Track texture problem

Posted by neilcaine 
Track texture problem
Date: August 16, 2011 12:09AM
Posted by: neilcaine
Another question for the track making experts -

On a couple of tracks I'm using - Barcelona and Istanbul, a bridge on each of the tracks flickers a lot when you are a long way off it at the beginning of a long straight or off in the distance - it looks like textures behind are showing through (it's one of the DHL bridges in Spain and an Allianz bridge in Turkey). When you get close to them it seems ok, problem only occurs from a distance. Any possible reasons for this and any possible fix? - hope someone can help
Re: Track texture problem
Date: August 16, 2011 05:52PM
Posted by: Lo2k
You already found the solution : faces with front texture are too close from faces with back texture and Game engine mess with knowing which one is in front of the other.
The practical solution is to open the track .gp4 file in GP4Builder and displace faces.

Date: August 16, 2011 08:46PM
So if the bridge has an advert on each side, how do I displace the faces with gp4builder - other bridges have ads both sides and this problem isn't there, is there a certain setting these bridges have which stops the flickering? Could it be high fences or trees behind the sign/bridge?
Date: August 16, 2011 11:10PM
If you can see objects behind the bridge in front of it, then forgot what I told upper.
I can see two other possibilities:
- it comes from some DXT5 texture superposition (like fences and trees that's true) but I won't enter into details here (you might find old replies about it from me in past threads like this one)
- it could come from the f1graphics.cfg file and in that case search for the line :
8 ; Set 0 => no 8bit alpha (all stencil - yuck) 8 => all 8bit alpha (no stencil - nice) else 1-7 as cut off
And set it to 7 to fix such troubles.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 11:18PM by Lo2k.
Date: August 19, 2011 01:27PM
thanks for the suggestions

Maybe you could help me with a different problem, this time it's the Montreal track. When I update adverts etc with GP4builder I can update the V Power bridge which is at the beginning of the Pit straight, however when I use the track, this bridge isn't visible in game. What is preventing the bridge from showing when it does allow you to update it in gp4builder? There is an error message about objects when I save the gp file and exit from GP4 builder - which is likely to be the problem, but is there a way to fix it?

any help would be appreciated
Date: August 19, 2011 01:39PM
If there's an error, it would be wise to read it carefully because I most probably wrote down what was the exact problem in it.
Most probably there are too many faces/vertices in one scene and if so, as suggested, you've better creating another scene and move some of the most face consuming objects in this new scene until face error (also displayed in File menu\details) vanishes.

Date: August 19, 2011 01:50PM
I'm not too familiar with all areas of GP4builder (just getting used to it) - is it easy to create a new scene? and is it simply a case of moving objects into it or is it more complicated than that? - do the objects need any more work doing with them? sorry to have to ask but I haven't done anything like this before

Problem solved, I managed to work out how to add a scene and moved some of the bridge files - V Power bridge has re-appeared!! - thanks for the help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 05:07PM by neilcaine.
Date: August 20, 2011 08:51PM
thanks for your help with my Montreal track, I'm hoping you can help me with onw last problem with this track. One section of the track has a red and white striped wall in front of a grandstand, you can edit this with gp4builder but in game only the wall top texture shows, - no wall underneath. I've tried moving the objects to a new scene but that hasn't worked this time - is there another possible solution to try?
Date: August 20, 2011 09:34PM
Well, it can be a few things.
- first go to action\fix parts to object link and check the status panel amongst the icon bars on the right, if it is labelled that some parts were fixed, it might be ok now. just save the .gp4 file, update the wad and try it ingame again.
- second if first possibility wasn't the solution, select the object part that is not displayed in game and go to action\Invert\faces creation. Nothing might change visualy but status panel should display "faces have been arranged". Save the .gp4 again, update the wad and try ingame.

Date: August 20, 2011 09:49PM
You are a genius! second option worked - my 2011 Canada track is fixed at last - thanks a lot for the detailed help with gp4builder - it's a great programme and makes track updating a lot quicker, much appreciated
Date: August 21, 2011 09:12AM
I'm glad you fixed your track troubles and were appreciating my program :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy