Quality X sizes of the textures

Posted by rracunis 
Quality X sizes of the textures
Date: July 05, 2017 11:19AM
Posted by: rracunis
Maybe this issue was already discussed here , if so sorry for that . I have some original TGA files in 4096X4096 and converted them to DDS in A8R8G8B8 which means big DDS files and consequently problems ingame ( game frozen ) . Converting from TGA To DDS in DDS/DXT5 means loss of quality , mainly the black textures becoming green . How can I solve this issue , having smaller files than I have now ,keeping the same quality of the original textures
Re: Quality X sizes of the textures
Date: July 05, 2017 11:32AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
ARGB8 is the only way to prevent losing your blacks unfortunately.
The performance hit from using ARGB8 is, as you've noticed, quite severe, as ARGB8 uses a lot of RAM.
One solution might be to resize to 2048x when doing the conversion from .tga to .tex.
A 2048x A8R8G8B8 .tex (converted from a 4096x TGA) is about the same size in memory as a 4096x DXT5 .tex (converted from a 4096x TGA), but looks much, much nicer.

EDIT: I found this thread that I started a while ago, that might have some useful information.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 11:33AM by AUS_Doug.
Date: July 05, 2017 11:49AM
Thanks Doug , got it (Y)
I also want to convert mipmaps files ( some helmets ) to DDS or TGA but didn't find out how to do that . Any help ?
Thanks in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 07:05PM by rracunis.
Date: July 06, 2017 11:41AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
Files with the extension '.mipmaps'?
Not entirely sure on that one; thats a format used by Codemasters games isn't it?

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: July 07, 2017 01:14PM
AUS_Doug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Files with the extension '.mipmaps'?
> Not entirely sure on that one; thats a format used
> by Codemasters games isn't it?

Yeah , it is the format used by Codemaster games . I tried to find any tutorial in the internet but was not sucessful , just found on how to to make the mipmaps files from DDS images but didn't find anything on how to convert them back to DDS or any other image formats like TGA or BMP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy