@ Madman. Tweaker bug report.

Posted by Morbid 
@ Madman. Tweaker bug report.
Date: June 13, 2003 10:03PM
Posted by: Morbid
I have done a search here and I have looked in the Tweaklist.txt, and didn't find anything, so I guess that this is probably something that you are not aware of.

This concerns the Qualifying Rule 2003 option in GP tweaker and changing weather. I started a qualifying session at Nürburgring with the specific intention of generating a session where the track started dry and there was a high probability of rain halfway through. I wanted to get a very mixed grid and see how the race would work out. However, something odd happened. Actually two odd things happened.

1) Approx. halfway through the session, a car was on a timed lap, and I thought "Wow you really shouldn't be out here on dry tyres". Appearantly, so did the AI. 20 seconds before the finish line, the "pit in" signal came on and the car pitted for a change of tyres - without setting a timed lap.

I am pretty sure that I know why this happened. When the track conditions change, and the AI's tyres no longer suit the AI, it automatically gets called into the pits, almost no matter what the situation. Even the human player gets told to pit, when the tyres don't suit the track anymore. It makes sense, given how the original game worked, but it's not so suitable for the Qualifying Rule 2003 system.

2) Eventually the same car reappeared with wet tyres, and set a lap. It wasn't disqualified for using to many flying laps. I figure that's because I still have my GpxPatch settings set for 12 laps. In the Tweaklist.txt it says that "3) 3 Laps limit for computer car, ignore current indicated lap numbers.", so I guess this isn't what you intended should happen. Anyway that wasn't so bad, except now there was 1 car too many on the track. And here things started to get weird.

Even though one car had already been called into the pits to change to wets, all the cars that ran after that started on drys! So they did the exact same thing the first car did, namely go out and pit again for a tyre change, and then reappeared on the track to set a timed lap on wets.

This became quite a mess. At times I even had three cars on track in the same view, some on drys (warm-up lap before pitting) and others on wets (setting timed laps). Eventually everybody did set a timed lap, but it took far more time that I had expected. With the extra laps and pit-stops, I doubt there would have been enough time to finish the session, had this happened at, say a long track like Spa, even though I had the cars spawn when the current runner starts its flying lap (the fastest way to do the qualifying session).

I dunno why the subsequent cars didn't make the correct tyre choices, when the AI already had determined that it was time for wet tyres. Perhaps you made it so, that the all cars are spawned at the beginning of the session and make their tyre choice at that point in time, but only actually appear later in the session?

In any case, I just thought I would let you know that this is going on. It should be quite easy to reproduce. Just start a qualifying session were the weather changes enough to warrant some cars on drys and others on wets.

Btw I did get my mixed grid, and the race was sweet and packed with lotz of action. It was just the proces of getting there, that wasn't quite what I expected :)

GP4 Forum bug-hunter Morbid, signing off...

Post Edited (06-14-03 05:12)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Re: @ Madman. Tweaker bug report.
Date: June 14, 2003 04:42AM
Posted by: Madman271
thanks for the reports, morbid.

yes, this is a known problem for qual rules, even in beta version for 1.0.4.5 release. the problem is because i currently only patch the way how pit's car out order works during qualifying session.

AI car's tyre changes during changeable weather is controlled by gp4 AI engine. you right about AI cars may cause things messed up when weather (track condition) changed during their qual laps time. right now i'm just concentrate on patching the pit's car out order, but the way AI cars responded for changeable weather for tyre changes will be the next plan for qual rules 2003 in gp4tweaker. perhaps the problem you're mentioned not fixed yet in the next gp4tweaker release, but it will be for some upward releases.

ch88rs,
madman
Date: June 14, 2003 04:48AM
thanks for the reports, morbid.

yes, this is a known problem for qual rules, even in beta version for 1.0.4.5 release. the problem is because i currently only patch the way how pit's car out order works during qualifying session.

AI car's tyre changes during changeable weather is controlled by gp4 AI engine. you right about AI cars may cause things messed up when weather (track condition) changed during their qual laps time. right now i'm just concentrate on patching the pit's car out order, but the way AI cars responded for changeable weather for tyre changes will be the next plan for qual rules 2003 in gp4tweaker. perhaps the problem you're mentioned not fixed yet in the next gp4tweaker release, but it will be for some upward releases.

ch88rs,
madman

---
how this is can be posted twice? :(

Post Edited (06-14-03 16:32)

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Date: June 14, 2003 09:43AM
So you knew already, hehe :)

It sounds reasonable enough to keep the priority on the car out order. That concerns every qual session in a championship, whereas the problem I described only happens once in a while, and even then most, if not all, cars will still set a timed lap.

Cheers Madman. Once again, its nice to have you around again.

Date: June 14, 2003 10:30AM
Posted by: Stan
well i have 1 bug to report
it wont run on my pc everytime i try to run it it gives some type of error and it crashes tryed reinstaling diff times still no hope

Date: June 14, 2003 10:42AM
You should probably describe that error and the text it reports in more detail, supergogeta. My guess is that it would be pretty hard to go looking for the cause of this, based on this thin slice of information.

Date: June 14, 2003 01:56PM

enogh?

Date: June 14, 2003 02:30PM
to supergogeta:

thanks for the picture, supergogeta.

try not to run gp4 from 'run gp4' button in gp4tweaker. instead, run gp4 directly from desktop shortcut or gpxpatch (if you used it). if your problem not solved, i'm still here waiting your next report.

to morbid:
i like the way you describe the problem. it is allow me to know the exact problems and helping me to archived it along to my to-do list.

ch88rs,
madman
Date: June 14, 2003 02:47PM
i run gp4 from gpxpatch no prob
i get that error only when i click on the tweaker icon on the desktop

Date: June 14, 2003 02:54PM
Posted by: SchimmyMike
ITs not only a problem of tweaker. Its a general problem of gp4.

If the ai only have 3 laps to drive a qual lap and the weather conditions are changing to wet they start their qual lap with dry tyres and after lap 1 they drive bac kto pits.

The ai cars needs a second turn (6 laps to drive a qualifying). If they can start a second turn they will change their tyres to correct ones and they can qualify.

I dont know if madman can fix this because its a problem of gp4.

The problem with the picture (supergogeta): That problem is only if a tool is accessing to gp4.exe (or your exe on that gp4 tweaker is working).

For example: If you have opened the gpxpatch gui and try to start gp4 tweaker the message comes (see on the picture). Its the same with all other tools. To fix that simple close all programs working on you gp4.exe. Thats all.

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: June 14, 2003 03:06PM
i dont have any gp4 prog running

Date: June 16, 2003 12:49AM
anyone plz? i would like to get it workin if u dont mind

Date: June 16, 2003 01:58AM
Posted by: Ghostrider
@ Madman
One question.. is it possible to change the position of the rear light?? Would be cool if you integrate this feature in next version!

Regards Andy
Carshape & Texture Design Project (www.ctdp.de.vu)
Date: June 16, 2003 04:44AM
to supergogeta:
did you have trying my suggestion?

to ghostrider:
do you know the name of the rear light shape? or it is stored as object which part of car shape? i just know the rear light texture is taken from cockpit_damage.tex (or i'm wrong?) but there's too many shapes using this texture and i don't have time to search them one by one.

ch88rs,
madman
Date: June 16, 2003 05:09AM
i get that error when i try to run tweaker itself when i click on the desktop icon of tweaker

Date: June 16, 2003 05:09AM
Posted by: Paulo Ricardo
Madman one question: I think that you are currently working on 2003 qualifying rules, don't you? I my concern is I will be starting a new championship and I used to play trough the GP4 championship option and if I start and you change the rules of the weekend I would have to start another one, I am planning to make a champ using non-champ races to avoid this matter, do you think I am right?

Keep your distance
Date: June 16, 2003 05:15AM
ok prob solved in running the tweaker in win 98 mode and it works

Date: June 16, 2003 06:49AM
to supergogeta:
now i'm completely understand with your problem and glad to hear it solved. however, i'm still concern about why gp4tweaker sometimes refuse to works on some WinXP machine. i guess it caused by memory management handler in WinXP which handling exceptions more secure (see what happen in Lo2k's CamEditor). what i best suggested atm is using compatibility mode to runs some problematic programs. but i also recommend to clean your system in case any presence of trojans or viruses.

to paulo ricardo:
changing the qual rules are safe even in the middle of a championship. however, avoid change qual rules while your champioship is saved during in the middle of qual session. on most cases, it does not causing your gp4 crash but can 'confusing' gp4. :)

ch88rs,
madman
Date: June 16, 2003 06:59AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

Madman:

I have the same problem as supergogeta. BUT then when i try to run
gpxpatch it goes all screwy and has no idea what version of gp4 i have.
ALSO if i try to run tweaker AGAIN it says another gp4 program in use

im going to try supergogeta did.... ill report back :)

Date: June 16, 2003 07:06AM
i did a checkup and no viruses were found gpx patch and cam edit work fine
the only prob i have now is that when i move the helmet and wheel the helmet moves ok but the steering wheel and arms dont :S

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy