Need some help with car textures

Posted by thisisreallyneat 
Need some help with car textures
Date: July 28, 2003 04:24PM
Posted by: thisisreallyneat
Hey everyone, i'm not quite sure if this has been an issue in the past, as i've only been to this board once. And i'm not down with this whole search thing...far to vague. So I thought i'd ask the experts.

Basically, two things, first - the 2002 update really screws things up for me, changing the Prost files to the Minardi files, and the Minardi files to the Toyota files. This means I can't put a new Minardi texture on without it changing the Toyota car. I eventually found a file that uses 'Min.tex' rather than 'Minardi.tex', but the texture isn't that great, and i'd really like to replace it. Is there any way I can go about changing these car shapes round?

This links in with my second question, is it possible to put a texture on a car it wasn't originally designed for? I keep finding some really great looking liveries, that replace the BAR, or the Jordan or something like that. I'm just left thinking, why would people want to replace the BAR? etc. I'm mainly looking for textures to replace the Arrows, but there aren't many good ones. I'd love to use the 2001 Benetton liverie, but surprise surprise, it's designed for the Renault car, which I don't want to replace.

Can anybody offer any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Re: Need some help with car textures
Date: July 28, 2003 04:27PM
Posted by: Ellis
This links in with my second question, is it possible to put a texture on a car it wasn't originally designed for?

short answer: No

Longer answer: Yes, with alot of work

you would need to either redo the textures or remap the car.

Thats ALOT of work

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 28, 2003 04:34PM
Ok, I'm not really up for ALOT of work, i'd rather keep the game in one piece. I guess my search for decent Arrows replacement textures continues....sigh.

So what about my first question? The 2002 update messing up the Toyota/Minardi shapes and textures. Is there any way I can fix this? It's quite annoying having a grid full of excellent looking cars....then two naffy Minardi's that don't even reflect the light.
Date: July 28, 2003 04:36PM
Posted by: Peter Dunham
As ive learned this week there are some outstanding cars and are made for 2003 order and i thought i couldnt use as i use the default slots however after reading a few " howto's " carefully on how to use HEX editor ive found it rather great , in editing the tex files that the car LOD looks for means i can run any car anywhere as long as the TEX was made for that shape , for eg. i now use a " what if " arrows as one of the Arrows and a Mclaren MP4/18 as the second car for that team slot for tester Wurz , bit of fun , just have to run a black cockpit as that file is shared :)
Date: July 28, 2003 04:44PM
The problem with my files is that they are the wrong way around...

The Prost car shapes load the Prost textures (which is the Minardi liverie)
and The Minardi car shapes load the Minardi textures (which is the Toyota liverie),
and this is a complete pain in the ass, because downloading the new Minardi liveries completely messes up the Toyota. So my choice is currently - have a good looking Minardi liverie from LAST season (which I don't want because everything else is completely up to date), or have a really POOR liverie from this season. I just don't understand why the patch was made to do this.
Date: July 28, 2003 04:48PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
If you use Lo2K's Livery Editor, you can change what texture name the carshape looks for, e.g. If you have Toyota in the Minardi slot, you can rename the minardi1.tex minardi2.tex etc. . . filenames to toyota1.tex etc. . . and assign it to the Toyota carshape. Then you will be able to move the carshapes round to different slots.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy