Grand Prix 4 on the Steam Deck [Tutorial]

Posted by SAT_LAB 
Grand Prix 4 on the Steam Deck [Tutorial]
Date: September 02, 2023 09:59PM
Posted by: SAT_LAB
Hi everyone!

In case some of you are wondering... yes, you can play GP4 on the go now with the Steam Deck.
It is not an easy setup but it's definitely possible. The game runs great at 60fps on max settings, occasionally it drops down to 50fps (expecially with many cars on track).

Gameplay Video

First of all, this is what you need:
- Steam Deck (da?)
- GP4 Installer by Carl_gpgames [ Download Here ]
- A way to transfer files from your PC to the deck (e.g. I use FileZilla with SSH connection Tutorial Here )
- Wine, qWine and Lutris (these are Linux apps, you can easily download them from the Steam Deck Desktop Software Center)

1. Switch to desktop mode on your Steam Deck

2. Connect your Steam Deck to your PC with FileZilla

3. Extract the "GP4" and "GP4_patch v9.6" folders from the GP4_Installer.iso into your desired directory in your Steam Deck where you want to install the game. For example, I installed the game on my microSD memory card so I created a new folder called "win-games" into the microSD root. (You can access the SD root in your Steam Deck at the following path --> /run/media/mmcblk0p1/)

4. Open Lutris and click on "+" on the top left corner of the window.

5. Click on "Install a Windows game from an executable" and give it an arbitrary name (i.e."Grand Prix 4" or "GP4";)

6. Choose "Windows 7 64-bit" as Installer Preset

7. Click on "Install" and "Install" again and select the directory you want where your Windows installation should be created (in my case I have /run/media/mmcblk0p1/win-games).

8. Select the GP4 "setup.exe" from the GP4 folder you copied in your microSD before in step 3.

9. Click on "Install"... It should show you the wine log and then the classic GP4 installation should start.

10. When the installation is completed don't click on "Launch" and exit from that window.

11. You should see now the game on Lutris, right click on it and select "configure". Change these following settings:

Game Options:

- Executable: here you need to browse and find the directory where GP4 has been installed on your microSD (in my case is /run/media/mmcblk0p1/win-games/drive_c/Program Files/Infogrames/Grand Prix 4/GP4.exe )

- Prefix Architecture: 32-bit

Runner Options:
- Enable DXVK: TRUE
- Enable VKD3D: TRUE
- Enable dgvoodoo2: TRUE
- Enable Esync: FALSE
- Enable Fsync: FALSE
- Enable FSR: FALSE
- Enable BattleEye Anti-Cheat: FALSE
- Enable Easy Anti-Cheat: FALSE
- Virtual Desktop: Windowed ENABLE (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!) at 800x1200 resolution

System Options:
- CPU Enable Feral GameMode: TRUE

12. Save your game settings and click on the white up-arrow on the bottom of the Lutris main window, near the Wine logo.

13. Click on "Wine Configuration" and select the "Drives" tab

14. Add a new drive and in "Show advanced" change device type to CD-ROM (this will convince GP4 that there is a CD inserted, otherwise the game will not launch even with the NoCD exe)

15. Select the "Graphics" tab and check the "Emulate a virtual desktop" box. Now you can close the Wine configuration by clicking on "ok".

16. Right click on GP4 on your Lutris main page and click on "Create a steam shortcut". This will show GP4 on your steam library in SteamOS Gaming Mode.

17. Now you can Return to Gaming Mode and Play GP4 :)

Graphical settings can be set manually on High at 60fps.

I will also add a brief guide on how to configure optimal controls for the game.

MY ASSETTO CORSA (& other stuff) DOWNLOADS---> SATLAB90
MY VIDEOS---> F1 Retro-Game

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2023 05:52PM by SAT_LAB.
Re: Grand Prix 4 on the Steam Deck
Date: September 03, 2023 04:52PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Nice, great job.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Re: Grand Prix 4 on the Steam Deck [Tutorial]
Date: September 03, 2023 07:58PM
Posted by: SAT_LAB
I created a first draft of the tutorial on how to run the game.

MY ASSETTO CORSA (& other stuff) DOWNLOADS---> SATLAB90
MY VIDEOS---> F1 Retro-Game

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2023 07:58PM by SAT_LAB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy