dark alpha layers

Posted by Pont 
dark alpha layers
Date: October 04, 2023 11:10AM
Posted by: Pont
I repainted a car (based on 2001 shape) for my own personal use but my car is very shiny.
Apparently this has something to do with the alpha layer?

Do i need Photoshop for this or can i use another programm like Gimp?
I have no idea to be honest.
Re: dark alpha layers
Date: October 04, 2023 01:08PM
Posted by: Noog
It's in the FAQ

[www.grandprixgames.org]

Scroll down for GIMP info
Date: October 04, 2023 02:01PM
Quick note for GIMP users:

These are the menu options you need to check out:

LAYER - TRANSPARENCY - ADD ALPHA CHANNEL
LAYER - MASK - ADD LAYER MASK
LAYER - MASK - SHOW LAYER MASK

Mentioned because I tried (and failed) many times to do alpha layers in GIMP (in Linux), but it turns out, that's all you need to know really.

PS: If ADD ALPHA CHANNEL is greyed out, it's because the image already has one. Go straight to LAYER - MASK - ADD LAYER MASK

I tried using GIMP without success.
Date: October 04, 2023 03:23PM
All the info you need is in the thread linked above.

Add alpha channel then fill it with about 50% grey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2023 03:25PM by Noog.
Date: October 04, 2023 04:28PM
Thanks for your reply but i have no experience at all using Gimp. I tried but this is too difficult for me.
Date: October 04, 2023 05:07PM
Posted by: fongu
I personally use Photopea (click the icon):

It's designed to be just like Photoshop and can run in a browser and it's completely free. I also hook it up with my Google Drive so I can access it and my files anywhere.

You just need to go to the channels tab on the right to edit the alpha layer - if it doesn't have one, you can create one easily enough from the bottom of that menu. There's a ton of photoshop tutorials around, and they would work the same on Photopea.

Date: October 04, 2023 05:20PM
Pont. Please go and watch this video (30 secs).

[file.io]
Date: October 05, 2023 09:16AM
thanks both Fongu and Noog.

Noog, video is not available

The transfer you requested has been deleted
unquote
Date: October 05, 2023 09:53AM
Posted by: lpx
Hi,
I use the gimp for a long time and it's easy to change the alpha channel
First you load your tga files.If alpha channel exist, you check on color, level and check vaue on alpha channel anf after you change the value of the outpout level

second : If you don't have an alpha channel with your tga file, you check mask, transparency and add an alpha channel
Date: October 05, 2023 10:46AM
No idea why it got deleted, but it looks like it did.
Oh well, here it is again, zipped up this time:

[file.io]
Date: October 05, 2023 11:07AM
I'm sorry but when i open gimp It's looking completely different and all in dutch. I have tried to change the alpha layer but it's not working for me sorry. I will use the car as is.
Date: October 05, 2023 11:19AM
Glad you got the video this time

To reset GIMP to it's original layout (ie to make it look like mine): EDIT > PREFERENCES > INTERFACE > WINDOW MANAGEMENT > RESET SAVED WINDOW POSITIONS TO DEFAULT VALUES

(This is something you need to remember if you continue to use GIMP. There are several ways to accidentally mess up your screen layout and this is usually the easiest way to fix it [because the developers don't seem to care that it frustrates the hell out of new users])
Date: October 05, 2023 11:23AM
And if you want to change the language to English temporarily, EDIT > PREFERENCES > INTERFACE > LANGUAGE (the first option). If you're lucky English will be in the drop down menu.
Date: October 05, 2023 11:50AM
Also, I meant to add: don't give up. It's worth learning how to do this.

And if you're still stuck, do what Fongu said. I only made my vid because I didn't notice Fongu had posted when I made it, but you may well find his suggestion easier.

Good luck!
Date: October 06, 2023 09:06AM
I finally succeeded, thanks for your help. @@hot
Date: October 06, 2023 12:18PM
I forgot to ask, how can i reset the tga file in Gimp (i would like to make some changes in my car)?
Date: October 07, 2023 12:54AM
You remember how you right-clicked on the right hand side so you could select ADD LAYER MASK?

Well, if you load up your TGA again and right click in the same place again you'll see DELETE LAYER MASK - or better still, you can choose DISABLE LAYER MASK that just turns it off while you work on your pic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy