Search Button

Posted by whingr ron 
Search Button
Date: July 07, 2003 02:18AM
Posted by: whingr ron
Why not fix the problem by FIXING THE PROBLEM!!!

Make it stick out like a pair of dogs balls with tag attached stating;

"Please use the search button to try and resolve your problem before posting or we will send Fraulein Hilda around to probe your butt with nasty implements".

That way, newbies wont get abused out of frustration when doing so, and likewise oldtimers wont get it back!

Or is there a problem doing this?
Re: Search Button
Date: July 07, 2003 04:15AM
Posted by: Pooky
he whinger ron

lol at the name

lol at frauline hilda

lol at the post;)

Date: July 07, 2003 04:27AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
But ur a newbie!

;)

Date: July 07, 2003 05:16AM
Posted by: chrislewis
I agree whingr ron.
Date: July 07, 2003 08:26AM
Posted by: Ellis
If u wana code it, on you go, but im pretty sure stefan aint gona code it in cos this forum looks great, i dont want a size 50 font of "search button" plastered all over my screen!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 07, 2003 10:18AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
So make a sticky thread 'all newbied read before posting new topics'

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 07, 2003 10:25AM
Posted by: Morbid
Look, it is not like the search button is hidden away in some distant corner. If you can find any of the other buttons, you can find the search button. Most of the forums I know have search buttons that are about the same size, sometimes with better locations, sometimes with worse, BUT people USE it goddammit.

I think the problem really has a lot more to do with the fact that newbs are impatient (they have been frustrated over some problem or puzzle for quite a while), or they just don't have much net experience.

It is only because this is electronic communication, that it seems defendable and even logical to wander into a room that is frequented by more than 1900 people and ask the first person you see, and if they don't have/give the answer you seek, you abuse them.

Post Edited (07-07-03 17:27)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 07, 2003 10:29AM
DAMN RIGHT! :)

Date: July 07, 2003 10:33AM
Sticky threads would be a really nice thing too. We could work out a GP4 FAQ answering the most common questions about various issues. As long as we don't have half of the front page plastered in sticky threads, I am all for it.

Date: July 07, 2003 12:19PM
Posted by: JackieStewart
Bloody Hell.
I'm getting more fed up with people moaning about the search button (or lack of it's use) than people asking the same "old" questions.
This is a "Community Forum". If you don't want to answer a question that youi've seen many times before then don't bloody answer it. Stop being a moaner and just move onto the next thread. If you can't be arsed answering a newbies plea for help then someone else will.
I've been a member of this community for quite a while now and I've forgotten how to edit certain things or get mixed up sometimes. I've used the search on many occasions but one problem is that due to GP4's complexity and the massive variables in Editors and Modes, sometimes it's not that easy to find what you're looking for.
The simple answer is to place some "Stickies" refering to the basic problems, we've commented on this before and it hasn't happened so forget it. I'm sure the site administrators have heard it all before and are aware of the issue.
In summary, if you can't or won't help someone thengo and do something else instead and STOP MOANING LIKE A BUNCH OF OLD WOMEN.
Sanctimoniously yours,
Jackie.

....................I quite like this now.
Date: July 07, 2003 12:30PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

I Agree with you Jackie!! dont want to answer a question by someone, then DONT answer it!

Date: July 07, 2003 12:37PM
Posted by: b-tone
the 'new post' page should have 'have you searched' line

but jackies near about the hammer on the head there.

____
Tony

Date: July 07, 2003 12:47PM
Sorry to say this but i dont see anyone moaning expect wingr ron and you jackie

Date: July 07, 2003 02:24PM
I am sorry but I can't see how Jackie is even close to hitting the nail on the head, let alone the barn.

I seem to remember Jackie that you have been here long enough to know, but if my memory fails me here, let me refresh your memory where mine is still intact.

Not answering questions has been tried. Quite a fair share of them don't get answered at all. Usually that leads to the question being bumped by the author, who, depending on the person in question, lets of steam. The amount of steam swings between, "okay you guys really annoy me, so..." to regular lowbrow abuse. Quite often, the thread is even bumped before it reaches page 2, and in some cases it is bumped even before 1 hour has passed. The same problem and the same conflict, the only thing that happens is that the conflict is delayed and a few are avoided. But the basic problem is still there and its just as present and is just as frustrating for both parties as before...

We have several questions that have been "top of the month" which where repeated endlessly. As far as I recollect, we even had those with GP3 ("Old Nürburgring" or "More than 11 teams" anyone?). They come and they go, sometimes there are many, sometimes few. But they don't go away...

The lack of thought and effort that comes before these questions are sometimes just an insult. I remember several "top of the month" question threads that were present on page 1, at the same time! How much thought do you put behind your actions when you ask a question that is asked in the header of a thread six places down? He could just have clicked one of the other guys questions, and see what information they had gotten. But no... What does that kind of actions say about how those that ask percieve us? We are not here to beg and serve.

Isn't it normal when you come someplace you have not been before that you look around and have a taste of how things work and who people are before you act up? Don't you do that when your friends invite you over to some place you have not been at before? Why should it be different here?

In any case, abuse of those that ask "stupid" questions, is not acceptable. But I don't really see that this is the case. Answering people in such a fashion that they are empowered to help themselves, both now and in the future can hardly be construed as an insult. If you entered a shopping mall, and asked a bypasser if they sold this and that kind of shoes, and he answered (probably he would answer: sorry, I don't work here) "There is a map of the complex over there, and there you can find out how to get the information you need", would you then cry foul play? Would you even cry foul play if the answer was "sorry, I don't work here"?

Playing the "you oldtimers are evil to the n00bs" card always yields a lot of sympathy. But it doesn't necessarily make it a fact, nor enlighten the problems at hand or the solution to those problems.

Post Edited (07-07-03 21:38)

Date: July 07, 2003 03:04PM
Posted by: tux
i agree morbid :)

just to add, at one time THE SAME QUESTION was on the first page of the gp4 forums 4 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

enough is enough!

Post Edited (07-07-03 22:34)

Date: July 07, 2003 03:09PM
Alright morbid, you've got some points there but it doesn't solve or even help this issue.
We might be missing the main point here.
If this site (which I actually care about and I personally log onto many times daily) is to move forward (as opposed to stagnate) then we've got to help Newbies become more experienced users. Experienced users are the guys who build on and modify the game. Not newbies. How do we expect them to learn if we don't help them - (I'm agreeing with you here!).
Yes, it has been known for people to "abuse" the service provided by just lobbing in questions that can be "Searched" on but I really don't think that is the case too often.
I recently "Searched" on a problem to do with Visor allocation. I did several searches but "missed" the answer. Cryptic clues as to what to do only frustrated me. There's nothing worse than someone giving it "I know, I know but ain't telling you" (your shopping mall analagy).
I think the answer is fairly straightforward.
Get used to the fact that this/our GP4 is a difficult and complex bugger and anyone who feels as if they want to CONTRIBUTE to the wealth of knowledge will have to contribute time and time again. Hey, how much of a hassle is that really. I've answered "easy" questions time and time again (eg 32 bit graphic options etc). I don't mind. Why should others. It only takes a couple of minutes for godsake!
Oh, another thing. You don't get this sort of "discussion" on other game sites (FIFA for example). Guys just help. Maybe some of our members are a bit too precious.
Discuss - (LOL)
Anyway, I'm off to open a beer and batter round Silverstone ahead of seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks. Guy's, it's only a computer with a load of pixels flying around, lets all chill out and get things in perspective a little.
Jackie (stir's it up and then buggers off when the fighting begins) Stewart.

P.S. I've still got the best sig..

Date: July 07, 2003 03:14PM
Posted by: genesis
Jon didn't mess up the bold! ;)

Post Edited (07-07-03 22:35)

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: July 07, 2003 03:22PM
Posted by: Ellis
Sry but if u dont answer they whine, if u do answer u get fed up answering AGAIN bout the feckin track editor

If they were smart enough to use the search button (and some have used it) then these problems wouldnt happen

Some have come in and said "ok i used the search button and found nothing so can u help me on this"

Clearly even the rearer questions are being asked via search, and yet people dont search for the other stuff

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 07, 2003 03:33PM
Posted by: tux
"Jon messed up the bold!"

sure????? ;)

Date: July 07, 2003 03:47PM
Anyone know any good jokes?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy