Search Button

Posted by whingr ron 
Re: Search Button
Date: July 07, 2003 03:59PM
Posted by: Toby Burke
"If you dont answer, the whine..."

Well, I've seen a couple threads from "old timers" (myself being a newbie) that have asked the same question that could have been found while searching. Hell, there was one "old timer" that asked the same question he'd had answered two days prior. He said "I forgot".....

Let's not throw all the newbies into a collective stewing pot about not using the search feature. There's some of you that's been here for eons that have, from time to time, not clicked on that Search feature as well. Sure, you get razzed about it, but it's never started the GP4 Inquisition when it happened.

Why not a sticky FAQ, explaining the most answered questions? Like helmet/arms position of new cars (and yes, there are some wrong coordinates in some of the Read Me's...missing the "-" mostly)...or there is no track editor available...or no, there's no way to get rid of Arrows for 2003. Things along those lines.

If no one else wants to put something like this together, I'd be more than happy to. I'll research topics nominated by the masses here, answer them from looking through posts here, post is in a thread and the powers that be can make it a Sticky. All I need to know is what topics seem to be asked the most frequently. Will take me a few days as I just started a new job, but I can have it done NLT this weekend easily.

Call it a newbie's contribution to the community.
Date: July 07, 2003 04:16PM
Posted by: jginete
ok, now it's my time to post a long message (sorry, it's 23:15 here, i'm a bit tired):
Everyone can use a search button to search for some answers. of course it's easier to start a new post with things like "What do you think about the MP4-182 or "Is there a track editro for GP4". There should be a FAQ thread, where everyone could post and where the guy who started the first thread edited the first post everytime it appears a new FAQ. it'd be easier to the newbies. kinda with the subject "ALL NEWBIES, READ HERE - GP FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - READ BEFORE POST ANY QUESTIONS"
Let's please stop with this and let the search button alone. He wants to see his cousin Jenson (understood that one? search BUTTON, jenson BUTTON. no? ok, forget it..=

Date: July 07, 2003 04:26PM
Posted by: Morbid
We seem to be coming back to the sticky FAQ. But lets just call it a FAQ. Being labelled a n00b on the front page on thread numero uno exactly a nice warm welcome.

Kudos to you Toby Burke, for voluntering on the job. Good show! But why not just make it a sticky, with the first post being yours. Then we can contribute in that thread, but you will sift through it and add as needed. Ellis cann clear the posts from time to time, when the thread becomes slow to load. Toby, I hope you realize that it is going to be a bit of an ongoing job. As I said, "top of the month" questions come and go.

As to the technical question, Ellis could you please ask Stephan or Bruno to make sticky threads possible?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 07, 2003 07:04PM
Posted by: Ellis
Right guys, if you wish i can ask Bruno and stefan if one sticky would be possible and we could all post the obvious questions in that.

We would of course have to control ourselves and make sure we dont have big long convos in it as that would simply slow down the thread as people wouldnt go in it

One reason i like this forum is because i was around on the old days of the "phorum" before it was closed and i loved it because there was no fancy crap. It was a forum, you posted, that was the end of it. There wasnt millions of options on how you want you post formatted.

After some pretty major spamming sessions on the old phorum, it was closed and a this forum was opened. It was a wee bit more technical, but so much so i stayed and i prefer this layout too

I dont want this forum to slowly but surely get too technical.

Are we all agreed one Sticky thread at the top would be fine?

If so i will ask Bruno/Stefan if it is possible so we can post FAQ in there.

If it does, we of course kindly request you do not chat in this thread as it will slow it down, and we dont want to destroy it as it wud partly take away what the thread was there for: fast answers

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 07, 2003 07:13PM
Posted by: tux
nice speling there ellis :)

Date: July 07, 2003 09:11PM
Posted by: Toby Burke
Morbid,

It wouldn't be that much of a problem IMO. Once we get the "base" of it built, it would be basic "maintenance". The most asked questions seem to be the same ones. I'd start with helmet/arms position for add-on cars. Or "No, there is no track editor yet for GP4." From my limited time here, those are the ones I've seen most of all.

I'm studying for a test at work tomorrow right now, but later in the week I'll go through all the posts and write down what pertinent info that a newbie, such as myself...:)...would be inquiring about on his/her first visits here.
Date: July 08, 2003 01:11AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Toby, if you need any help, my email is cpfjones@hotmail.com (summer holidays, bored)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 08, 2003 06:20AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Yes dave but surely the best idea would be for whoever posted it to incorporate everything in thier post (edit it when new things come up) and we post all the ideas in a thread like this.

Therefore it is uncluttered and only one post long so new people would read it and you could continuously edit it to keep it up to date

Date: July 08, 2003 03:44PM
Posted by: Vader
You could have tons of threads as sticky as a horny bull's cum and still people would ignore them and post the same old questions over and over again and again. You can either live with it - but then you have to live with us moaning about it, too - or you can shoot all newbies right away. Make your choice. ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 08, 2003 05:05PM
Posted by: JackieStewart
Hey, resolution. Everybody's happy.
"And I think to myself, it's a wonderful world, yeah........."

....................I quite like this now.
Date: July 09, 2003 03:35PM
Posted by: LS.
Please be tolerant and remember that we were all newbies once.

well maybe not all of us , i remember when this website was a mere abacus

Post Edited (07-09-03 22:36)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 09, 2003 04:00PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Why didnt u choose the calculator that come with windows instead

Date: July 09, 2003 04:32PM
Posted by: jginete
HEY! what about, when registring, to display a message. or a small banner on the corner of the screen?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy