Game freezing when loading track for a 2nd time?

Posted by rangerk19 
Game freezing when loading track for a 2nd time?
Date: June 25, 2021 05:35AM
Posted by: rangerk19
Hey everyone, first of all congrats for the amazing job you guys do to keep this wonderful game alive!
I'm quite new to this stuff; i've had the game for a month, and had never played it before.
I started off by reading all kinds of tutorials, then downloading the 2006 Mod by MSchumi24, via CSM/TSM.
After some manual tweaks it went fantastically well; after learning to play i started a custom championship and all.

But the problem began when i started experimenting with a couple mods that were more difficult to install, without having any experience at all.
After I returned to the 2006 one, i started experimenting some problems. The engine sound and HUD would randomly change, CSM would repeteadly show different errors, GP4 would always end up crashing after closing it and, worst and most important of it all, the game would freeze each time I tried to load a track for the second time. Whether it's a mid-race savegame, or a new gamemode, as long as I repeat the track, it just takes an eternity to load.

I then found out that the 2nd time actually ended up loading after like 5 minutes (it's faster to close and reopen the game at that point), but the 3rd one is definitive.
After messing around with some backup files i had, and restarting all mods, i decided to pull the plug and uninstall the game.
I repeated the whole initial process, installing patches and ZaZ tools, and then the 06 mod.
I solved every single problem except for the loading times, so i decided to create this post to seek help.

Some additional data that may help you:
-I've tried every single graphic quality configuration, and every CSM modification that i kinda understood.
-I've uninstalled every modification apart from the 2006 mod and trackpack. I even left out the custom 06 HUD this time.
-The only difference that the game has from the time when it worked is that I've slightly modified the race calendar, so I could include Interlagos (no.18). I removed Sakhir and moved the other 16 a step up.

Sorry if it's too long or if the topic lacks any aesthetic detail. It's my first time even trying to write something here, and i hadn't used a forum in like 8 years.
I'd be very thankful if someone can reach out and help. And again, congratulations on the amazing community you've build!
Re: Game freezing when loading track for a 2nd time?
Date: June 26, 2021 12:13AM
Posted by: TomMK
I've noticed this too, and suspected it might be a bug. I've not found a fix. A workaround is to "quick-exit" using Ctrl+Alt+End then restart the game between each session.

Possibly it's a memory leak caused by using more detailed tracks?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: June 26, 2021 01:39AM
Posted by: mortal
Memory leak? That makes me think of the the app in my files to increase memory to 4GB. Check my sig.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 26, 2021 02:11AM
Posted by: TomMK
Yeh I use that already Mal, and I'm probably wrong in my diagnosis anyway. Where is René when you need him?!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Memory leak? That makes me think of the the app in
> my files to increase memory to 4GB. Check my sig.

I guess you mean the "remove2gblimit.zip". I downloaded it, but had no idea how to use that little file that came in. Just dropped it on the gp4 folder, and it understandably did nothing. Is there any tutorial available? Thanks a lot for the response!
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Possibly it's a memory leak caused by using more
> detailed tracks?

Hi, thanks 4 the reply. I tried using the CFF Explorer, as recommended by this topic from 2019 that also happened to have you on the replies.
Instead of making my game flow faster and prevent the loading freeze, it somehow did the opposite, and I experienced minor graphic and sound errors mid race.
Idk if it was my mistake; i think i followed OP neilcaine's steps correctly.

neilcaine
SLOWDOWN SOLUTION
Allow GP4 to handle more than 2Gb address space with CFFExplorer (Open gp4.exe with CFFExplorer, into "file header" , into characteristics, click on "click here" and into the options, tick the box: "App can handle more than 2GB space adress". Then save your gp4.exe)
Date: June 29, 2021 08:24AM
Posted by: mortal
This might be useful. [www.grandprixgames.org]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy