Image Filters and Bump Map, yo!

Posted by Yah 
Image Filters and Bump Map, yo!
Date: November 02, 2003 01:11PM
Posted by: Yah
A couple of pages back, 'Samuele Pinna' posted a download for a 'realism filter' (original post: [www.grandprix3.com] ).
I didn't really like the look of his filter, but I thought it could be used to better effect. And so I made my own!

There are 2 filters:
Warm: Like a summers day! Or slightly a slightly sepia toned image.
Cold: Slightly blue tint, to desaturate colours and add an 'raceday exaust fume' ambient atmosphere.
Oldskool: The above two filters combined. Has an added noise effect to dirty up the the screen image. Looks a bit like old film. See a bigger example here: [homepage.ntlworld.com]

This way you can choose one to suit your mood! Please note that I used Samuele Pinna's method, I just altered the filter colour to make it look nicer!

Also, I just made a new hi-res bump map texture:

Detailed screenshot here: [homepage.ntlworld.com]

I know that Laurent Rousseau has already made one of these, but I wanted one that had more detail. Hope you don't mind, Laurent!
And that's it! Comments very very welcome!

Re: Image Filters and Bump Map, yo!
Date: November 02, 2003 01:39PM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
interesting ...... the cold one looks amazing to me
Date: November 02, 2003 01:52PM
Posted by: SchimmyMike
Yeah, the cold one is really great. Samuele`s filter is good but too much greyscaled i think. So i deactivated it.

Where can i download the filter?

BTW: The HWBumpMap looks good at near range but not in far. Can it be improved?

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: November 02, 2003 02:03PM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
well the HQ bump map , great near range and medium far range ...... better on both situations than the original one
Date: November 02, 2003 03:22PM
Posted by: fongu
Yeah the cold ones cool, quite like the oldskool one, but bit too warm for me. Let us know when we can dload them

Date: November 02, 2003 03:39PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
looks great, however, i would prefer the cold one colder.

Date: November 02, 2003 05:35PM
Ok peeps, I'll make the cold filter a bit stronger and then try to get 'em uploaded to grandprixgames.org (just waiting on Bruno for a login).

"The HWBumpMap looks good at near range but not in far"

It took me a while to get it looking as it does now. It's as good as I could get it. I have no idea how I could make it look better at further distances! Personally, I think it's perfect (but then I did make it!)
Date: November 03, 2003 01:48AM
Posted by: Lo2k
HWBump map is great , we can almost see each gravel sink in the tarmac :)
We just have to find how to make darker bumpmaped tarmac and it will be perfect.

Date: November 03, 2003 07:40AM
Posted by: 32BOBO32
Good Work!!! My personal one was just a first attempt.. I'm very happy thath my idea is right!

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: November 03, 2003 04:57PM
Thanks, Samuele! Glad you like my alterations.
I've made the cold filter a bit stronger, here's a screenie:

You can't see the difference too much here, but it looks better ingame. If I make it any more opaque it's gonna look foggy, so this is the final one. I'll upload the files to my own webspace soon since I don't think I'm gonna get a login for a while. I'll post a link when I've uploaded.

Date: November 03, 2003 06:36PM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
The bottom one's the new "cold" filter? That looks really good. Will it work in GP3 as well?

Date: November 03, 2003 06:41PM
Yeah, the bottom one. As I said it looks more noticable ingame. If GP3's GPxPatch has a GPxCInfo tab then it should work fine.
Date: November 18, 2003 03:47AM
Posted by: NC
What happened to this filters?? they never went out for dl??
Date: November 21, 2003 07:14AM
Yeah, sorry for the delay. I've scrapped all the filters except the 'cold' one....I decided the others weren't really needed. I've been making it work with the new GPxPatch -now the filesize has gone down from 2.5mb to under half a mb! I'll release it as soon as I have finished the GP4 form thing...
Date: November 21, 2003 08:26AM
Posted by: Timm
Ermm,

Sorry, but I actually think the warm one is the best.
Any chance of having that one?

Date: November 21, 2003 10:37AM
Posted by: kjdesigns_2000
i find all of them very nice but warm one is appealing to me... put all of them online one by one. Nice Work

Date: November 21, 2003 10:44AM
Posted by: F1Crazy
Still, all these filters are is a layer that is applied over the original GP4.

I'd like to see an image sharpener filter; it works with GP4 screenshots, therefore it should look even better ingame.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:35PM
Posted by: Caelen
did anyone notice any bad effects from numpmap, ie frame rate.
maybe ive finally found something my radeaon card dont like but my occupancy goes upto 150 % for race starts, whereas before it always stayed under 100.
Date: November 21, 2003 04:14PM
Ok, I'll add the warm one back in! As F1Crazy said, it is just a colour overlay...The trick is to get the right combination of colour and opacity.
As for the frame rate issue, I shouldn't think it will be a problem, since the actual image is small (64x64 I think) stretched over the entire screen. I race with the cold filter on all the time now, and it runs fine on my GeForce 2...

Date: November 21, 2003 05:02PM
Posted by: -{TETSUO}-
Is it possible to take these filters and add them to the visor to make a realistic helmet\visor and still keep the rain effects?
I would love to get something like Metroid Primes effect in cockpit

The clouds will part and the sky cracks open and god himself will reach his F***ing arm through JUST TO PUSH YOU DOWN JUST TO HOLD YOU DOWN
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy