Formula 1 Legends Mod İdea

Posted by asdqweyuk 
Formula 1 Legends Mod İdea
Date: May 06, 2021 02:10AM
Posted by: asdqweyuk
Hey mates. İ am Photoshop expert. İ want to play Formula 1 game which is not too hard steering, which has good driver aid, because i missed my amiga 500 days, and i found Grand Prix 4. İ am playing it around one week. but i quickly try to change game for my pleasures with no knowledge of modding. Now, i did something.

Firstly i edit Team and Drivers. i checked F1 All Time Stats and select teams:

and after that, i added drivers.

(Thanks "Noog" for teaching edit driver images.)

after that, i decided Circuits for Legends World Championship. for this, i checked Racefan's Circuit Rank. i fill best circuits in mid of season, because early season of too early, and end season of too late. fate of champion should be decided with best tracks. (sorry for my English guys.)

Here is Circuit placement and in brackets rank of them:

1) Suzuka (17) (instead of Korea GP. Because at Korea track, steering looked when out of pitstop)

2) Spa (15)

3) Hockenheim (13)

4) Sepang (11)

5) Monza (9)

6) Sakhir (7)

7) RedBull Ring (5)

8) İnterlagos (3)

9) Circuit Of The America (1)

10) Nurburgring (2)

11) Silverstone (4)

12) İstanbul (6)

13) Shangai (8)

14) Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (10)

15) Melbourne (12)

16) Hungaroring (14)

17) Baku (16)

i loaded all tracks and created this Loadingscreen bmp's.

and my knowladge is finished now. i couldnt change cars, team car textures, helmets and some details as trackmaps etc.

but it is enough now for me, it is really lovely and exciting for me.

i just want to share this idea with you mates.

thanks for this beautiful game and your all creative moddings for it.

(Edit: After Noog's help and teachings, legends on road now.)

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2021 04:20PM by asdqweyuk.
Re: Formula 1 Legends Mod İdea
Date: May 06, 2021 09:39AM
Posted by: Noog
A nice idea and lovely images.

With such talent as yours, I'm sure you will be wanting to get to the other images as soon as possible, so here's something to get you started:

Driver images, as seen in Team Editor and the game driver selection screen are stored in [games folder]/MenuData/PC/GP2001/Images/

They are in gpi format. To view and convert them to a format you can edit, you can use Slimtex (part of ZazTools), or GPI Browser and this useful post will show you which ones are the driver pics:

[www.grandprixgames.org]

Welcome, fellow Amiga 500 veteran! Those were great days.
Date: May 06, 2021 12:08PM
Thank you for warm welcome, for all kind words and teaching. i am going to do it today. if there is error, i will turn back for.

Thanks again Noog.
Date: May 06, 2021 06:27PM
İt is done Noog. İ am going to add photos to first post.
Date: May 06, 2021 07:06PM
Wow. (H).

And in only a few hours too. When you said you were a PS expert you weren't kidding were you? You have a really awesome style too.

So what do you want to look at next? If you have Slimtex, you might like to investigate the cars.wad file (where you'll find helmets and car skins etc) or the track.wad file for one of the circuits you are using (where you'll find the track GFX and pitcrews/pitprops etc).

Car and track graphics can be a little more of a technical challenge in some ways, but I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work. Very impressive stuff. Well done.
Date: May 06, 2021 08:13PM
Mate, thanks again for your support and kind words to me. i tried but lost. i open car wad. insert it Lotus E21_Excalibur car and tex files. with team editor i apply them in game.exe. but in game, lotus cars are white with no texture. i dont know why and i dont understand. my english not enough for understand detais too. car shapes not important for me. 2001 car shapes are ok, but i want to change textures. who dont want Senna's white red McLaren or black golden Lotus? ; )

edit- İ solved problem for Mclaren. Now it is red white! and Ouch, at steering wheel cam car still arrows orange.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2021 10:39PM by asdqweyuk.
Date: May 06, 2021 10:26PM
"Car and track graphics can be more of a technical challenge..." I did try to warn you.

No problem. White cars are a VERY common issue and there are several reasons why they can appear, but fortunately, it's a fairly easy thing to fix, most of the time.

Basically, a white car means the game has looked for a graphic (a tex file) to fit onto the car model and it either can't find it, or it can't use it, so you're seeing the naked model.

:-o

To begin to fix the problem you need to answer these questions:

1. Did you insert a completely new graphic (with a new name) or did you edit/update an existing graphic (ie name of the tex file is still the same as it was)?

a) If you updated an existing graphic ( and converted it back to a tex file), did the original graphics work OK on the car before you changed it?

If YES, is it possible you also changed something in Team Editor (like changing the setting for the 'Use best carshapes' option* for instance) or in the game set up menus, ie OPTIONS, GRAPHICS, ADVANCED. Normally detail settings in there will be set to high, but if you haven't changed them since the game worked OK you don't need to worry about it for now.

If NO, ie the car model was always white, even before you edited the skin tex, we need to look at a number of things, but this thread in the FAQ might help you fix it.

b) If you used a new graphic with a new name, then you need to tell the car model to use it, ie it's still looking for the old one.

(When you're starting out, it's less work to edit an existing graphic and keep the name when you can - but a modding 'pro', [ie NOT me], would usually change the tex name to something more accurate.)

If you think is what happened, here's an very brief intro to what you need to know about car models:

Car models are the car_[constructor name]_car1(&2)_lod_0.gp4 files. There are two per team (car1 and car2).

You might have just one of these lod files for each car, ending in lod0.gp4, OR five for each car , ending 0,1,2,3,4.gp4. You might even have one ending in 3.5.lod too but you can ignore that.

The lower lods, 1,2,3,4 are less detailed models, to be used when the model is far away from you on screen (to reduce CPU processing time). Not all mods or car models have these lower lods, because it's less work not to make them - but if you do have the lower lods, you'll need to update these too, or your car turn white as it moves into the distance.

* Team Editor's 'use best carshapes' option I mentioned above, is used to make the game use only the best quality lod0 model, even when the lower lods exist.

Anyway, to edit a car model so that it looks for the correct tex file (or to check that it is looking for the right one), then you'll first need to get yourself a copy of GPBuilder 2017b.

Remember though, you will ONLY need do anything to the car model if you changed the name of the skin tex. Editing models is more of an advanced skill that you can learn about later. GP4 has lots of hurdles to overcome, so it's best to tackle things one at a time as they arise (and they will!)

Ok, I've given you a few leads to chase up. I'm going to stop here for now and await your answers to the q's above, then hopefully we will be able to see what to do next.
Date: May 06, 2021 10:33PM
Ah you beat me to it.

OK, for the McLaren cockpit view, take a look at the cp_mclaren.tex file.

It's a slightly odd thing, but the cockpit view texs are not painted on to the car models and they are always a stand alone tex file like that one.

(The actual model for the cockpit is usually called cockpit.gp4 - it is not part of the car model as such)
Date: May 06, 2021 10:47PM
i am reading your previous white car error teaching and thank you a lot. you give your time for me and now, i am better undertand it now. other hand i found another mclaren cp_mclaren_tex and paste it on this one. at least front hood red now. = )

i will let you know when all car textures modified if i can.
Date: May 06, 2021 11:34PM
Let me see: that's one performance file, 17 loading screens, 22 driver pics, a car livery and a cockpit livery all in one day - and you've only been looking at the game for a week!

By any standard (and especially mine), that is pretty impressive.

So, just to give you something else to consider, are you using the latest GPxPatch 4.52?

If you are, you might like to know that you can click on the GPxSet tab and you'll see a MULTI button. Click that and you will be able to set a different performance file, (ie what you created and uploaded to the game in Team Editor), but for each RACE, rather than using the same PF for the whole season.

Editing performance with Team Editor is OK, but there are several extra features you can use in a PF that TE doesn't support - plus if you use a stand alone PF you don't have to keep writing into the game EXE.

Some mods only use one PF (like you're doing now), but for me, race specific PFs really help bring the game to life.

If that sounds interesting we can talk more about what you can do with PFs some other time.

Cheers.
Date: May 07, 2021 12:09AM
ah, i am pleasure man and hard worker. i am focusing it because i wanna finish it quickly and enjoy with it between my photography works.

and i think i understand what you teaching me: every circuit, every team and drivers performance will be different. but it is legend mode and there is no real datas which one will better in per circuit and deciding is hard, isnt it? other hand i need ask this question. in teameditor, there is Variety Point for dirvers and failure % rate for teams. arent they randomizing performances?
Date: May 07, 2021 01:14AM
asdqweyuk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... i think i understand what you teaching me:
> every circuit, every team and drivers performance
> will be different.

Correct.

> but it is legend mode and there
> is no real datas which one will better in per
> circuit and deciding is hard, isnt it?

Well yes, but you could give each driver a different profile using various criteria, so some drivers might improve as the season went on, while others might start well and fade (like bell curves, front-loaded, end-loaded and other profiles in MS Project if you're familiar with it). You could think of other ways to differentiate them in particular races too, while still making them meet your original expectations over the whole season. It would help make races seem more unpredictable and exciting (I'm a spreadsheet kind of guy, so I like to play with these type of ideas).

> i need ask this question. in teameditor, there is
> Variety Point for dirvers and failure % rate for
> teams. arent they randomizing performances?

As I understand it, a variance figure of, say, 500, means that a driver with a 'grip' value of 16000, will actually have a potential grip of between 16000 and 16500 in a given race. In other words it's a random number added by the game.

In my spreadsheets, I work out the variance for each driver, divide it by 2 and subtract it from the grip I would otherwise have given them based on the real world data. If you don't do this, the drivers with the high variance will do slightly better than you expected over time (you can usually see it in the results over two or three seasons).

The failure rate works differently.
In a 100% race, a failure rate of 16384 will (in theory) usually result in every car having a failure. In a 50% race, a value of 32768 will do the same. Similarly, a failure rate of 8192 in a 100% race should mean that 50% of the cars suffer a failure.

EDIT: I didn't say that very clearly. What I meant is that a car in a 100% race with a failure rate of 16384 is almost certain to have a failure. (It's not quite guaranteed, probably because of hidden random factors in the game we can't control), whereas if his failure rate is 8192 he will get a failure in about 50% of his races and only 25% of the time if his failure rate is 4096.

I use a formula to work failure rates out for me based on the real world data, which looks at the number of races a driver starts and the number he finishes, then I use a modifier to account for the fact that whereas all failure in the real world stats are terminal, i.e the car retired from the race, some failures in GP4 are recoverable.

It's your mod, but bottom line is, I would say your failure rates are a little low for a 100% race. I would expect to see a range between about 4000-11000 (depending on the mod year - I tend to race older F1 cars where failures were more common than today). Then again, if you don't like failures, you can set them all to 0 if you wish.

Finally, one of the great things you can do in a standalone PF that you can't do in TE is assign a different 'power' setting for each CAR, rather than a single one for the team. I like to use this (and some of the other things you can do in a PF) to create the illusion of a 'personality' for each driver.

Again, not being critical, but I wouldn't make the Q & R settings the same like you have done. The races will be more exciting, with more overtaking if you give some cars an advantage in qualifying and others an advantage in the race. If you balance it all out over a season your overall championship will look pretty much the same, but the individual races will be more interesting. That's what I've found anyway.

Hope that's informative.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 01:37AM by Noog.
Date: May 07, 2021 01:34AM
man man man... i am pleasure man, not spreadsheets man. i am visual but not mathematical person. : ) i said that you, i want to play this game and mod between my work breaks. it is why i am playing game %10 race, only 7 lap. = ) yesterday, at hockenheim, i watched with shock that all ai drivers out of fuel at 6th lap. : ) and i am in black thoughts about how i will correct it with my none math skills. but here you are Noog. you motivated me and give your time for teaching me, and i am now very close to finish all liveries. i put to Porsche to texture of beautiful Bar lucky strike liveries. looking amazing now. after finishing it, i will trying put helmets. (but i have no idea helmet position settings)

but i understand that your logic about competetive season, it seems exciting, but you are expert.

than, when i will finish this works i can send the my GP4 folder to you. and maybe you will be create that performance files for legends?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 01:38AM by asdqweyuk.
Date: May 07, 2021 02:00AM
"man man man... i am pleasure man, not spreadsheets man. i am visual but not mathematical person."

I understand.

"when i will finish this works i can send the my GP4 folder to you. and maybe you will be create that performance files for legends?"

Of course. It would be a pleasure for me.

"yesterday, at hockenheim, i was watch with schock that all ai driver out of fuel at 6th lap"

OK. This touches on another big topic called magic data files (MDs). It's where the pitstops are stored (among many other things). Hard to explain in a few lines, but very quick to resolve if you send me the .DAT for the Hockenheim track. I'll fix it and then I'll explain to you how it's done OK? You can upload it here without registering.

"i am now very close to finish all liveries"

Are you really human? How can you be doing all this so quickly? Quite amazing. All I've done today is write to you!

It's been enjoyable though - and you're more than welcome.
Date: May 07, 2021 03:36AM
Noog my friend.

after all your help, legends are on road now! i added to photo to first posts end. (and i understand that what it means low resulution texture when see lotus in photo = )

i will begin to helmets tomarrow and when finished them too, i will send all files your test and touchings.

thanks for all teachings.

edit: i solved Lotus problem and it is looking amazing now. Hega's Lotus E22, breath cutting! now i am finally going to sleeping.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 04:07AM by asdqweyuk.
Date: May 07, 2021 11:31AM
Sleeping? But you still have work to do!

Just kidding. I think you've earned it. The field looks great.

Feel free to send whatever you would like me to update. I'm busy on another project until Sunday, but the pitstops will be revised in a couple of hours once you send me the track dats.

(I'm assuming you will want them set up for 100% races. If not, let me know what race distance you normally use because it affects the settings OK.)

PFs will probably take a couple of days (because I'll have to create some fake real world data to plug into my spreadsheet model to create the different driver profiles I mentioned last night).

If you have any thoughts on which drivers or teams you'd like to see with a particular profile, let me know. For example, for me, I always saw Prost (and even Hill), as very careful and consistent drivers, but not necessarily exciting, whereas Senna (and Villeneuve on a good day) would seem more exciting, but a bit more likely to make a mistake and retire. Similarly, a team like Williams tended to have a fairly consistent performance over a season (most of the time), whereas a team like Ferrari were generally less predictable.

My perspective is shaped by my favourite era of F1 (80s & 90s) and I know nothing of the drivers or teams beyond the mid-2000s, but you have a think about what kind of behaviour you'd like to see and I'll do my best to make it happen.

One last thing. You know you can edit the game menu background pics don't you? I can't do it, but I can tell you how it's done if you want to put some more of your lovely artwork in there.
Date: May 07, 2021 12:33PM
Are you sure i have hard work to do? Nope, it is you. Because i want to PF'files for Race%10 and %25 for me, %100 for you, %50 for people. : P but if it hard too do 4 variant, i want %10 for me, %100 for you.

about driver driver characteristic and profiles, [www.statsf1.com] is my right hand. let think together.

wins by different curcuits maybe be help us: [www.statsf1.com] hamilton win 29 different circuits but other champion Hunt only 8.

here is circuits stats: [www.statsf1.com] hamilton has 8 wins hungaroring, but at montreal schumacher is king 7. but with this kind think hamilton and schumacher will dominating everywhere. to block it, deny them about next circuit. example give Spa to Senna with 5 win, Silverstone to Prost, Suzuka to Vettel, Hockenheim to Piquet, İstanbul to massa, Monza to Barichello, Sakhir to Alonso. just idea, we are thinking together.

oh here is circuit stats: amazing. example interlagos: [www.statsf1.com]

here is one interesting stat to: Consecutive retirement! [www.statsf1.com] it seems Villeneuve and Lauda are racing with Grosjean = )

what about Consecutively finished? [www.statsf1.com] raikkonen has 30 finish without retirement. etc.

one georgeous stat here about qualifyngs: [www.statsf1.com] here is why Senna is shining. average position of grid is 3.15.

my final idea, after all pf settings, Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton must be favourite champions, prost, lauda, vettel, mansell no surprise champions, all others surprised champions. every driver can be champion but %49 first group, %30 second group, %21 third group. i know we cant calcuate it, but it maybe target for exciting seasons.

i am going to breakfast mate. there is a lot of different stats, check them, and tell me your opinions pls.

Oh about mainmenu, i am going to look gpibrowser now.

after gpibrowser, i saw grid cars, and couple minutes later all them will be ready. and i forget say that, i change Sauber to Jaguar. because i prefer jaguars green livery than saubers blue. it is about photoshopper obsessions : (

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 01:53PM by asdqweyuk.
Date: May 07, 2021 04:27PM
"i want to PF'files for Race%10 and %25 for me, %100 for you, %50 for people."

OK. Once the fake data is created, it takes only about five more minutes to create a set of PFs for any race length (which has to be done because failure rates need to be adjusted).

However, to create several sets of MDs to correct the pitstop behaviour for various race lengths, is actually a bit of a pain; not only for me, but also for the user who would have to update each track with their preferred race length when they downloaded the mod.

That said, for me, 15% races are the longest I ever do. Any more and I need to have a sleep mid-race! More importantly though, I'm told that failure rates don't work properly for races under 20% (SDI, the creator of GPxPatch says it's a limitation in the game code). I've never really tested this (and I find failures in my 15% races work as I expect them to), but you might find the cars are a bit more reliable in the 10% races than the 25% ones.

As for "50% for people", I have to advise you to be sure to ask for permissions from any original authors who's work you might have used before releasing your mod to the 'people' or you might find one or two individuals get upset. Most members will be happy to see a new mod of course, but it's a common courtesy to make sure no-one objects before you make it public.

Related to that, my PFs will work best when they are calibrated against the tracks properly (which contain the 'magic' data, which in turn determines the pitstop behaviour), so if you intend to put the tracks (or even just the track.DATs) into the mod you'll need to ask permission for those too.

There is a forum policy on all this, but I don't know where it is right now. Best if you speak to mortal (site owner and chief moderator) about it first before you make anything public. For the record, any contributions I might make to this or any other mod are given freely and no-one ever has to ask me permission for anything.

About the driver profiles, I definitely have a few comments I'd like to make, but not in this particular post. Might be a conversation best had in private with PMs. (I'm sure it would be quite boring for everyone else and there are some good things earlier in this thread that I might want to refer to at a later date!)

I'll have think about it once I've completed other project I'm involved with on Sunday. What I will say though, is I think just focusing on the raw stats (ie the science), could be very misleading. You need to bring some art into it too. For example, Hamilton might have won on 29 circuits compared to Hunt's 8; but how many circuits did Hunt actually race in his much shorter F1 career? Also, what role did mechanical reliability and/or the coherence of the pitcrew or the team management and/or team budgets play in their relative success? Things like that. The raw data misses all this completely - and that's why there are some drivers I admire who never made it into anyone's top 100 list*. Make sense?

(* Who would that be? Well Stefan Beloff for one, but I could think of quite a few others).

Finally, gridcars (teamart). The defaults are OK (200x49px) but this post shows how they can be improved and although it's pretty complex it might interest you.

PS: Menu pics are stored in .BIK video format in GP4/MenuData/PC/GP2001/Videos/. To edit them you need this to convert them to something like an mp4 and then convert them back again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 04:29PM by Noog.
Date: May 07, 2021 07:16PM
about permissions.

at this mod, i dont create anything except few images. i collect all things from net, but there was too many things, images, car packs, mods etc, and know idont remember which one is from where. because you know that,i did it for my pleasure, not for public. i can give all my files to you or another person who will search which part is whose and ask permission from them. i dont want any credit to me, all i want just play this great mod, and i thank to all creators who gives huge values to this beautiful game. because of this, i will not publish this mod on public now.

Other hand, about statistics and performances, here is my idea but idınt know how did it. you are expert about it:

İf i do F1 2020 mod, i want to realism, mercedes number one, red bull two, and williams cant be champion, never.

But it is legends mod. i want to close opponents and drama. i want feel all dangerous drivers around me, and my heart to beating. how? here is:

who will be champion end of season? i will try to explain with my bad math : )

skill point= driver skill + engine power
season average skill point of Senna= (suzuka skill point + interlagos skill point + silverstone skill point+..........+spa skill point)/17

whose season average skill point is best, he may be champion? nope.

season average skill point + his and cars "luck" on that season point= champion decider point.

there will be three kind luck: lucky season, unlucky season, notr season.

senna was best has average skill point but he was demorilized this season and car has too many problems... than his champiom decider point is get lower.

i think driver failure% and car variety about this "luck"

and it is important.. worst driver must have a chance to be champion. formula= best drivers "season average skill point must be < than worst drivers "season average skill point + Good Luck Point."

i havent got any idea it can be created in performance files.

i am going to look to helmets now. and about main menu, i will look jpg to bik to mp4 converters. (edit: Helmets on road now. (B))

thank you again for show way to me.

"That said, for me, 15% races are the longest I ever do. Any more and I need to have a sleep mid-race!" oh same here! %15 will be ok for me too.

and if it will be Race %15, here is question about failure rate: 100% there will be a failure if failure% is 24576?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2021 09:16PM by asdqweyuk.
Date: May 07, 2021 11:21PM
"about permissions.

i collect all things from net, but there was too many things, images, car packs, mods etc, and know idont remember which one is from where."

I understand completely. You'll find some things that don't even have the authors name to ask anyway, but I think it's more that certain emotionally-sensitive people want to see that you made an effort to get permissions. Most people aren't like that, but you know how it goes sometimes...

"i can give all my files to you or another person who will search which part is whose and ask permission from them."

Not me dude! That's for certain.

Listen, this is a rather delicate subject and I am torn between what I think as a living breathing man and my role as a fairly new moderator on this forum. I managed to outline both perspectives I'm forced to adopt in the previous post (and that was intentional) - but like I said, you'd be better off speaking to mortal to ask him what he would like you to do should you choose to make the mod public. He won't go looking for permissions for you either I'm sure, but if he were to OK your upload before you posted it here there's not much anyone can say about it.

I'm just covering your back my friend. I could say a lot more than that (as a man), but I think that's enough to make my point. That said, (as a moderator), I strongly suggest you speak to mortal.

"i dont want any credit to me, all i want just play this great mod, and i thank to all creators who gives huge values to this beautiful game. because of this, i will not publish this mod on public now."

Well yes, unfortunately that's what happens sometimes and it's a bit of a shame. But, hey, that's what PM buttons are for isn't it? And I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the forum policy about making a mod for your own use in any case - and if someone wanted to test the mod for you, they'd have to be given a copy of it, right?

Like I said, delicate issue - but it's not a mountain you can't overcome if needs be...

"Other hand, about statistics and performances, here is my idea but idınt know how did it. you are expert about it:"

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not really an expert, but I've learned a few things over the years and I'm always very happy to pass on what I know - especially to someone like you who immediately takes the info and does something creative something with it. You (and others like you) will always be the life blood of this community; not me.

"İf i do F1 2020 mod, i want to realism, mercedes number one, red bull two, and williams cant be champion, never."

Lol. You don't like Frank? Like most (but not all) of the teams you've chosen, Williams were pretty much unbeatable in their hey-day and 9 constructors' championships in 42 yrs is a record few constructors can match.

By the way, do you know you can 'split' a team, ie car1 is one team and car2 is another with a different livery? It's fairly complicated to write about, but it's something I do in most 70s-90s mods when there were lots of constructors entering the events.

"But it is legends mod. i want to close opponents and drama. i want feel all dangerous drivers around me, and my heart to beating".

Then we think as one on this.

"who will be champion end of season? i will try to explain with my bad math : )

skill point= driver skill + engine power
season average skill point of Senna= (suzuka skill point + interlagos skill point + silverstone skill point+..........+spa skill point)/17

whose season average skill point is best, he may be champion? nope.

season average skill point + his and cars "luck" on that season point= champion decider point.

there will be three kind luck: lucky season, unlucky season, notr season.

senna was best has average skill point but he was demorilized this season and car has too many problems... than his champiom decider point is get lower.

i think driver failure% and car variety about this "luck"

and it is important.. worst driver must have a chance to be champion. formula= best drivers "season average skill point must be < than worst drivers "season average skill point + Good Luck Point."

You're making good points (and demonstrating that you understood what I meant by the more esoteric [i.e 'arty'] aspects I mentioned earlier), but really there's only so much you can do within the game model and the PFs so you have to concentrate on what we CAN do, as well as what you'd like to achieve.

For example, things like Senna being an amazing qualifier is one of the things that I would like to be reflected in the mod if I was making it too; so if it were me I'd want to make it so that most of the time Senna will out-qualify Prost, but Prost will probably finish more races than Senna and they will have a roughly equal chance of winning the championship. Things like that are easy to implement.

'Luck' is more difficult. I like the idea too, but the problem is, how do you get the game to reflect that? I would suggest that the best way would be to make sure a "lucky" driver had a larger variance than the others. That way, he would be more likely to have a surprisingly good race now and again, while a driver with a low variance value, would perform much the same all the time (absent other variables). Alternatively, you could achieve the same effect by altering the failure rate, ie lucky drivers don't break down as much.

Skill points, or what I would call a talent rating, is also quite hard to emulate. What I do normally is I decide what stats the 'average' driver should have, then I would give more 'grip' to the drivers I thought were especially talented, but reduce their 'power' to compensate.

That way, all other things being equal, the talented driver would be seen to overtake more often under braking or cornering, while the average drive would be faster on the straights. Neither would be quicker, as such, but the guy with more grip will appear more exciting than the guy with the faster car.

You see now how spreadsheets can be very arty in their own way? ;-)

"i havent got any idea it can be created in performance files."

You stick with the beautiful artwork for now and I'll focus on the nuts and bolts to make it all play nice OK? You can't expect to master it all in a week (although you're doing pretty well so far). I've been messing with GP4 for years and I've still got a ton of stuff to learn about.

"i am going to look to helmets now. and about main menu, i will look jpg to bik to mp4 converters."

Sounds good.

"thank you again for show way to me."

No problem. You're a quick learner and it's fun for me trying to keep up with you!

"15% races... will be ok for me too."

OK. When you send me the track.DATs I will make sure cars don't run out of fuel - and while I'm there I'll set pitstops for 100% race, just in case you get a PM or two (;-)). Most people seem to like to do 100% races I think.

"if it will be Race %15, here is question about failure rate: 100% there will be a failure if failure% is 24576?"

Mathematically speaking 100% failure in a 15% race SHOULD be 109227 - but it isn't! See this post where SDI (who's the expert on all this) replies to me after I suggested this figure would be correct for a 15% race with 100% failure rate and he explains why 65535 is the maximum figure the game could ever handle.

Fortunately, we rarely use the maximum figure anyway because most cars don't fail all of the time, so it doesn't usually matter. That said, the second Ligier car in 1981 only finished one race all season, so to be precise it would have to be given a value of 100125 for the failure rate to be correct for 15% races, but the game would only treat it as 65535 in any case. Either way, it's not a car you would want to be driving and it won't be finishing many races!

We probably covered too many topics at once there, but I hope you can make some sense of it all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy