Article : How to rise up the quality of TEX files without quality loose?

Posted by ViperF1 
I'm the first painter who uses 1024 pixel squared Tex files. When I was making my first car Ferrari F2001, I found that the space for "Marlboro" logos on rear wings was too small, there are only 12 pixels for the logo. For making the textures more clear, I tried to use a 1024 pixel squared texture. However, the problem wasn't solved, but there I discoed was that there wasn't so much the quality loose than 512 pixels squared ones. So I know that's because GP4 automatically resized the textures to 512 pixels squared.
In fact, if you directly overwrite a 512 pixel squared Tex file with 1024 pixel squared Tga, you will still get 512 pixel squared one in the game. That's because there's a 4 byte flag at the head of every Tex files, which tells the game the resolution of the textures. With the tools called TEX Resizer by Lo2k, you can easily change the value of this flag. Try to set a Tex file to 1024 x 1024 by that tools, insert it back into cars.wad. What's new can you find in the game? Very magical? Sadly , there isn't so much painters know this , the majority of painters still use 1024 pixels squired textures over 512 pixels squared tex files , so you need manually do this .
The GP4 tool GP4Master is able to automatically downsample the textures. Sadly, it doesn't work perfectly. With textures downsampled by this tool, you will find there's lost of quality loose of the textures when the cars are not so near to you. For example, when you're driving a Renault by T-cam-view, the graphics on the nose becomes smoothless. So it's better to downsample the textures manually by software like Photoshop. There's another way that can rise up the quality of downsamples. You can directly use four same samples instead of downsamples, but it will increase the size of Tex files, that means loading the game will be much more slowly.

F1GrandPrix.net - 1999 - 2003 Viper F1 Studio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy