SEBRING (WIP)

Posted by huskyman49 
Re: SEBRING (WIP)
Date: October 18, 2020 09:30AM
Posted by: huskyman49
Once again I found a Sebring track on gtplanet.net (where modders are building and converting tracks like wild - even go kart tracks... unfortunately not for GP4 hot ;)).
So like the roman politician Cato repeatedly stated:'ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!' ('although I think that Carthago must be deleted!';) I confirm my desire for that Sebring track.
When I shared my dat-file more than two years ago it seemed to be downloaded 272 times (if I can trust the number documented in mediafire) but none of the trackbuilders showed any interest worth mentioning...

Besides creating the dat-file I then converted some Sebring stuff like buildings etc. but eventually I failed with the next steps (despite studying Paulos great track building tutorial).
So I ask again: Is someone out there who would like to make the Sebring track? I would assist in any way I can... even sacrifice my car converting business for a while... :-)
Date: October 18, 2020 11:04PM
I mean it's a shame: We have this wonderful IMSA-mod Ariel (Meteoro405) made some months ago plus a historic one I contributed to the game but we still cannot race them on legendary tracks like Daytona and Sebring because they don't exist in GP4 although we have a bunch of other US-tracks...
Date: October 19, 2020 12:03PM
Posted by: fongu
I'd love to help, but I have zero expertise in track modding sadly. It would be nice to have some objects added to atticus's great DATs

Date: October 20, 2020 11:58AM
Oh yes - I think he even made Macau...! That would also be a great track to race on it (Y)
Date: October 21, 2020 12:20AM
Posted by: TGF1Driver2
huskyman49 schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once again I found a Sebring track on gtplanet.net
> (where modders are building and converting tracks
> like wild - even go kart tracks... unfortunately
> not for GP4 hot ;)).
> So like the roman politician Cato repeatedly
> stated:'ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!'
> ('although I think that Carthago must be
> deleted!';) I confirm my desire for that Sebring
> track.
> When I shared my dat-file more than two years ago
> it seemed to be downloaded 272 times (if I can
> trust the number documented in mediafire) but none
> of the trackbuilders showed any interest worth
> mentioning...
>
> Besides creating the dat-file I then converted
> some Sebring stuff like buildings etc. but
> eventually I failed with the next steps (despite
> studying Paulos great track building tutorial).
> So I ask again: Is someone out there who would
> like to make the Sebring track? I would assist in
> any way I can... even sacrifice my car converting
> business for a while... :-)

I would really like to help you, I even tried to create a GP4 track building team some month ago, but now everything has changed. My slow computer is nearly before breaking down and it's nearly impossible to work properly on things with that. I'll get a new pc in early 2021, but I'm not sure if I will install GP4 then immediately with all the stuff (tracks, cars, mods) I have collected over the years. I have to look first what future will bring. In these days I already cancel other handcraft projects in favour of doing energetics and chasing my dreams of the last years. ;) (Y)

Maybe I'll find a way to find enough time for making track maps as a base for the dat-files in 2021, but that's not sure yet. I wish you all the best for your own track building project, Karl! :-) (H)
Date: October 28, 2020 12:59AM
TGF1Driver2: Thank you for your good will and encouragement!

Question to all track builders: Has anyone of you ever converted a track from Assetto Corsa to GP4?
If yes I would be grateful for some assistance how to do, since I have downloaded this Sebring material recently - I would do the work as far as I understand the instructions ;-)
I mean I have this old tutorial (2005) 'How to build your favorite track in 60 minutes' from Dave Hagenaar (I don't know if he's still in the game...) but I do understand only half of the explanations :-o:(

Btw.: I wonder why nobody except jimbob1 seems to be interested in the Sebring track - I really would not mind if nobody was greedy for my car conversions :-) I share more or less frequently but that we have to miss such an iconic track like Sebring in GP4 is a little surprising to me...
Date: October 28, 2020 02:46PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
Dear Karl, I would love to be able to use that track!
But I know that it is a huge job that requires a lot of effort (even more so for those who have limited knowledge and time like me).
You cannot "convert" a track from Assetto Corsa, you can only export objects and import them into GP4 (as long as GP4 supports it) just like you would with cars. The rest of the track (dat, etc) must be done from 0. I don't remember having tried the dat (is it playable?) Only the graphical environment is missing ?.
If so, maybe (maybe) we could get someone to make the mesh, and other players take care of importing from other platforms (rfactor, GTR, AC), all the necessary objects.
I can help with buildings and objects, if the dat is playable.
I have Rouen 1972 at 30% and I don't have time to continue it ...

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
Date: October 28, 2020 03:03PM
Posted by: 32BOBO32
Meteoro405 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I can help with buildings and objects, if the dat
> is playable.
>

Yes that's the point. I'll have a try later with AC track

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: October 28, 2020 05:33PM
Hi Karl,
I did a quick test this evening tring to import objects from AC Sebring track and the results are not good...
AC tracks use a very insane number of faces when GP4 tracks support a maximum of 400k. The following screenshot shows the faces amount used for a really small numbers of objects imported sucessfully in GP4Builder

It is true that track and in general tarmac objects are useless and will be generated from dat file, but a whole amount of usefull objects have really an insane number of faces.

All the objects included in these screenshots uses more or less 70K faces (close to 20% of the maximum amount for a gp4 track).

Honestly I think that AC track version is not the correct one to be used for this purpose...

Is another sebring version available? (rF, GTR 1/2?)

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: October 28, 2020 06:16PM
Thank you so much, Ariel and Samuele!
I'm not too surprised by the result of your analysis because I had a faint idea of it when I checked the AC material...
So I will search for other Sebring tracks to convert from other games as proposed by Samuele and check the pile of faces they include before...
I'll let you know as soon as I have found what I'm looking for.
Hopefully we can get a feasible solution and base for that missing track.
Always thankful for every kind of help and support from the masters of track building (Y)

Meanwhile best wishes to Buenos Aires and Italy
Karl
Date: October 28, 2020 06:33PM
Posted by: Excalibur
[www.simroad.com] (RF2 - 2015)
[www.rfactorcentral.com] (RF - 2006)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 06:34PM by Excalibur.
Date: October 28, 2020 07:40PM
merci beaucoup! :-)
Date: October 28, 2020 11:47PM
Thanks Excalibur for links.

I was able to "convert" RF - 2006 version but there is a serious problem when exporting object to 3ds format: all objects faces are grouped in 1 single part and so when you import back to GP4Builder they loose all textures reference keeping in safe only 1.

You have to select the single faces you know that will use the same texture and group them in a new part

After that you can proceed assigning the correct texture to the new part

Unfortunatelly this method requires a huge quantity of time and work.

We need to find a way to export object from 3dsim preserving objects parts segregation (and consequently textures assignement) otherwise it will be really hard to use other platform tracks as reference for GP4 (Only TRD2 & 3 at the moment seems to be friendly with that)

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: October 29, 2020 06:51AM
Posted by: tojepo
My method :

1) Open the track in 3Dsim
2) In 3Dsim : Export all the textures in a new Folder
3) In 3Dsim : Open Textures Browser -> Batch Conversion -> Chose all the textures and convert them in TGA format in another Folder
4) Copy all GMT files with TGA textures
5) In 3Dsim : Import as objets -> Open All GMT files (those who are with TGA) and Save as rFactor .GMT / Save Objets (this overwrites the GTM files with the TGA format for textures)
6) In Zmodeler2 : Import all GMT Files and Export them in "Old Z3d Format"
7) In Zmodeler1 : Open the Z3d File and Convert in GP4 format
8) In GP4Builder : Open the GP4 file >> WAIT !! and finally All GP4 files have the good texture :-)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cl323fcwf2i61/GP4_Files';] >>> My Other Tracks for GP4 <<<[/url]
Date: October 29, 2020 08:23AM
Great! So the old method for TRD3 tracks works again! I'll a try later . TY!

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: October 29, 2020 10:35AM
Posted by: fongu
brilliantly simple tutorial :)

Date: October 29, 2020 10:53AM
Here we go! Greetings from Sebring :)

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: October 29, 2020 11:15AM
Samuele, sei il migliore (Y)(Y)(Y)
Date: October 29, 2020 11:28AM

That's what I'm doing right now... But as a track building novice I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, so please tell me or correct me :-O
Date: October 29, 2020 12:40PM
Posted by: Zacio Geribello
Following this thread with great interest :) Giving my first looks to the matter, maybe one day I can offer you the supertracks in a self-made construction with a little help. I've downloaded the tutorial and I began watching Paulo's video on Youtube, and there are posts here... :)

[www.youtube.com]

Horacio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy