats annoying me caelen........ ive been playing around alot, when i had my humble 800mhz, riva tnt2, i got that working amazingly at about 22, but now its just, even changing the anisotrophic etc makes a diff, i have to run it on performance settings. The game actually told me anywhere from 53-59, but it just doesnt go, fraps says about 39/42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy