Megapatch helmets and Fantasy Cars

Posted by Hal 
Megapatch helmets and Fantasy Cars
Date: June 20, 2003 06:47AM
Posted by: Hal
Hi,

Haven't been in the forum for a while but since the last visit I installed Megapatch 2003 for the simple reason that the other 2003 update I tried (81MB wad file) was too much for my poor old Duron 1.3. Straight away with the megapatch I didn't like the Ferrari and the Williams much, and the McLaren was corrupted, so I replaced the first two with medium resolution Viper cars, and after figuring out GP4Master I used it to take the McLaren from the 2003 update v1.2 (81mb patch) and put it into my car set. Great. Trouble is, the megapatch helmets are lit up in the tunnel at Monaco! I tried replacing them with the helmet textures from the big 2003 update, but that didn't cure the problem. It's really annoying, because in every other respect but one my 2003 cars are working great, and aren't slowing the game down at all. The other problem - that one other respect - is the damn megapatch fantasy team. How might I replace those white cars with, say, some 2002 arrows?

Any help with these problems would be hugely appreciated, because if I can sort them I'll finally have the 2003 season I've been looking for but could never find elsewhere.

Haljazz
Re: Megapatch helmets and Fantasy Cars
Date: June 20, 2003 07:00AM
Posted by: matti
Hi,

If you are comfortable using GP4master, you can download my Bentley Speed 10 here. It replaces the Arrows with a new carshape, textures, 2 helmets, menu art, and grid car with logo. Each component can be loaded separately so you can just load the carshape with textures if you want.

Enjoy
Date: June 20, 2003 07:47AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

or my holden :)

Date: June 20, 2003 08:21AM
Posted by: shutt1e
i'm sorry but the nocar in megapatch uses the prost carshape
the arrows was used for the toyota
if you want replace both nocar your files must be named
car_prost_car_1_lod0.gp4 and so on

again,as i'm the author of the cars.wad of the megapatch, it's not difficult insert the best available cars in a cars.was, the hardest thing is obtain the authorization from the authors.

byez
Date: June 20, 2003 08:23AM
Posted by: Timzaghi
I have the same problem, in every dark place, shadows and stuff, I have an extra light on my car (the helmet:-() Can be the alpha channels, I don't have the time to fix it now...

Date: June 20, 2003 08:29AM

your .tex file is probably corrupt Timzaghi. try save it using a .tex file you know is working properly

Date: June 20, 2003 05:41PM
You can very quickly change any carshape to work in a different lod using an HEX Editor. There is a very good tutorial by Max Downforce at GPxcarpainting.

Korn, I love your Holden.
Date: June 20, 2003 07:00PM
Well, there's a lot of technical information thrown my way. As to GP4Master, I've just started using it - what I've achieved so far are the results of my first experiments with it. LOD for instance (matti) - is that to do with the car's location in the grid slots? I'll look into that tutorial. Alpha channels? Once again - that's right over my head at the moment - but I'll experiment if I can find the appropriate info. Good tutorials are what I need - I'll soon take the info on board. As far as authors' permission is concerned, while my car set is intended for nothing other than personal use, I can appreciate the limitations that publishing rights or lack of them imply on the creators of season packages. This is the very reason I find I have to take a little bit from here, and a little bit from there... Knowledge is power, and it's clear that the first thing I need to do is understand the terminologies before I go moving cars from slot to slot and assigning textures to carshapes.

Haljazz
Date: June 20, 2003 10:13PM
Hi Hal,

I really recommend the site:

[racing-leagues.com]

The folks over there give some really great advice, plus there are some terrific tutorials available.

I think the best thing you can do is learn how the car shapes(example, car_mclaren_car1_lod_0.gp4) work with the texture files in GP4. Also how the tex files are comprised of downsampled or un-downsampled TGA files that contain an ALPHA channel. I think once you begin to learn how the car-lod work towards getting the proper texture for the car in game things begin to make alot of sense.
Date: June 20, 2003 10:23PM

Matti

Thanks dude, your bently is awsome :) im going to release a newer version of my car, as soon as erix releases the update for his bar shape. so hopefully that will be soon!!

Date: June 21, 2003 03:02AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Nice Holden except the Logo(symbol) needs adjusting, needs to be more like the real one - looks squised up ;)

Date: June 21, 2003 09:04AM
Posted by: nicol@cciarri
I said, some weeks ago, that the first version of helmets had a bug, that was quicklyfixed in a second version, that You can download in this site.
The bug was brightness under shadow...now ther is no bug in the later version.
On the other hand, consider that the majority of textures for helmets ( especially tex 1), have no a correct alfa channel, and commonly they appear too bright..but this is another discussion.

nicol@cciarri
Date: June 21, 2003 09:32AM
Nice Holden except the Logo(symbol) needs adjusting, needs to be more like the real one - looks squised up

if you are refering to the logo behind the drivers head, its the carshape that does that... i think i have moved it since i took that pic in my sig...

Date: June 21, 2003 06:33PM
Thanks folks - especially matti - your advice is really appreciated. That's what I want to do - get to grips with the concepts - because when you just follow steps 'parrot fashion' you're not really learning as you go. I will check those tutorials out - thanks again. I would hope that if I become adept at these techniques I might be able to help other folks out in the future.

nicol@cciarri: I assume you're talking about an update to the gpx.it 2003 megapatch, as opposed to an update available from grandprix3.com? If it ain't too big, I'll go and download it, otherwise I'll have to sweet-talk some broadband friends into it...

Haljazz
Date: June 21, 2003 07:02PM
nicol@cciarri: forget what I just said. Just got the hans updated helmets from this site and they cured the problem perfectly. Excellent. Thank you very much. Things are nearly spot-on now. Still gonna follow those links and understand the concepts - will be good knowledge for next time and will hopefully help to sort out the white cars.

Thanks again for the help so far - it's only easy when you know where to look!

Haljazz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy