One more F1C thread a good review

Posted by LarryM 
One more F1C thread a good review
Date: July 26, 2003 07:17AM
Posted by: LarryM
First a warning: Rousseau hates Geoff Crammond, well his work and worshippers anyway. Having said that, some of you may find his review of F1C interesting. Oh yes I know, this is OT, but I still think many of you are interested.

[www.simbin.com]

BTW: I am driving both sims alternately. The 2003 Hockenheim is a joy to drive in F1C. Corner 1 in Gp4 old Hockenheim is really very (=too) difficult. one wheel slightly on the kerb and you're on a carousel.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: One more F1C thread a good review
Date: July 26, 2003 08:11AM
Posted by: Ellis
I think we have had this one before. Stupidly biast. Cant take anything from that cos it really is almost on the verge of funny to read

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 26, 2003 08:58AM
Posted by: Vader
This is Rousseau for you.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 26, 2003 03:18PM
Posted by: edd882
I read up to "massively overrated Grand Prix series".

Do I want to be told by someone else what to think and do? No. I'll make up my own mind thankyou very much.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do you see Darrell Waltrip using up his tyres?
Date: July 26, 2003 03:21PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Tracks

Still not the most accurate models

ROFL! Understatement!

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: July 26, 2003 03:24PM
Posted by: genesis
Reviews just give advice Edd. Whether you want to take it onboard or not is upto you.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: July 26, 2003 03:24PM
Posted by: Ellis
If the review was even close to good the tracks wud be called "pathetic"

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 26, 2003 04:54PM
Posted by: LarryM
Hehehehe. ;)
I knew that would get you going. Funny enough, GP4 supporters where out in force, which stimulated forum moderator Ian bell to post this:

"OK... any mention of GP4 is hereforth banned in this thread ;) "

My comments to Monsiur Rousseau were as follows:

" Interesting Review from Rousseau. Not as negative on the tracks as before. I agree with much of what you say. However there are 2 major points and one minor in which I disagree. I think ISI have to make radical changes in the following (Ian, please forgive me for mentioning GP4, but It is necessary):

Graphics (1280x1024 16bit aa etc off all else at high or full videos off):

The graphics look ok and I love the sky. The cars are fantastic (the best of Hummerich). Ralf's 2003 update is fantastic also. THE PROBLEM is getting them to run. FPS has always for me been a problem with F12001 and 2002. I have updated my rig to a respectable level * and I can get upto 60 fps in a practice run ON PARTS OF THE TRACK. In parts it is down to 27 or so. In a race it can be around 11-14 fps on the grid and 30ish later but dropping every now and then rather dramatically. The fps drop during a practice session from 50+ at the beginning to 28 at the end.
(GP4 finally runs at a steady 37 in the rain on at the back of the grid everything maxed including heat haze (lovely) and dynamic environmental mapping.

I have to compare with GP4 which actually runs fantastically well for all its shortcomings.
Watching replay shows up the problems with F1C. The fps drop eg. in France practice (1 car visible) to 11fps on the pit straight but can reach up to 55 elsewhere. The way the car moves is also unrealistic (partly). Gp4 beats F1C hands down on replays.

THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM. If I am doing something wrong, tell me.

*My rig:
AMD 2400+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1024 333 DDr, Rad 9700pro,Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp

AI:
The AI may be improved but it is still utter crap. I am sorry, but I am not usually so categorical. The cars crash all over the place (Monaco is worst). GP4 is the king here. Surely AI can be improved in F1C

Then there are the TRACKS. Some are quite good but eg Monaco is a bl''dy disgrace. Fortunately Spider (=Tantra) has made some stunning improvements adding details to the 2003 versions which put a bone in the throat of even the most ardent GP4 believer. I am therfore less worried about the tracks, since these´will be fixed by the community. GP4's tracks are accurate (but new modifications are missing)

At the moment I can only use F1C for practice and hotlapping. Pity.

Is ISI going to do something for the above? This game has great promise, but it still IMO needs developing.

BTW: on the GP4 forum (grandprixgames) I generated quite a stir among the more religious fans by writing about F1C. Someone felt that it should be moved to Off Topic. It isn't OFF topic, it is all very much ON topic. "

Rousseau is a true believer and he writes so beautifully. He has some good points but his total disdain for GP4 and GC's work is distorting his judgement. GP4 is a n extremely good game. F1C is at the moment a highly flawed, but promising game. It's editability makes it even more promising. I hope that the worst problems will be solved. In the meantime I live in this skitso world where I jump from game to game. I even get disillusioned with the whole thing from time to time and try a flight sim (IL2 Forgotten battles)for a change... now THAT would be Off Topic.
Good night all.

Post Edited (07-27-03 09:20)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: July 27, 2003 09:21AM
Posted by: edd882
I'm well aware of the purpose of reviews. The problem I have with his review is that he appears incapable of doing one without adding many a snide comment about GP4 and Geoff Crammond.

He also likes to patronise anyone who enjoys GP4 or probably any of the GPx Series of games, in fact probably anything at all that he doesn't like, F1 or not.

I think some areas of his reviews are certainly questionable and also this is what, the 5th incarnation (F1 2000, F1 Championship Season 2000, F1 2001, F1 2002, F1C 99-2002) of the game, yet it's still as incomplete in many areas as the first. All of this of course is conveniently forgotten by 'Rousseau'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do you see Darrell Waltrip using up his tyres?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy