Crowd display from distance view

Posted by littbarski 
Crowd display from distance view
Date: December 12, 2023 10:39PM
Posted by: littbarski
Hello,

I just rediscovered my old GP4 CDs and could indeed install and play it in Win 10. Everything seems ok.

There is one graphics issue which is a bit larger. The crowds viewed from far away appear only on parts and even in diagonal lines, with no crowd (=seats) in between. Very typical for old Hockenheim when coming back from the forest, but also in other tracks.

I have tried all possible settings in the f1graphics but nothing changed. What is interesting: also when I put "0" for no crowd at all in the f1graphics, the crowd is still there and even animated :). The flashes are turned off when I choose.

My idea was something about the LOD but those settings don't change it.

So what are (and where) settings for the crowd being displayed from far away, or what also would be ok, be turned off and then appear at once.

Thank you!

(my GP4 has no update or mod at all, only the original tracks)
Re: Crowd display from distance view
Date: December 13, 2023 02:02AM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
You should install GPxPatch and try out other tracks, then you don't have time anymore to worry about the crowd of each track. ;) ;-)
Date: December 13, 2023 08:17AM
Thank you, yes, I know. But I am happy that the game works at all on Win 10 and with onl Intel graphics...

So normally, for the first weeks, I only would like to change little things like settings. I thought this would be perhaps a small setting which I just did not see. I tried the stands and the crowd options in the f1graphics but this did not help.

ok, so if there is no solution for the old tracks, which Hockenheim or other tracks are there for a long time and are good?
Date: December 13, 2023 03:44PM
I downloaded the HD version of the old Hockenheim, and the crowd is still appearing in diagonal lines from far away.
Here I don't mean normal artefacts (alisaing) but actually you can see the seats between the diagonal crowd lines :).

Is this perhaps because of my low graphics hardware (only Intel 520) ?
If yes: what would be a hint for the f1graphics so that my GP4 works better with Intel 520 and the crowd bug dissapears?
Date: December 13, 2023 04:50PM
And: What is interesting - when I turn off crowds with "0", then in the trees there are still the flashes and flags ?
where can I turn them off really?
Date: December 13, 2023 05:03PM
Posted by: quickslick
have a look in your main gp4 folder, if there is a f1graphics.bak, delete it and then see if it works with your new settings
Date: December 13, 2023 09:04PM
thank you. There was no such bak file. The graphics and performance is quite nice now, but only the crowd, mainly in Hockenheim is strange. Is this nothing well known that the crowd in the Motodrom is appearing weird (seeing the chairs) from a distance?

Also, the flag movement in the crowds can't be deactivated, as this is not dependent from the crowd (animated) or the flashes. Even when I deactivate the stands, the flags continue :).

Actually I thought that the crowd thing in Hockenheim could be an old known issue.
Is there anything in the crowd files that I could change? and where are the flags setup and saved?
Date: December 13, 2023 09:27PM
here I found an image, like in my case, so this is normal, at least for Hockenheim?
It really a big impression when you return in the Motodrom.

(image for Arrows)
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2023 09:28PM by littbarski.
Date: December 13, 2023 09:56PM
Posted by: quickslick
i have the same problem with the dissapearing and diagonal line of the crowds and it's not only in Hockenheim for me. I think it's related to the videocard. I sadly couldn't find a solution for the crowds
Date: December 14, 2023 07:56AM
thank you, good to know. Indeed it's a bit sad, and I wonder if there could be any solution by changing the crowd file or the graphics there. This is really an option missing in the original GP4, that you could just choose 2D crowd instead of this animated or 3D crowd.

But it's not really realistic that I can change this somehow without real knowledge of GP4 and IT?

And the other thing, the flags in the crowd that I can't turn off, do you know where those are setup?
Date: December 14, 2023 09:04AM
ok now I found out that the flags are there in the wad file for Hockenheim. when I delete them I only see white small walls there. How can I turn all crowd flags off in Hockenheim wad?
Date: December 14, 2023 10:44AM
I tried many things including editors, crowd files, wad and so on. At the end it's ok for me that I don't know how to turn off the flags :). Actually the flashes can be turned off, which is great, and the flags are ok.

But the lines of crowd with the whole grandstand colors looking through this is really something that should have been solved by the original GP4 creators. But as all of the last years there was not mod or tool to change this, I suppose that most of the GP4 player just have a good graphics card and so there is no need to solve this if the problem is not existing on better hardware.

My initial thought when I started this topic was indeed that perhaps some LOD or texture setting could help.
Normally just the crowd image should be static and stay before the grandstand color textures. And if the distance is too far, the LOD of - first - the grandstand and then of the crowd should be reduced to 0 in one step = disappear.

But all this is too difficult for me as I don't know anything about IT. After all GP4 works fine and is a great game especially playing with wheel, but the crowd is not so beautiful :).
Date: December 14, 2023 03:13PM
I can add the detail that I just tried this on another Laptop with nvidia 4060, and it is still there, the bug in the crowd. In most tracks, this is ok, but in Hockenheim coming back from the woods it's a bit much.

So if it does not depend on the hardware so much (the 4060 is not the best but still not bad), there must indeed be some setting as I have seen GP4 users without this crowd problem in Hockenheim (although I have seen many in screenshots and video with the bug).

I can not write more to this topic for now as I don't have the knowledge. If anyone will have an idea I will be glad, of course.
Date: December 14, 2023 04:51PM
Posted by: esv
To group objects crowd with the tribune basis (for those "crowd" which "blink";). Flags simply to remove in GP4 Builder. At me it is solved for a long time in all mine 256 tracks 2006-2021.
Date: December 14, 2023 05:03PM
thank you very much, this would really be great for us if this would work.
I am new to all this but also have tried GP4 Builder, where I did not find any tribunes. I tried to delete the flashes, but got an error message in French.

So if you find the time:
- which file (ex. Hockenheim) do I open in GP4 Builder to group the crowds and delete the flags?
Date: December 14, 2023 05:12PM
Extract hockenheim2001.wad. Open hockenheim2001\maps\hockenheim2001.gp4.
Date: December 14, 2023 05:54PM
thank you! this works indeed.
The flag can just be deleted, and I also found how to group objects.

for the work: is it correct to then choose one by one tribune, group to stand, then the opposite, because the tool changes the scene, choose stand and group to tribune, and so on?

and always choose the "main" object of the nstand?

and last question: no batch work possible probably?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2023 06:06PM by littbarski.
Date: December 14, 2023 06:55PM
Crowd and object "a tribune basis" (or all tribune) should coincide.
It is necessary to group in a tribune = (main object).
How many the bases are so much and groups.
Batch work it is not possible, certainly.
Date: December 14, 2023 07:24PM
thank you again, we just made some and all is totall fine. What a difference. Of course there is still pixels around, but the background colors of the tribunes going up and down was really not the best. So we will just see what tribunes in which tracks are to change.

So my questions are all answered now, thank you very much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy