FIA Grants Exclusive F1 License to Sony

Posted by nlauda 
FIA Grants Exclusive F1 License to Sony
Date: June 16, 2003 05:03PM
Posted by: nlauda
I saw this over at simracingworld, not so good for GP5:

The FIA has granted an exclusive FIA Formula One license to Sony for the next four years; which in effect practically rules out any decent PC game based on the 2003-2007 F1 Seasons by the likes of Microprose/Simergy and EA.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is pleased to announce the continuation of the multi-million selling Formula One series. The only game to be officially licensed by Formula One Administration Ltd, FORMULA ONE 2003 will be released in July this year.

Benefiting from a brand new deal signed with Formula One Administration Ltd, the FORMULA ONE franchise will now be exclusive to SCEE and to PlayStation 2 for the next four years, ensuring unparalleled accuracy and the closest experience to being an F1 driver you'll get on any platform.

President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Chris Deering said "This four year exclusive relationship is the basis for a very exciting partnership between the world's leading motorsport and the most successful video game platform on the planet. Together I believe we will create a totally new consumer game experience that combines the power of PlayStation 2 with the exhilaration and spectacle of FORMULA ONE and short of pulling on gloves and a helmet this is as close to being in the drivers seat as you're going to get.
Re: FIA Grants Exclusive F1 License to Sony
Date: June 16, 2003 05:13PM
Posted by: sasjag
they damn well better make some good f1 games then

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 16, 2003 05:20PM
Posted by: Hakkinenf1
a can see a big peace **** coming towards me
Date: June 16, 2003 06:01PM
Posted by: Guimengo
But it doesn't mean that we won't see any games from Geoff or EA, they will just release games based on the previous season, and we will hopefully have a more accurate game, specially on aerodynamics, tyres, horsepower, and those small specs.
But it still isn't the current season :(
Date: June 16, 2003 07:41PM
Posted by: tis
Yeah, Simergy never had an exclusive liscense for the rights to Formula 1 yet we still had the GPx series. All this means is that Sony will get the 2003 season in 2003 and other games will have to make do with the previous seasons. Notice that EA released a game almost the same time as both GP3 and GP4 but it was always the season after the one represented in the GPx games.

Post Edited (06-17-03 02:42)

Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Date: June 16, 2003 09:41PM
Posted by: Guimengo
And if you pay close attention, you'll see that the new EA Sports F1 is called Challenge, not 2003, and it goes in a career mode from 99 to 02, so it won't be any major changes to the current game. This will leave us on the hand of the great authors of patches and add-ons to GPx and F1200x, and I hope someday I get the necessary tools to become one myself and help others :)

Guilherme
Date: June 17, 2003 03:05AM
Posted by: Alex13
I know the guys over at SimracingWorld, and from what I'm told, this means that probably we won't see any games at all coming for Pc, Unless they do something like konami did with their ISS pro series (fake names etc)
Dmn... I'm too old to buy a console so I can play f1 games... :(

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: June 17, 2003 03:17AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

G1gp had fake names if i remember. I just put all the real names in myself
as long as Gp5 (if it even exists) has names you can edit it will be all good.
Sponsers dont have to be correct when games comes out anyway as
well everyone will eventually bre able to edit it anyway :D

Date: June 17, 2003 03:39AM
Posted by: Stan
looks like if there's gonna be any kind of GP5 it'll feature Mike Skymaker and Robbie Bummochello

Date: June 17, 2003 03:43AM
Robbie Bummochello and J.Mablo Modeya are my fav drivers!! :)

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: June 17, 2003 03:48AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

in F1gp

Helmut becker

that was MS's alter ego

Date: June 17, 2003 04:59AM
Posted by: Fieroboy
It's a damn shame how the all mighty greenback has effected the sim community, EA Madden NFL series has signed a exclusive deal with PSII for online play, EA also has exclusive rights to Nascar so that took Papyrus out of the equation I'm sure the list goes on. Kyle Petty summed it up pretty much to the point " we don't race tracks, we race markets"
Date: June 18, 2003 06:55AM
Posted by: sam2019
yeah this exclusive rights thing is stupid

it makes the formula one games market less competitive, and so the quality of the games advances at a slower pace. we will all suffer because there is no competition between games designers to produce the latest f1 game with new features like safety cars, red flags, etc.

and the ps2 is sh** anyway, why would anyone want to play games on it?

the pc is considerably more powerful. after all, your pc's are way more expensive than any console, and the ps2 is way old and out-of-date now!

the FIA have made a stupid decision if they wanted to expand its legion of formula one fans!

To be a legend, first you have to learn to drive
Date: June 18, 2003 08:44AM
PC's are more expensive coz they are not for playing games (at least not only for games) Maybe all GP4 and f12002 users who know pragamming languages like C++(*raises hand*) Delphi etc we can make a new game (in our dreams)

Date: June 18, 2003 08:50AM
Posted by: tux
*cough*

Date: June 18, 2003 08:52AM
Posted by: Ellis
hehe (6)

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 18, 2003 09:04AM
Posted by: Räikkönen
Doesn't make any difference to me, as I can't play GP4, never mind GP5, but I can understand the disapointment for everyone else who was looking forward to GP5. Look on the bright side, GP4 is great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Date: June 18, 2003 10:25AM
At least the gfx are good, and I think will be considered to be good for at leas one moreyear. that means about 2 more years playing GP4. (Is this enough time to learn Delpi? Coz I don't think I can realy create an editor using C++ for GP4)

Date: June 18, 2003 12:49PM
Posted by: sam2019
creating our own GP game?? hmmm...

well i know delphi, although not really a lot of direct x programming experience. it would probably take us about 5 years to create, by which gp5 will probably be out! :)

To be a legend, first you have to learn to drive
Date: June 18, 2003 01:18PM
Posted by: Vader
If you ask me, I don't care if a game has fantasy drivers and teams. As long as it can be modded, it's fine with me. Most of us don't use the out-of-box graphics anyway, so where's the problem?

Do it like Ubi Soft did with RS2 (MGPRS2): save the money for the license and rather put it into the development of a good game you release with editors.

F1 licenses for running seasons cost up to $10,000,000 I read somewhere a little while ago (internet support does cost a few $$$$ extra). Why give this much money to the FIA? Hire a good team and pay trhenm well to develop a decent driving/gameplay/F1 rule model.

Post Edited (06-18-03 20:24)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy