Totally new user here! Hello!

Posted by lokidan 
Totally new user here! Hello!
Date: August 03, 2016 01:32PM
Posted by: lokidan
Hello lads and lassies. Just to introduce myself, I'm Dan I'm 38 (i think lol) I'm and packaging artworker for B&q. I love cars and motorsport and the heyday of f1 (you know what era that is). I drive a class merc 2016 a250 220hp, I've done nu,serous track and rally days which did involve a go in an open wheeler!!! (tattuus variant f2) bloody amazed how fast things can come at you lol.

Anyway started on megadrive, loving outrun down the arcade machines then bought a toshiba satellite laptop and started playing the grand prix 1 game (religiously!loved it) went on to number 2 then 3 and dabbled in 4 before going to better consoles. 3 years ago i came back to pc and new age sim racing. Playing AMS, Assetto corsa and occasionly Rf2 (when it works fine!). I saw gp4 on amazon and thought firstly no way, and then clicked the BUY button. Its arriving tomorrow but i want to ask for some advice. I looked at the FAQ thread but it seemed very intimidating with all those mods etc.

I want to firstly get the game updated to - run a higher resolution and better textures- (i have a gtx 970 on a i7, and ultra wide monitor. I don't suppose anyones got gp4 running in 2560x1080 res yet.
For starters i wouldn't mind running the vanilla season (with better gfx) then start using other season mods. My other questions is are the stock AI still great and the physics, without mods. Also i read a lot about a CSM mod, what is this? But as long as i can get it more to 1080. As you can tell buy now i haven't a clue how to mod gp4. Apart from running the patch then a nocd exe lol.

As you can see I'm confused?!

Cheers for any advise guys, and can't wait to receive my disk with this classic - and still going strong - f1 game!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2016 01:39PM by lokidan.
Re: Totally new user here! Hello!
Date: August 03, 2016 05:19PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
Welcome to the GPG Forum Dan. :-)(Y)
Date: August 03, 2016 08:28PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Welcome on the forum Lokidan,

I am not an expert in CSM mod but, long story short, a CSM mod is like an updated game ready to use for a specific season, for F1 or other category, with a mod's configurable where you can modify the settings of the season. GP4 AI still remains one of the best among all racing simulations game that I have tested. Physics are good and can be modified ... But hey, don't forget the game is 14 years old. The interest is that Devs from the community have created great tools to mod or to update the game and that they are still working to improve them version per version, bringing great features...Even if the source code of the game has got its limits, you will be able to update the game with a lot of possibilities.

Into the gp4faq, I think that you will find some answers, yet...

Before to update the game, you will need a correct installation:

1- Install the game.
2- Install the official patch 9.6: [www.grandprixgames.org]
3- Install the decrypted NoCD patch: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Important: It is necessary at this step to launch the game once . You don't need to launch a race. Once on the menu screen, you can quit the game...
4- Install GPxPatch (last version is 4.44): [rsdi.home.xs4all.nl]

Once installed, you will have to launch the game with GPxPatch, not the gp4.exe

Now, the Tools:

- ZazTools: You will find CSM (for mods), TSM (for tracks and trackpacks), Easywad (to update your cars.wad where are stored the cars, others.gp4 files, textures, cockpit files, tyres etc...), and Slimtex (if you need to convert your textures for the game or games textures into .tga format, for example)...
Link: [www.mediafire.com]

- Wadupdater 4.2: This is the same function than Easywad from ZazTools. It allows you to modify or to update your .wad files (like your cars.wad) but I prefer this one: [www.mediafire.com]

- TeamEditor 3.5: Allows you to edit the positions of your St Wheel, helmets, tyres (beware: It modifies the tyres positions for all the cars. You can't choose to edit the tyres positions of the car you want. See below for another usefool tool to edit all cars positions) cameras angles with a 3D preview window, but also to edit the team order, team names, drivers names, performances etc... and others features. Personnally, I use both TeamEditor and GP4Tweaker to edit cars and others positions settings: [www.mediafire.com]

- GP4Tweaker v.1045_Reloaded: Allows you to edit all the postions (St wheel, helmets, arm positions, arms colors, cameraangle view, tyres, rear_lights etc...) : [www.mediafire.com]
Important: follow the installation tutorial into the archive and don't forget to put the gp4tweak.ini file into your main GP4 installation folder.
Important 2: If you use both TeamEditor and GP4Tweaker, you have to know that GP4Tweaker will override TeamEditor positions. So, you have to select the positions you want to edit only into the gp4tweak.ini file (0= disabled ; 1= enabled). Then, edit the .ini files from your gp4tweak_DATA folder (into your main GP4 installation folder).

That's all for the moment. Take the time with these tools. I am sure that you will have some questions to ask....

Don't hesitate to consult the GP4faq and also to use the search function for mods, files , specific files seasons, tracks etc... There are also a lot of threads where common or specific issues have been solved, already.
If you don't find a solution to your problem, create a new thread with a comprehensive title related to your problem to get the best help.
Once your problem is solved, don't forget also to edit your title with the mention [FIXED] or [SOLVED] so that the GP4 users can find an answer to the same problem quickly (just an advice ;-) )

Thank you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2016 08:31PM by Excalibur.
Date: August 03, 2016 08:35PM
Posted by: munnzy
Welcome to GP4Forever.
Excalibur has pointed you in the right direction for starter and any issue you will find answers here for sure
enjoy this site as we do.
good luck
Date: August 03, 2016 09:31PM
thats brilliant and thank you exc'.

one more thing is there anything I can do for resolution having a higher format for example. ?
dan
Date: August 03, 2016 09:38PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Open f1graphics.cfg in the root folder of gp4 with notepad and make these changes:

1			; f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0)
2560			; [RELEASE] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
1080			; [RELEASE] Game 3D Vertical Resolution

save file.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: August 04, 2016 01:39AM
Posted by: Atticus.
Hi lokidan, it's amazing to see such enthusiasm for this game.

The stock AI is great and, in fact, it's not modified that much since 2002, AFAIK, it's pretty hardcoded. Stock physics is also good - for the early 2000s' cars. There are numerous new physics files around, ask phantaman, he's the expert on the topic around here. :-)

Have fun! :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: August 06, 2016 03:38PM
OMG how good is this game even with vanilla content and a pad (haven't set my t300 up yet) I cant believe technically it almost feels like a modern game!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 04:55PM by lokidan.
Date: August 06, 2016 05:08PM
Guys uve just downloaded the 2015 mod and I have gpx, how do I install the mod please? :)
Date: August 06, 2016 10:30PM
Posted by: mortal
Check the FAQ, sticky topic.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy