GP4 on keyboard

Posted by slowie 
GP4 on keyboard
Date: April 14, 2018 12:17AM
Posted by: slowie
Hello there!

So, I was deeply devoted to GP2, for me it was absolutely ultimate F1 simulation, and thanx to the GP2 community I kept playing it for a really long time.
Now I wanted to try the last Crammond's GP series - GP4, and I am quite dissapointed - not about the graphics or simulation, but about the controling the game over keyboard - I am keyboard user and I intend to stay that, so here's the question:

I am having huge problems handling the car in wet conditions. Does that mean that keyboard days are over for this game? If not, I'd be very greatful if someone gave me some directions about setting the car for better handling (especially the braking part). I know there is lots of mods and patches, but I am not familiar with them and I woulnd't even know what to look for in such a big database, so I would as well appreciate helping me to choose the essential ones... Right now I'm running a game that I downloaded from gp4central website (Grand Prix 4 v1.02 (patched) (inc. GPxPatch v4.44)).

So much for now. I hope someone answers my questions. Take care and keep up the good work!

p.s: oh yeah, and why does the mechanic keep sending me back to the pit stop after the first lap - even in free practice?
Re: GP4 on keyboard
Date: April 14, 2018 06:55AM
Posted by: tamburello
Hello slowie,

I'm also playing since a couple of years only with keyboard and found out that the most problems in wet conditions setting a competitive time are coming from the "Bumptable" in the Magic Data files. You can try to find a good setup which takes in some cases hours to complete or (if you want to do it the quick way) modify the section in the Magic Data of the track as below:

[BUMPTABLE]
Val1=0,0

For the break balance in general, try to give the front of the car more and use stabilisators. In the real F1 they use/used (especially before parc ferme was introduced) a very soft setup-up on the cars in rain conditions, that means softer settings on the dumpers, axes etc.

I hope this helps so far.

Greetings
Re: GP4 on keyboard
Date: April 16, 2018 05:27PM
Posted by: slowie
Tamburello, thanks for your response.

I'm not quite clear about what you meant with "Magic Data" files, but I will definately give it a go with going deeper into advanced settings of the car - springs, height, dampers, ... I've never tried changing them in GP2, so I suppose now I have to get familiar with those. :)

Thanks again and take care.

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy