How do I make sure no one stops at the pits ?

Posted by viking75 
How do I make sure no one stops at the pits ?
Date: June 16, 2023 02:41PM
Posted by: viking75
Hello,

Yes, how do I make sure no one stops at the pits ? I would like to do an experiment, to know if I can win even if I or nobody stops in the pits. Can I find the solution in the dat file? Thx.
Set the pit window after the total laps of the race in the dat file?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Re: How do I make sure no one stops at the pits ?
Date: June 16, 2023 07:42PM
It doesn't work but I think I didn't understand. May I change the value of pit window in 0 ? Or can you show me with a picture please ?

Hi Viking,

Basically the AI in GP4 is designed to make refuling stops.

What we can do is use a trick to make the AI stop after the race has finished.

For example here parts of my Kyalami 1992.dat with a race distance of 72 Laps:

Group 1 Pitstop=100
Group 1 stop 1=73
Group 1 Pit window 1=3
Group 2 Pitstop=0
Group 2 stop 1=0
Group 2 Pit window 1=0
Group 2 stop 2=0
Group 2 Pit window 2=0
Group 3 Pitstop=0
Group 3 stop 1=0
Group 3 Pit window 1=0
Group 3 stop 2=0
Group 3 Pit window 2=0
Group 3 stop 3=0
Group 3 Pit window 3=0

The cars will in this case only stop when they have mechanical failures but not for refuling/tyre changes.

Please make sure the entry:" Fuel=xxxx" in the MD is correct, so the AI not uses more than 1.0kg fuel per lap, otherwise it would run off fuel before race end and will stop. Hope this helps?
Date: June 17, 2023 10:00AM
Many thanks tamburello, it works. There's yet one or two cars that stop and I don't know why but it's not very disturbing. In fact there are two reasons why I wanted to "fix" this problem. The first is just for fun. The second is because there are some tracks it's difficult to enter in the pits, like Las Vegas or St.Petersburg. So I prefer not to stop. But to be fair with all the other cars and win or not legally, I want no one stops at the pits :-).

Thanks again for your precious help.
My pleasure viking!
Maybe these cars have technial problems and that caused them to stop. However, great it worked and indeed is very useful if you are racing on tracks with pitlane problems. I also use this to simulate earlier seasons when there were no refuling or tyre changes.

A tipp: Before I start into the qualy/race sessions I load a qualiying seasion and watch the fastest cars on their lap to check if the fuel consumption is OK; ideally ~0.9kg per lap. This is to make sure they do not run out of fuel during the race and have to stop/retire and they have a little buffer if they make a drive error and go through gras/gravel e. g.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2023 04:31PM by tamburello.
Date: June 17, 2023 08:14PM
You are full of tips. I complicate my life a lot to do a race in good conditions but everything is a failure for me. Anyway, now I know how to fix the pit problem. In fact, you have to know that I play with my keyboard and that controlling my entry into the pits when it is difficult is not always obvious.
You tell me that it was you who made Kylami 92. Imagine that it is my favorite circuit with Monaco and Österreichring. When I race on a super circuit I never know who I owe it to. There are many like that. Do you plan to do a new circuit soon? Maybe Monthléry or Charade? / Tu es plein d'astuces. Je me complique beaucoup la vie pour faire une course dans de bonnes condition mais tout est un échec chez moi. En tout cas, maintenant je sais comment réglé le problème des stands. En fait, il faut savoir que je joue avec mon clavier et que contrôler mon entrée aux stands lorsqu'elle est difficile n'est pas toujour une évidence.
Tu me dis que c'est toi qui as fais Kylami 92. Figure-toi que c'est mon circuit préféré avec Monaco et Österreichring. Quand je fait une course sur un circuit super je ne sais jamais à qui je le dois. Il y en a beaucoup comme ça. As-tu prévu de faire un nouveau circuit bientôt ? Peut-être Monthléry ou Charade ?
I'm playing with keyboard as well and indeed at some tracks it's very tricky to find a good line into the pits as the steering help of the game always activates.
Regarding the Kyalami track, sorry, if I made the impression like I created the Kyalami track which I didn't :-)
I'm no track creator, my only skill in this area updating existing tracks with new graphics like I did with some 1996 tracks years ago (Melbourne, Barcelona and Suzuka) ;-).
Funnily I also started to work on some 1992 too at this time (including Kyalami) but not had the time to bring them to release state, although, iirc in Estoril only two- three graphics were missing to complete.
Date: June 18, 2023 09:29AM
I thought you made Kyalami cause you wrote "my kyalami dat". But it doesn't matter, you do many things for the communauty, you prooved me by helping me. See you later with pleasure tamburello.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy