patches and editors

Posted by wriggles 
patches and editors
Date: September 19, 2003 08:26AM
Posted by: wriggles
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

My first queiry is concerning modifying the GP4 game. I haven't done this much before but I should be capable.

1 - Official Patch v9.6

I've installed this patch. When I double click on the GP4 icon (in the folder with the patch in it) it says "cannot find BINKW32.DLL" Try to re-install patch, it says "already updated". I tried to find this file and it is in the correct directory. I have uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it. Same result. I'm thinking that I may have installed the patch to the wrong place. I have put it in a separate folder within the Grand Prix4 folder. Should it not be in a separate folder?

2 - Editors etc.

Same problem with the unencrypted patch that you need to get the editors working.(gp4exe102). Without this c_magic4 and pit/lap editor will not work and it follows that the performance update for 2003 will not work either.

So, has anyone encountered this problem or know what I'm doing wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I've spent all afternoon downloading files and trying to get them to work

Thank you all...

Dave.
Re: patches and editors
Date: September 19, 2003 08:29AM
Posted by: Pooky
welcome!!!!!:)

join us in the hotlap competition

see the link on my sig for the website and the rules

any question post in the monza hotlap thread or email us!

Date: September 19, 2003 08:32AM
Posted by: ZaZ
About your first problem...
Try to run the game from the folder, not from a shortcut.

2nd prob:
A lot of the older editors are not compatible with v1.02.
I don't know which are and which aren't, but i know that if you insist using v1.02 and you want to use the files of pit/lap editor you can use them with carset manager.
it is compatible with 1.02

i hope it helps :)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: September 19, 2003 09:06AM
thanks but it ain't going to work:

Prob 1:

I wasn't opening from a shortcut but from the actual program icons in the folder. The problem might be that i now have 2 icon. One in the GpandPrix4 folder (created by installinmg the original game) and another one in the sub-folder that I created to put the patch in(v9.6). I unzipped the patch in this sub-folder. This is why I'm wondering if I have put the patch in the right place.

Prob 2:

I'm sure all the updates and utilities should be compatible (i.e. each one seems to depend on at least one of the other ones being there.)

!!Someone out there must have the answer. I'm sure it'll be stupidly simple.

p.s. Thank you for inviting me to the Monza hotlap comp. I'm sure my times are at least a second off the best times that I seem to remember having seen somewhere, but I'll have a look.

Thanks all,

Dave.
Date: September 19, 2003 10:37AM
Posted by: shutt1e
excuse me if i'm wrong but it seem to me that the 9.6 patch come in winzip file. you need to extract it then run the installation program. i dont remeber if it ask for main gp4 installation dir but you must have only one gp4.exe located in the main gp4 installation dir
if you have extracted the patch 9.6 files in a separated dir you can find inside it only few files,gp4.exe cars subdir and the setup files.if you run gp4 from this location it is normal that the bink32.dll file cannot be found
if you want use old utilities like gp4master or csc4 with your patched gp4 you need to save your old decrypted exe renaming it gp10.exe.when you start gp4master it ask for gp4 installation and found the new incompatible exe,you need to write the name of your old exe and gp4master will start.
be warn that you can use old utilities only for unpackin/packing graphics. do not apply any mod to the exe due the exe you are using for gp4master is the old one.
hope you understand.
Date: September 19, 2003 03:17PM
Thanks "shuttle" for your advice. As it happened, I was just about to try and install GP4 Master.

I did eventually get the exe102 decrypt file to work along with the Lap/Pit Editor and the cmagic_102 utility. From their, the performance update worked, although it changed many seetings (e.g. my steering wheel configuration) and everything seemed forgein to me. The only perceptable difference was that the cars seemed to go faster although I only had about one lap. So I thought I would try to get some new cars in and change the driver names to get the full effect of all the updates.

The cars I downloaded needed to use GP4 Master, so I downloaded that.
Could I get it to work??? Of course not. It needs to be linked to a certain file - a decrypted file which it said I did not have. But did have it. I could play the game without the CD so must have had it.

So I came back to the forum and found your very helpful message (above), but I could not go back to save any other versions of GP4 as everything had been installed up until that point. The only thing I could do was start all over again. Uninstall, reinstall and reload everything bit by bit.

I have now tried to rename my "original" GP4 file at every stage in the procedure but with no luck. GP4 Master is asking for the "unencrypted GP4 file" which has to be exactly "6,250,496 bytes" in size. At no stage can I find a GP4 file to match that size.

What the hell am I doing wrong! Are their no instructions for this kind of thing? I may have missed something in your translation "shuttle", but I think I did what you said correctly. I have now spent about 16 hours trying to get this stuff to work but I seem to be stumbling around in the dark.

Could anyone please help. If I get GP4 Master working I may be over the last hurdle and on the home straight.

Thanks for listening.

Dave.
Date: September 19, 2003 04:45PM
Posted by: shutt1e
well, gp4master needs the 1.0 exe of gp4 decrypted. you can get one surely working at this address:
[www.gpx.it]

just rename it i.e gp410.exe and put it into your gp4 installation dir
when gp4master starts and ask for an executable choose the dir and write gp410.exe as gp4 executalble. this must work!!

bye
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy