I'm dropping playing GP4 immediately because all this technical anger is destroying my health!

Posted by TGF1Driver2 
In my experience midrace saves don't necessarily save from CTDs, but cool stuff nonetheless.

Agree with the others, Norton is crap, get rid of it asap.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
All freezes I had in the past occured when tracks were assigned to wrong slots. Some tracks work in all slots while others will crash but all tracks work in slot one. With CSM/TSM it is very easy to assign the tracks to the correct slots and since I make it this way I have no more mid-race freezes.
SDI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I almost managed to get a quick and dirty
> quicksave to work. Problem is that the code is
> dependent on being called inside the menu's. So I
> have to temporarily patch the bits where it tries
> to show the save game dialog, the message to
> overwrite the file, and the message that it has
> been saved, and any error messages it may try to
> show (this would crash the game). It produces the
> right file now, but it still crashes when trying
> to exit the cockpit afterwards.

Good progress, anyway.
It would be a very useful feature!
Also with me the game crash time to time without any antivirus or other easy to understand reasons.
I have not crashed since I went back in time. That is now I'm using a "cars.wad" with cars of 2016 (with GpxPatch 4.44), which with slimtex I reduced to just over 300 Mb. Actually I did it because with a friend we play LAN with a cross cable. With the latest updates of the cars and textures in HD it is close to the Gb, and since the LAN connection is 1 Gb/s of data transfer, and the load was double (2 files cars and 2 track files in the data exchange) it happened that GP4 almost always crashed. You can imagine 15 laps from the end ... Horrible! In this way I solved, I have not lost in definition and even the loading of the race is much faster.
Well, it crashed with two different cars.wads for me already. I really hope that Rene can fix the game crashes soon, I know he's already working on it. (H) (Y)
I'm wondering why are some people crashing and others not?

I mean, yeah yeah Linux and all, but really, GP4 is almost rock solid for me, except on those very rare circuits where pressing Esc without pressing pause causes an issue.

Also, but even more rarely, sometimes on the track I begin losing some sounds and things start to get really clunky within 30secs or so before crashing soon after, but it usually gives enough notice for me to save and restart and that's only ever when I've been playing the same instance of the game for hours and hours.

The only time I ever had crashes that got annoyingly frequent was when I used to display the PO on screen. Never found out why, but when I gave up monitoring the PO, it went away.

Where is the commonality? Are all you crashing types using the same mods?
tamburello schrieb:
> All freezes I had in the past occured when tracks
> were assigned to wrong slots. Some tracks work in
> all slots while others will crash but all tracks
> work in slot one. With CSM/TSM it is very easy to
> assign the tracks to the correct slots and since I
> make it this way I have no more mid-race freezes.

Yes but the two tracks crashed were the original Sepang 2001 in Slot 2 and the original Hugaroring 2001 in Slot 13. They both never ever crashed before in ten years for me! And it was no freezing error without error log, it was both time a different crash. After I'm using nearly all not original 2001 tracks only in slot 1 I had never had a freezing error like you said again.
Let's keep it all positive on here, fellas. No help in folks dropping out.
I managed to get quicksave to work. Instead of calling the game's own save function I save the game myself, calling several functions within the game to determine the file type and file extension, construct the file header, the content, etc. I also found a big speed improvement by not compressing the file. It will be about 4 times as big that way, but you won't notice any delay when the save happens. I've also made an autosave function by saving at the start of each lap in a race (when the leader crosses the line). I'm overwriting the file on each save (though I first write to a temp file, then deleting the old file and then renaming the temp file), but each track and race type has its own file extension so you end up with 1 file for each track and race type combination. Autosave even works during accelerated time, but I'm not sure if that's what you want.

Let me know if there are specific options you wish to have.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 09:32PM by SDI.
That sounds incredible.
SDI schrieb:
> I managed to get quicksave to work. Instead of
> calling the game's own save function I save the
> game myself, calling several functions within the
> game to determine the file type and file
> extension, construct the file header, the content,
> etc. I also found a big speed improvement by not
> compressing the file. It will be about 4 times as
> big that way, but you won't notice any delay when
> the save happens. I've also made an autosave
> function by saving at the start of each lap in a
> race (when the leader crosses the line). I'm
> overwriting the file on each save (though I first
> write to a temp file, then deleting the old file
> and then renaming the temp file), but each track
> and race type has its own file extension so you
> end up with 1 file for each track and race type
> combination. Autosave even works during
> accelerated time, but I'm not sure if that's what
> you want.
>
> Let me know if there are specific options you wish
> to have.

Amazing work again! :-o :-O (Y) What would we do without you? ;)
TGF1Driver2 schrieb:
> tamburello schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All freezes I had in the past occured when
> tracks
> > were assigned to wrong slots. Some tracks work
> in
> > all slots while others will crash but all
> tracks
> > work in slot one. With CSM/TSM it is very easy
> to
> > assign the tracks to the correct slots and since
> I
> > make it this way I have no more mid-race
> freezes.
>
> Yes but the two tracks crashed were the original
> Sepang 2001 in Slot 2 and the original Hugaroring
> 2001 in Slot 13. They both never ever crashed
> before in ten years for me! And it was no freezing
> error without error log, it was both time a
> different crash. After I'm using nearly all not
> original 2001 tracks only in slot 1 I had never
> had a freezing error like you said again.

Ah, ok, I see. My bad, I thought this would be the typical freeze when tracks are used in wrong slots. (B)

@SDI: Excellent news, especially the quick save option via one button will be great (Y). However I would prefer when there are options to enable/disable "Auto-Save" and "Quick Save" in the GPxPatch Menu. ;-)
I'll add an option to enable/disable Autosave. But I'm not sure why you want to disable Quicksave, as you need to press a key to execute it.

Perfect, thanks René for adding the option for the autosave and regarding the quick save, you're correct, it makes obviously no sense to add a function to enable/disable it when it is executed by pressing a specific key.

Cheers (B)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 05:11PM by tamburello.
Would F12 be a good default key for quicksave?

SDI Wrote:
> Would F12 be a good default key for quicksave?

Sounds good to me.
F11 is for ingame screenshots, isn't it? And F12 for quicksave, perfect! (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)
Yes. Of course you can always change it to a different key if needed.
I noticed that I already had F12 assigned to wireframe mode in GP3. I don't think that was useful in any way, so I've removed that feature.

Just a last question, autosave will be always enabled at every race and every lap? Will it be saved ingame where the races could be saved as always or will it be outside the game saved into a special folder in the GP4 main directory?

And well, another little question, is the release of this wonderful feature 2018 or 2019? ;-) ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy