Formula 1 Legends Mod İdea

Posted by asdqweyuk 
Re: Formula 1 Legends Mod İdea
Date: May 08, 2021 02:15AM
Posted by: asdqweyuk
one more detailed post, thanks again. and i know you have work until sunday. thanks for give time again. thanks for warning me, i wont publish mod but this page can be stay for show idea. maybe any modder will be wanna create legends mod too. thanks for kind words about my new blood, but unfortunately, i have little time after work, and i afraid i will be dissapear when mod finished. but, i will send you PM posts about whats happening when playing mode, and ask how is your experience with it too.

oh i love Frank, especially when he smiley face when hamilton drive for him. = ) i try to said if i make 2020 mod, i stuck to reality and give them no chance to be champion. but in our legend mode, they has 4th best car, they are our pretty king from Crusader kings = )

"For example, things like Senna being an amazing qualifier is one of the things that I would like to be reflected in the mod if I was making it too; so if it were me I'd want to make it so that most of the time Senna will out-qualify Prost, but Prost will probably finish more races than Senna and they will have a roughly equal chance of winning the championship."

we should decide to Tiers of Drivers. Maybe in PM massages. if Senna and Prost will be in same tier, your this sentence is perfect.

"Skill points, or what I would call a talent rating, is also quite hard to emulate. What I do normally is I decide what stats the 'average' driver should have, then I would give more 'grip' to the drivers I thought were especially talented, but reduce their 'power' to compensate."

Here is same. Example İf: Leclerc and Verstappen in our tier 3 class. verstappen more talented and leclerc more fast. its equal them, and it is why they are in same tier. but when they duelling with Prost who is Tier 1 class, they mustnt be equal. But, most importatnt part, they can beat him with low% chance. hearing your equalise logic, and talent speed differencies is amazing. i can feel what is your spreadsheet art.

thanks for explain failure% again.

lastly, i have headache with helmets. every thing is good with driverX_1.tex and driverX_2.tex helmets. but there is lovely new helmets has only driverX_1.tex and different shapes. i couldnt put shape file to car.wad, it destroys old kind helmets. my poor solution now, copy driverX_1 tex and change that copies name to driverX_2.tex and put both of them in car.wad. yeah, at least there is color harmony now at helmets top and sides, with little handicap: textures on drivers faces! i fool myself with say that: "Oh they are just visor reflections." = ) (note: i found Prost helmet 1988 for you ; )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 02:24PM by asdqweyuk.
Date: May 08, 2021 04:36PM
Posted by: Noog
"thanks for kind words about my new blood, but unfortunately, i have little time after work, and i afraid i will be dissapear when mod finished"

That's a shame... I was going to ask if you would do a little job for me. 16 loading screens. Already done really, but could use a little of your magic to make them more interesting.

"Williams... i stuck to reality and give them no chance to be champion. but in our legend mode, they has 4th best car, they are our pretty king from Crusader kings = )"

OK, 4th best it is. Maybe aim for two or three wins and six to nine podiums per season perhaps? And more consistent than average?

(You might like to know that pitstop times can be modified too, so that a very well trained pitcrew can be made to complete a pitstop slightly faster than the average, some of the time. If you like that, maybe you could think about which teams should be given which level - maybe good, average & below average).

"we should decide to Tiers of Drivers. Maybe in PM massages. if Senna and Prost will be in same tier, your this sentence is perfect."

Good idea. Since it's your mod, you choose first and I'll make comments on them.

"Skill points... Example İf: Leclerc and Verstappen in our tier 3 class. verstappen more talented and leclerc more fast. its equal them, and it is why they are in same tier. but when they duelling with Prost who is Tier 1 class, they mustnt be equal. But, most importatnt part, they can beat him with low% chance. hearing your equalise logic, and talent speed differencies is amazing. i can feel what is your spreadsheet art."

Sounds good. Matches my thoughts exactly, but being an old guy, and a Brit, you can expect me to want to rate Hunt more highly than you might like! ;-)

"thanks for explain failure% again."

No problem.

"i have headache with helmets."

Choose a bigger size. ;-)

Actually, helmets are an interesting story and it will help you understand why you're having problems:

In the original game, all helmet GFX were mapped on to a single model shape: car_helmet_00.gp4 (comes with 3 lower lods, 1,2 & 3). All drivers share the same shape - like how the cockpit shape in the cockpit view is shared by all drivers.

Over the years, several updated helmet shapes have been created, but most require the helmet GFX to be laid out differently to the originals.

So if the helmet shape used in your mod works correctly for some drivers but not others, you'll need to match the layout of the tex for the non-working ones with the layout used for the ones that do work correctly.

Alternatively, if none of the helmet GFX work properly, (but they are all laid out the same in your tex files) it might be quicker to go back to the very first one you edited, and take the car_helmet_00.gp4 shape from that mod (whatever it was) and drop it into yours, using Easywad or Wadupdater etc.

Finally, I thought of another feature you could make use of last night. There is a file called numcars.ini that you can use to prevent a car from taking part in a race or certain races. He'll still qualify as normal, but he'll be missing from the grid - and it could be used to make it harder for certain fast cars to win the championship by denying them entry into a race or two: a bit like when Schumacher was disqualified twice in 1994 which probably cost him the title.

Looking forward to getting started on your PFs soon. It's going to be fun to get it all working well on the track. Remember to send me your track.DATs some time too, so I can fix your fuel & pitstops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 04:37PM by Noog.
Date: May 08, 2021 05:31PM
That's a shame... I was going to ask if you would do a little job for me. 16 loading screens. Already done really, but could use a little of your magic to make them more interesting.

np, send me them from PM and describe what you like.

OK, 4th best it is. Maybe aim for two or three wins and six to nine podiums per season perhaps? And more consistent than average?

nope, it good for me than they can be champion but lower% from FER, MCL, MER bosses club.

Good idea. Since it's your mod, you choose first and I'll make comments on them.

Looking forward to getting started on your PFs soon. It's going to be fun to get it all working well on the track. Remember to send me your track.DATs some time too, so I can fix your fuel & pitstops.

i will send that PM and files when i finish this graphical stuff as headache helmets. and game begin run little slowly, maybe i will turn back some original tracks. example original interlagos from modified interlagos. because they are faster. but i dont know, when i finish graphical issued i will test them and my patient = )

"but most require the helmet GFX to be laid out differently to the originals."

i want to use different hsapes at same time for per drivers, but it seems it is imposibble.

"you'll need to match the layout of the tex for the non-working ones with the layout used for the ones that do work correctly." i tried it with GP+ Builder but its too hard and will take too many time. and it is problem for me.

"Alternatively, if none of the helmet GFX work properly, (but they are all laid out the same in your tex files) it might be quicker to go back to the very first one you edited, and take the car_helmet_00.gp4 shape from that mod (whatever it was) and drop it into yours, using Easywad or Wadupdater etc."

i tried it too, but than other drivers helmets broken. my every driver need different shapes. hamilton best helmet from 2019 shape, prousts from 1990 shapes, piquet from 1988 all of them want their shapes.

my final decision is unfortunately going to no use their most familiar helmets. instead of them i will try to wear them original their shape helmets. for leclerc and max, i will give them bar lucky strike car helmets from another drivers. helmets shapes are beat me but i dont have time to resahpe them. : (

lastly i download a ton of mods, and now i am going to their helmet folders to find another helmets for drivers. see you.

oh, finally, i found this in forum. kingdeuce86's Legend's Trophy. i think didnt publish it, but it seems awesome.

[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: May 08, 2021 09:29PM
Will send PM about loading screens and a link to download them in an hour or so. Thanks.

The version of the mod I'm working on is supposed to be finished tomorrow, but it's only a beta version so there's no rush to get anything to me. It can be a nice surprise for the final version in a few weeks.

Don't worry. Williams won't ALWAYS be 4th, but if you completed, say, 6 seasons and added all the points up, they would be very likely to end up in 3rd, 4th or 5th - and I think being a Legends mod, each season should be quite varied and unpredictable compared to the real world seasons where one or two teams usually dominate. You can have whatever you want really. Once the drivers, teams and fake data is in place it's easy enough to tweak it later on.

I have a mod I use for 'qualifying' in a career mode that I created (and I also use it for calibrating new track MDs) where every car is set to exactly the same values - but when everything is very close like that the actual races can end up with very little excitement (ie almost no overtaking) once the first lap is completed.

It's about finding the right balance between entirely random and wholly determined results really - and since both of us do short races it shouldn't take too long to get it to behave the way you want it to, but with enough surprises to keep it interesting.

Where do you record your results by the way? If you use the game itself, I'll send you a spreadsheet to look at instead. You would have to enter the results after each race manually but it's much better for analysis purposes and seeing trends etc. I'll send you a working example when I return your tracks.DATs.

So, because of that, a quick question. What would you like the points scoring system to be? We could use one of the many F1 variations or we could come up with a new one (my spreadsheet makes all this easy and calculates points and positions automatically as you add the data). It also comes with an automated compilation page where you will be able to see how things look after the six seasons I mentioned above! I know you don't like spreadsheets, but I think you'll find it useful and very easy to use.

Helmets.

Yes, as far as I know you have no choice but to use one common helmet shape for all drivers. Helmets shapes work like the cockpit shape in cockpit view - everyone has to share the same one.

kingdeuce86's Legend's Trophy.

I remember reading about that one at the time and thinking it was a clever and ambitious concept that was really well presented but I never saw it in action as I wasn't actually a member of the forum back then. Great stuff.

There was another more recent attempt by timtoffee too, which was called F1 Champions Gold Edition. I can't find the post but it was probably some time in late October 2020 and it also includes some of the earlier drivers, like Fangio, Farina, Brabham, Stewart, Fittipaldi and Graham Hill. I do have that one but I've always been too busy working on my own mods to load it up yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 09:32PM by Noog.
Date: May 09, 2021 12:14AM
when everything is very close like that the actual races can end up with very little excitement (ie almost no overtaking) once the first lap is completed.

what a bad dream it is. i am completely agreed with you, we need tone of overtakings and drama. not boring. we need to istanbul GP 2020 every race = )

Where do you record your results by the way?

which results? i cant play game because no time because of bloody modding! ok, i will wait.

What would you like the points scoring system to be? what is this? after race point system?

It also comes with an automated compilation page where you will be able to see how things look after the six seasons
sound too interesting, in algo trading, people do Monte Carlo Analysis for see future result propobalities. it is very strange to heard it in F! game, lovely.

Helmets.

in my country there is some idiom: " Boss is gonna mad" yeah with helmet i am gonna mad. i refused to losing and opened photoshop. i retexture all best helmets now. Based your Hunt's and Lauda's shape. hamilton 2020 helmet is finished before this post.

F1 Champions

iremember this. i will check again.
Date: May 09, 2021 02:17AM
> i am completely agreed
> with you, we need tone of overtakings and drama.
> not boring. we need to istanbul GP 2020 every race
> = )

I'll send you something soon which will show you how I intend to achieve that. I'll need to draw a diagram to explain properly and discuss it with you.

> i cant play game because no time
> because of bloody modding! ok, i will wait.

PM was sent earlier.

> What would you like the points scoring system to
> be? what is this? after race point system?

Well you know, how many points for a win, how many for 2nd etc. I tend to use my own system which gives 20 pts for 1st, down to 1pt for tenth, but the point is, it can be whatever you want. Older "shorter" F1 points systems, like 9.6.4.3.2.1 tend to disadvantage weaker teams, but giving points down to tenth (or whatever) tends to help weaker teams with good reliability.

In the overall scheme of things it doesn't really matter much, but it's your choice. I've spent a lot of time studying F1 results and almost every season there's a driver who regularly finishes in the top ten, but unless he manages to get a 6th or above he'll get no more points than a driver who finishes near the back. Take a look at Michele Alboreto in 1992 for instance. Sure, he scores enough points to finish 10th in the championship, but he got nothing for his SIX 7th places which didn't seem fair to me somehow. Using my system, for example, he would have finished 8th. Also, compare Lehto and Katayama in the same season. Both got no points at all but clearly Lehto had much better set of results and would have finished 12th using my system instead of 18th=.

Extremely marginal stuff I know, but little things like that keep a 'weirdo stats guy' like me awake at night. ;-)

In your mod, there really won't be any real backmarkers as such, just as no-one will really get the chance to dominate. It will be a much closer championship, because they're all 'legends' by definition, but you might want to give some thought to how you'd like the points system to look - or you can just choose a real F1 system (see the points tab in the spreadsheet I sent).

> It also comes with an automated compilation page
> where you will be able to see how things look
> after the six seasons
> sound too interesting, in algo trading, people do
> Monte Carlo Analysis for see future result
> propobalities. it is very strange to heard it in
> F! game, lovely.

I worked on the floor of the London stock exchange in the mid-2000s. It was only a few days and I didn't like the people much, but it was spreadsheet heaven!

See? I really am a weirdo stats guy...

> Helmets.
>
> in my country there is some idiom: " Boss is gonna
> mad" yeah with helmet i am gonna mad. i refused to
> losing and opened photoshop. i retexture all best
> helmets now. Based your Hunt's and Lauda's shape.
> hamilton 2020 helmet is finished before this post.

Sounds good. It took me months to find my way around the game like you have in just a few days and I remember I was confused by helmets for a while too. Well done.

> F1 Champions
> iremember this. i will check again.

Creation date on my zip is 24th of October 2020. Maybe PM timtoffee if you can't find it.
Date: May 09, 2021 12:40PM
It will be a much closer championship, because they're all 'legends' by definition, but you might want to give some thought to how you'd like the points system to look - or you can just choose a real F1 system (see the points tab in the spreadsheet I sent).

Your point system and examples are sounds excellent. only one question for this. when opponets are too close (as i want),

example: senna 50 schumacher 48 hamilton 46 prost 47 hunt 51 etc..

when 2 pilot dominated: senna 80 schumacher 50 hamilton 48 prost 35 hunt 87

if i am player, example i am niki lauda, t is easier to past hunt's 50 point than hunt's 87 point.

i try to tell that, in first example, it is close competetion but when i am driver, it easy for me. but in second example, there is less competation between drivers but it is more competative for me.

is there any your genius solution about it? i bet you have.
Date: May 09, 2021 11:40PM
Well, if I were you I wouldn't worry about all that yet. The onion has many layers and we're still peeling back the first.

The championship points I mentioned in the PM are only being used to generate the basic power levels in my PF Calc, but they do not reflect how I expect any given season to end up. (Maybe if you drove 10,000 seasons it might end up like that if you added all the seasons together, but it won't happen in this lifetime).

Anyway, once the basic power is set (which is where we're at now), we will then apply layers for variance, grip and failure rate to your 'tiers'. (That's the arty part we need to discuss).

Then, using the data from all those layers, and having applied various profiles (front-loaded, rear-loaded, bell curve, inverted bell curve, consistent, inconsistent) to various drivers across the season, we will generate a full set of real world qualifying and fastest race lap data. (That's the science part).

Then, once that's done, my PF Calc will treat everything as if it were real world data from a normal F1 season and spit out a set of PFs on its own. (That's the get your helmet on and get ready to race part).

It sounds backwards when you write it all down like that, but I think it will lead to a very interesting season, with different drivers looking stronger at various points in the season - and ideally, I'd like you to go into the last race with between, say, four to six drivers (or maybe even more once in a while) still fighting for the title and with up 20 points left to play for, that should be entirely possible.

As for it being too easy for you, I think you'll be surprised, because I'll be using the MDs to make sure that doesn't happen.

(H)

For me, PFs are all about calibrating all the cars, relative to each other. They have nothing to do with the tracks and little to do with the 'human' driver.

MDs on the other hand, are used to calibrate to the cars to the track AND to calibrate the human driven cars relative to the computer controlled ones on that particular track.

So what? Well it means that if the PF dictates your car should come in 10th in a particular race (it will vary for each race), I'll be using the MD to make sure you'll need to drive quite well to even achieve that - and you can almost guarantee you won't be winning regardless of how many yellow Senna pills you take beforehand!

On the other hand, if the PF in another race says that you should win, you'll still have to drive well to do that too - and if the random failure algorithm chooses that particular race to take your car out, you've got a problem.

In other words, there will be a very strong "hidden hand" behind each race - and that's why every race will be competitive for you in every car, all the time. Your days of racing up through the field are over!

But you'll love it... And so will I.

;-)

Seriously, just let it happen dude. I've never attempted anything quite this complex in GP4 before (with all the variable variables varying all the time!) and it might take a while and quite a few test races before it really comes together. But once I come up with a set of PFs for us both to test (and with both of us enjoying short races it should make everything happen sooner), it won't take long before we start to pin it down - and personally I'm hoping to use your mod for the final season in my career modes - a sort of super league kind of a thing, like the European Cup or the World Cup in football.
Date: May 10, 2021 12:30AM
to your this beuty explained message, i has few words to respond: it sounds amazing.

and you can almost guarantee you won't be winning regardless of how many yellow Senna pills you take beforehand!

= ) reading this gave me painful pleasure. this mod will perfect for masochists too.

there will be a very strong "hidden hand" behind each race - and that's why every race will be competitive for you in every car, all the time.

it is what this mod exactly need. all of them champion or champion canditates, than race will be "catch-as-catch-can and yes i can = )"

i cant see my sent mails. i will send you one important PM. let me know if it didnt come.
Date: May 11, 2021 03:55AM
helmets are done. i photoshopped them for convert them to original two tex files. only alonso and rosberg helmets has little problems, i accept help if anyona interesteed to correct them.

front hoods are done. i photoshopped all of them.

tomarrow, i will begin to pitcrew, hud etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy