GP4 in LAN - Engine sound

Posted by mralpha 
GP4 in LAN - Engine sound
Date: July 09, 2018 09:49AM
Posted by: mralpha
Have you ever tried a LAN race with GP4? It is a formidable experience. Face to face. Requirements: Two performing PCs, a "cross" cable, identical GP4 for both of them, a trusted and passionate friend, available time (at night), a few cans of beer.
Often on the LAN it happens that GP4 crashes and is not nice especially when there are only a few laps to go. My opinion is that this is due, lately, to files cars.wad too heavy (almost 1 Gb). Considering that in LAN the data transmission is 1 Gb/s, it becomes difficult for the network to manage the graphics of two GP4 and two heavy files cars at the same time (this is my theory).
So I installed again GP4 according to the usual procedure, with the GPxPatch 4.44 and I added a "cars.wad" file with the cars of 2011 which weighs only about 300 Mb. The graphics are excellent set 1280x1024 at 60 fps.
We tested it and everything went well (on A1-Ring). The problem is that the sound of my friend's car engine came and went. Regular volume at idle (in curve), very low volume at maximum and acceleration (in straight line). I have done other tests and settings, but nothing has changed. It will be twenty years that we play so it's never happened to me. With other LAN games (MotoGP) the audio is perfect. What do you think depends on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 09:51AM by mralpha.
Re: GP4 in LAN - Engine sound
Date: July 11, 2018 01:48AM
Posted by: AustinF1
Interested in the replies to this, myself.
Re: GP4 in LAN - Engine sound
Date: July 11, 2018 08:53AM
Posted by: mralpha
Sorry, I did not write. I solved.
A PC has "2D hardware acelleration" sound settings, and the other "3D + EAX effects". Everything works perfectly.
Strange because it had never happened to me and I have been playing LAN for at least 15 years.
As for the LAN, I heard influential friends in the MOD field, and they confirmed what I thought. in fact, to make the LAN work well, the file cars should not be more than 200 Mb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy