2 player lan multiplayer, race result, super fast controlled ai car.

Posted by gp4wonder 
My first race results on 2 player lan multiplayer, I've chosen minardi team for the AI controlled computer car (alex yoong)
and me as Fernando, note I'm racing against the AI car, it lapped me at 25laps. I was using keyboard with all aids on except for indestructible

Race Results

Australia - Albert Park
(58 Laps)

Pos Driver Time/Speed

1st alex yoong 1h 30m 29.741s
minardi-european
2nd michael schumacher -1 Lap
ferrari-ferrari
3rd fernando alonso -1 Lap
minardi-european
4th mika hakkinen -1 Lap
mclaren-mercedes
5th rubens barrichello -2 Laps
ferrari-ferrari
6th jarno trulli -2 Laps
jordan-honda

I wonder if there is a way to make the ai player car not so fast.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 08:33AM by gp4wonder.
figured it out in GPxPatch, GPxSet tab chose 'old behaviour' for Player car performance team dependent
haven't tried the other options yet, but the above made huge difference
Yes. Looked into this a few months ago and came to the same conclusion. Old behaviour must be used in multiplayer mode. The other two work well in single player mode, but for multiplayer games, they are essentially unusable.

How are you getting on with the sound? I'm using the EAX tweak permanently now, but there are some weird consequences - such as in Telegram where all sounds have a massive reverb effect now, even if I load it after a reboot and before loading GP4. No idea why, but it's a small price to pay for having better sound in GP4.
Noog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. Looked into this a few months ago and came to
> the same conclusion. Old behaviour must be used in
> multiplayer mode. The other two work well in singl
> e player mode, but for multiplayer games, they are
> essentially unusable.
>
> How are you getting on with the sound? I'm using t
> he EAX tweak permanently now, but there are some w
> eird consequences - such as in Telegram where all
> sounds have a massive reverb effect now, even if I
> load it after a reboot and before loading GP4. No
> idea why, but it's a small price to pay for having
> better sound in GP4.

what is the difference between those settings,what does old behaviour mean?
You really need SDI to explain this, because I might not be remembering things entirely accurately here, but here's my take:

Until v4.44 of GPX Patch (or maybe one of the other early versions, I don't recall) there was only one behaviour: and that's what came to be called old behaviour in later versions.

The later versions introduced the other two options to fix various anomalies that users had noticed when calibrating tracks. In theory, it made old behaviour obsolete, because the newer options definitely worked better (it's complicated to explain why; just trust me on that), but it was a while later when some other users and I noticed that multiplayer wasn't working too well anymore, ie the CC cars were always way too fast when you were driving the other car you had selected.

IIRC when SDI released the very last GPxPatch (4.52) he claimed to have resolved this, but IMHO it still didn't fix the multiplayer issue; which was a shame, because he announced his retirement shortly after, so we're stuck with it - which is not to detract from SDI's tremendous efforts over the years in any way, because without him the game would have been dead and buried long ago. I only wish he'd come back...

Basically, I would say use one of the other two options when you are in single player mode, but always use old behaviour in multiplayer mode, whether on a single machine or connected on a LAN.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 01:43PM by Noog.
Noog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really need SDI to explain this, because I mig
> ht not be remembering things entirely accurately h
> ere, but here's my take:
>
> Until v4.44 of GPX Patch (or maybe one of the othe
> r early versions, I don't recall) there was only o
> ne behaviour: and that's what came to be called ol
> d behaviour in later versions.
>
> The later versions introduced the other two option
> s to fix various anomalies that users had noticed
> when calibrating tracks. In theory, it made old be
> haviour obsolete, because the newer options defini
> tely worked better (it's complicated to explain wh
> y; just trust me on that), but it was a while late
> r when some other users and I noticed that multipl
> ayer wasn't working too well anymore, ie the CC ca
> rs were always way too fast when you were driving
> the other car you had selected.
>
> IIRC when SDI released the very last GPxPatch (4.5
> 2) he claimed to have resolved this, but IMHO it s
> till didn't fix the multiplayer issue; which was a
> shame, because he announced his retirement shortly
> after, so we're stuck with it - which is not to de
> tract from SDI's tremendous efforts over the years
> in any way, because without him the game would hav
> e been dead and buried long ago. I only wish he'd
> come back...
>
> Basically, I would say use one of the other two op
> tions when you are in single player mode, but alwa
> ys use old behaviour in multiplayer mode, whether
> on a single machine or connected on a LAN.

ive basically understood.
btw,do people here open source the projects when they are not going to continue?
maybe someone else can help?
Hey Noog, thanks for that I was curious so i ended up uninstalling gpxpatch on an unpatched GP4
choosing Minardi in multiplayer again, and both cars screamed way ahead of the pack.
I was expecting the 'old behavior' but looks like we need gpxpatch installed for that to work.
I thought there was only one patch for GP4, so from what you are saying there were more than just one?

I do vaguely remember when the game first came out that it was hard to catch the faster cars, more than likely
I was playing in singleplayer mode back then.

by the way I'm loving the EAX sound.

Not sure what you mean by:-
but there are some weird consequences - such as in Telegram where all sounds have a massive reverb effect now, even if I load it after a reboot and before loading GP4. No idea why, but it's a small price to pay for having better sound in GP4.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 11:19AM by gp4wonder.
Yes, you are referring to the official GP4 patch from Microprose, but that's not what I meant - and as far as I know, there's no reason to not use that patch as it fixed several nasty bugs - so to my mind, you need to patch the original game as a matter of course*.

What I was referring to are the different versions of SDI's GPxPatch which are all still available on SDI's site. It was only right at the end of the development of those that the multiplayer issue came to light again. (It hadn't been an issue for many years).

However, many of the most awesome advances came in those final versions, such as track slot specific PFs, car specific power, car specific failure rates and error chance - and for me, these are all absolutely essential, so I wouldn't advise using the older versions, but there was one (which I have a strong feeling was v4.44) which was a key milestone in that while it didn't have the fancy features that came along later it did what it did perfectly. That said, I wouldn't trade 4.44 for the final version (4.52), because even though you have to use old behaviour in multiplayer mode, everything else in that version took the game to a new level. As I said above, without René GP4 would have died a long time ago.

* Here's a tip: I never install or patch anything anymore. Instead, as a linux - and therefore a non-CSM - user I keep a fully patched version of the game in a folder I call GP4 (Default) with everything set up just the way I like it (ie with GPxPatch 4.52, my preferred overlays, commentary sounds and a whole lot more) and I make a copy of that to form the base for any new mod I acquire or make. Saves a lot of time.

Weird consequences of alsoft: I was going to go back and edit that, because it was actually my mistake. In my experimentation I installed the linux version of this and I sort of forgot about it, so while I was using the Windows version of alsoft in WINE to run GP4 I was ALSO using the linux version behind that which affected my whole operating system - and it was that which was not playing nicely with Telegram. Basically, don't worry about it! I messed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2023 11:58AM by Noog.
I forgot that your running GP4 in linux.

You may have messed up but you figured it out. well done
I'm a lamer really with all the specifics, I just like pointing out stuff that i see. It always baffled me why in multiplayer no matter what car I chose, they would be first and second unless of course accidents
and other mishaps happen.

I too have two different versions GP4v1.0 and GP4v1.02

thanks for sharing
This is not actually related to the OG question but how do you actually setup a multiplayer lan game? I tried multiple times in the past and it never worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy