Elevation

Posted by Shadowblitz 
Elevation
Date: September 05, 2023 12:56AM
Posted by: Shadowblitz
Is there a way to get elevation data for race tracks?
Re: Elevation
Date: September 05, 2023 09:55AM
Posted by: Prblanco
I assume you're asking this from a track building perspective. A few years ago, F1 published elevation data for tracks on the calendar back then: [www.formula1.com].

If you're lucky, you might find data on a track's official website, but this is very rare. I once found a GPS trace someone had recorded when riding a bike around a circuit.

Another source of information is using Google Earth Pro to trace a path along the circuit and generate an elevation profile, however the accuracy of this method varies widely. In most cases this will give you a reasonable starting point, but not more than that.

In the end, unless you find an official source, you're likely to spend a good amount of effort in matching your track with what you see in videos.

If you just want to get elevation data from an existing track, open GP4Builder and use the Track Profiler tool.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2023 09:56AM by Prblanco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy