Individual helmet shapes for each driver problem

Posted by SkaaningeN 
Individual helmet shapes for each driver problem
Date: June 25, 2023 01:36PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
Right, I'll give this a second try since Im working on some helmetsets

I never got this to work, and I don't know why.

I've put the correct names on the files, I've copied the helmet shape files to the same folder as the carshapes (wrong?), when using the program, my anti virus software reacts to the GP4.exe because
it's been modified. This means something is there atleast. (It does the same with TeamEditor and that works fine).

With the H&T tweaker 0.9b, I can atleast check or uncheck the helmets and wheels boxes in the program which is causing the GP4.exe to get modified. However, nothing changes ingame.
With the H&T Tweaker 1.0.1, I can't do anything and nothing happens at all. There is a generate wheel and helmet buttons but they do nothing?

What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to get a clear instruction for non-csm in the readme files.

NOTE: Im using LOD0 only and the program says that it can interfere. How exacly? Last time I tried this, I took away LOD0 from TeamEditor, added all the extra lods missing and still did not get it to work

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2023 01:38PM by SkaaningeN.
Re: Individual helmet shapes for each driver problem
Date: June 25, 2023 09:19PM
Posted by: Öggo
If you're using H&W Tweaker, first, make sure you have gp4.exe selected in the "GP4.exe Path" box. Then check/select the tweak you want to apply and simply close the tool. The exe will be patched. To veryfiy that the patching was done correctly, open H&W Tweaker again: the options you had previously enabled should be automatically "selected".
The Generate Wheels and Generate Helmets buttons will create a set of empty *.gp4 files with the correct names you are going to need to use.
The reason why you should not be using any other "LOD 0 only" tool, is because these interfere with the same area of the exe that is being patched by H&W Tweaker.
Hope this helps!

I don't know if I've screwed something up but this is how it goes...

H&W Tweaker 0.9b does remember the GP4.exe and that I checked "Enable individual helmet shapes". But the only thing it does, is modify the .exe but nothing happens ingame.

H&W Tweaker 1.0.1, does not remember the GP4.exe and I can't tick the boxes. If I checked "Enable individual helmet shapes" box in the 0.9b version, it will be checked in the 1.0.1 version aswell. But I can't uncheck it. Nothing happens ingame.

I have disabled "Force LOD0 helmets" in TeamEditor. Do I need to do that with all shapes? Wheels, cars etc. despite not wanting different wheel shapes? Do I have to add LODs 1-4 aswell for all shapes for this to work? Last time I did this, it did not make any difference Does every helmet also need LODs 1-4 aswell?

Date: June 26, 2023 03:57AM
I'm not entirely sure of what's going on. Make sure you're starting with a fresh gp4.exe. Maybe try running H&W Tweaker as administrator?

Another possible approach for you could take woul be to use the INI Patcher function in Wad Controller. You can patch gp4.exe with the original *.ini files I had made. Once you've patched the exe, try running the game with an original cars.wad. The game should crash. When looking at gpxload.txt, you should see that the crash is caused by the failure to load CAR_(team)_HelmetX_LOD_0.gp4

You don't have to disable "LOD 0 only" for other things, only helmets, if that's all you're using. LODS 1-4 don't matter if you're using the LOD 0 Only version of the patch.

Date: June 26, 2023 04:04PM
Posted by: Duffer
@ SkaaningeN : Can you send me your GP4.exe file for a try ?

--------------------------------------------

Öggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not entirely sure of what's going on. Make
> sure you're starting with a fresh gp4.exe. Maybe
> try running H&W Tweaker as administrator?
>
> Another possible approach for you could take woul
> be to use the INI Patcher function in Wad
> Controller. You can patch gp4.exe with the
> original *.ini files I had made. Once you've
> patched the exe, try running the game with an
> original cars.wad. The game should crash. When
> looking at gpxload.txt, you should see that the
> crash is caused by the failure to load
> CAR_(team)_HelmetX_LOD_0.gp4
>
> You don't have to disable "LOD 0 only" for other
> things, only helmets, if that's all you're using.
> LODS 1-4 don't matter if you're using the LOD 0
> Only version of the patch.

I have never used Wadcontroller, what does it do?

With that option, would I not need to change the GP4.exe every time I go back to a cars.wad with only one default helmet shape?

I have to ask aswell, I downloaded this a while back: [www.mediafire.com]

What does this do? Is it only for CSM? Cause I can't really make out from the readme to be honest.

The interesting thing about this is really that for some reason, I can check and uncheck in an older version of the program but not the new version. I took the config textfile from 0.9b and put in the 1.0.1 folder and now the program remembers the GP4.exe but I still can't check or uncheck the boxes. I can press "Generate helmets" but nothing happens.
Date: June 26, 2023 08:46PM
I have check your GP4.exe, you use a GP4.exe version 1.0. My software at this time work only for GP4 in 1.02 version. That why you use H&T Tweaker 1.0.1. I'll going to look to add the support of GP4 1.00.

I check, H&T Tweaker 1.0.1 work for 1.02 GP4 version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2023 08:47PM by Duffer.
I remember using 1.02 version but I could not get GP4 Master to work without a decrypted .exe. Apparently the no-cd .exe 1.02 I have is not decrypted.
And I use GP4 Master to compile my cars.wad.

Also, when I changed to 1.02 and disabled CD check with GP4 Tweaker, the game crashed saying it could not load the Jaguar cars. Maybe I can't just change the GP4.exe alone.
On the other hand, H&T Tweaker 1.0.1 accually worked with 1.02, I could check and uncheck the boxes.

I hate this sometimes. I don't want to reinstall the game again. Do any of you have patch notes on GP4 v.1.02? I like to see what Im missing

Right, so I've tinkered myself by using the GP4.exe 1.02 and got the individual helmetshapes to work. But I have just copied the the .exe from the finished install by GP4 Central. I don't know what problems that could occur if the rest of the game is 1.00. I think my game is v1.02 since I reinstalled from that download some time back but not sure. I think I just reverted back to 1.00 because of GP4 Master

This method, of course, created a new problem. Suddenly the helmet textures for driver 9, 10 and 21 is rendered from the cars map in the game folder instead of from the cars.wad. Of course, it's easy to fix. However, this is a little annoying since I use different cars.wad for each race. (16 for 2003 for example). Then I have to switch those every time aswell. Or is there a fix?

I solved the GP Master problem by just putting the GP4.exe 1.00 and f1gstate.sav in a backup map and I can link GP4 Master to it and still create cars.wad

Date: June 28, 2023 05:30AM
Great to hear you got it to work! The tweak was only meant for v1.02, as I didn't think anyone would still be using v1.00.
Anyway, as far as the cars folder issue: there is a fix. I have mentioned WadController before, it has a feature to patch gp4.exe with ini files usually meant for CSM.
Create a text file with the following content and name it something like DisableCarsFolder.ini.

[Main]
Format = 

[V1.00]

[V1.02]
Offset1 = 0x0023F838 ;Disable Cars Folder
Code1 = 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

For reference, this is a conversion of DisableCarsFolder.cap that all CSM mods use. Now, open WadController and select IniPatcher. In the new window, open the DisableCarsFolder.ini that you created, check "Disable Cars Folder" from the list of modifications on the right and click Patch. Et voilà, your GP4.exe won't use any of the files from the external cars folder anymore.

Date: June 28, 2023 11:07PM
Now H&T Tweaker is compatible with GP4 1.00. Here the link

Big thank you for the effort Duffer!

Now, I encounted a new problem ;)

Still using v1.02

I decided to test the individual tyre shapes aswell. However, this did not work.

The game loaded the same tyreshape for all cars, even when I've given the cars the right shape. Which means it still loads the default one. Also, with this tweak on, driver18 helmet is suddenly replacing half the grid helmets. In this case, Justin Wilson now drives like 10 cars! As soon as I uncheck the tyreshape box in H&T, the helmets work fine again. What's happening?

Date: June 29, 2023 01:02AM
Posted by: fongu
I found that the helmet naming convention changes slightly if you use it in conjunction with the tyre tweak.

If you have GpxPatch error log running with detailed log, then you can see in there what it is trying to load (but not finding).

If it manages to load a helmet for the default (for some reason here driver 18), then it will load that driver for every shape it cannot find.

fongu Wrote:
> I found that the helmet naming convention changes
> slightly if you use it in conjunction with the
> tyre tweak.
>
> If you have GpxPatch error log running with
> detailed log, then you can see in there what it is
> trying to load (but not finding).
>
> If it manages to load a helmet for the default
> (for some reason here driver 18), then it will
> load that driver for every shape it cannot find.

That sounds about right. Is there a way to fix this from my end? Or do I have to choose either helmets or tyres?

Date: June 29, 2023 09:01PM
I'll going to look ;)

Date: July 06, 2023 11:11PM
fongu écrivait:
> I found that the helmet naming convention changes
> slightly if you use it in conjunction with the tyr
> e tweak.

I just looked, normally the name of the helmet file doesn't change if you check the tires and vice versa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy