ZAZ trouble - ARGH!!!!

Posted by F1Classicfan 
ZAZ trouble - ARGH!!!!
Date: April 05, 2016 09:53PM
Posted by: F1Classicfan
I know this has probably been discussed on the forum a thousand times before, but I am struggling to find an answer.

I recently downloaded GP4, and I have installed all the relevant downloads, no cd, gpx patch, 9.6 etc., etc., but I cant seem to get ZAZ tools working correctly.

I download the program into the same directory I have GP4 in and after the installation is complete, when the program tries to auto launch, I receive an error saying

"unable to retrieve list this could have several reasons make sure you have configured your firewall properly or perhaps the server just timed out,
also its possible you cant retrieve this version list because of a Proxy"

I've made sure my firewall allows CSM, and I don't think there is a problem with the proxy. If I click on the CSM icon it puts me into the DLL files, but I cannot open those either, getting the error message

"Not a decrypted GP4 Executable. Try again?"

I know I'm probably doing something very stupid, but at this point I'm kind of stumped. Is there anyone out there who can steer me in the right direction or who knows of an idiots guide to getting ZAZ installed and working?

Many thanks.
Re: ZAZ trouble - ARGH!!!!
Date: April 06, 2016 01:11AM
Posted by: TomMK
The first one has been covered before several times on this site: [www.google.com]

The second one means you have not installed the decrypted GP4.exe properly. Find it here: [www.gp4central.com]

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: April 08, 2016 04:17PM
Thanks Tom,

I tried your suggestions and I've spent the last two days going through many of the posted topics on zaz tools to try and find a solution but to no avail. I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. Here are the steps I follow:

1. Install game in c: and create a separate folder for it, not in program files, I read putting it there can cause problems with permissions, etc.
2. Install patch 9.6
3. Install patch 1.02, then configure in game settings and run the game once.
4. Install gp patch.

Up to this point everything works as it should. Then I try to install zaz tools. I place it in the same folder as the game. It appears to install but then fails to launch at the end of installation with message "unable to retrieve, firewall/server timed out/proxy etc.,etc.,etc.

I've added CSM and GP4 to the DEP, as some suggested, I have no proxy enabled and I've allowed game and the CSM package in my firewall, I even shut off my anti virus program when installing, but still zaz will not launch. Many have suggested unchecking auto update in the CSM options menu, which would be great if I could open up the program to access the menu, but I can't.

When I try click on the CSM icon and get directed to the dll files I'm still getting the decrypted message, which I don't understand as I've installed the decrypted patch.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but is there anyone out there who knows of a solution to this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Date: April 08, 2016 05:05PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
I am not really sure of it, and other people here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to install Zaz in another folder, not in GP4's one. It's such a long time I've done it I can't remember exactly.

2. Install patch 9.6
3. Install patch 1.02, then configure in game settings and run the game once.

If I'm correct 9.6 and 1.02 are the same patch, so second one is not needed, you're just patching the game a second time (unless you're talking of the no-cd.exe ?).

Date: April 08, 2016 05:23PM
Posted by: gap177
ZAZ Tools shouldn't be installed in your Gp4 folder. Install ZAZ Tools in its own folder. I do not use CSM as I have the same error that I couldn't resolve in Windows 10. I managed to get it to install, but I only use it to open CSM mods. I then create non-CSM mods from the files. I have found that non-csm mods run much better on my laptop with very few crashes to the desktop.

Glenn (Cdn)
Date: April 08, 2016 06:30PM
Eric & Gap177, thanks for your suggestions. (Eric, in answer to your question I did mean the no cd decrypted patch.)

I've created a separate folder for ZAZ tools tried to run it and no luck, I still get the same message, I also tried putting it in program files and program files x86 and got the same result. Any ideas?

Gap177 - Just in case I can't resolve the issue, is there program out there for non CSM mods, and are there many non CSM mods? I'm not going to give up just yet but I'm beginning to miss the simplicity of GP2 edit.
Date: April 09, 2016 12:37AM
The confusing part for me is where you say you "get directed to the DLL files" when you click on the CSM icon.

Can you go to C:\Program Files\ZaZ Tools and double-click on CSM.exe there, and tell me what happens?

Date: April 09, 2016 10:41PM
Hi Tom,

Firstly, thanks for your help, I'm sure most modders and developers are tired of CSM questions, so I appreciate all your advice.

When I click on the CSM icon in C:\Program Files\ZaZ Tools I get a bunch of icons. If I double click on the CSM icon a folder opens up that has the title "Select you GP4 executable" in the left hand corner. Within the box itself are 4 applications:

cuh
cuh04
dtx
regcheck

If I double-click on any of them I get the message "Not a decrypted GP4 executable. Try Again?"

If I click try again, the "Select you GP4 executable" box with the same 4 applications as above opens up again.

If I click yes or no a following box pops up with the message "Do you want to download the 9.6 update patch and decrypted exe?"

If I click no then all the boxes close. If I click yes, a download 9.6 patch box pops up, with three options:

"Cancel"
"download patch and install it"
"download 9.6 patch + clean cars.wad and install it"

You can only click on the first option, the other two are like in grey-scale.

I hope this helps you figure out what is going on. If you need any further info, please just shoot me a message.

And again, thank you for all your help.
Date: April 10, 2016 04:21AM
The "GP4 executable" is GP4.exe in your Grand Prix 4 folder. You need to show CSM where GP4.exe lives.

That's why CSM is saying these dll files are not GP4.exe - because they are not GP4.exe ;)

Open CSM, and when the "Select your GP4 executable" dialog shows, browse to where GP4.exe lives and select it. Then CSM will open.

Date: April 10, 2016 09:53PM
Hi Tom,

Me again. Sorry to keep pestering you but the CSM is still not working. I opened up CSM and when "Select your GP4 executable" dialog came up I browsed to where GP4.exe was and selected it as you advised. The blue circle thing by the mouse cursor spun round a few times and then nothing happened. I tried again and got the message 'Detected gp4 exe is "GP4.exe" Do you want you use this file?' I clicked yes and got the following message "Do you want use the default folder for mods?' If I select yes I just get an option to create a new folder then after that nothing happens. If I select no the little blue circle does its thing and then nothing happens. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure the fault is probably with something silly I'm not seeing/doing.
Date: April 11, 2016 11:14AM
Nice to see you've solved the first issue, it's a good thing :)

What you need now to use ZAZ is to add a csm mod. The easiest way is to go into your mod folder (not in ZAZ tools) which can be anywhere you'd like it to be, and double clic on the .cum file of the mod. It will be automatically installed into ZAZ. Then you can open CSM and select your mod into the window.

If it doesn't work that way, open ZAZ CSM, then go to menu 'File > Add a mod' (or something similar) and navigate up to your mod folder to select the mod.

Date: April 11, 2016 07:03PM
Hi Eric,

Well I thought I'd solved it the dreaded CSM problems after Tom's suggestion, but it's still not working. As he suggested I opened up CSM and only got the box with the "Select your GP4 executable" dialog and the 4 applications. I browsed to where GP4.exe is and selected the icon (the one with the little checkered flag). So far so good. I then got the message 'Detected gp4 exe is "GP4.exe" Do you want you use this file?' I selected yes. I created a mod folder and downloaded a mod into it, but I noticed as soon as it was downloaded the filename changed from 1991.cuh to just 1991 and the icon next to it changed too, but the file still remained a CSM file. Anyway, I clicked on the file and the 'open with' box popped up. I selected CSM, clicked open and was redirected back to the 'open with box.' I'm almost at the "banging head into a wall" point, but I'll keep plugging away at it. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank again.
Date: April 12, 2016 12:53AM
You don't download the .cuh file into your mod folder. Just leave it in Downloads or wherever.

Now in CSM, click File - Install Carset / Update - Browse to 1991.cuh and select it. The mod will be extracted into the mod folder and appear in CSM.

Date: April 12, 2016 02:07AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for clearing up the mod folder thing for me. I know I must be frustrating, so I again just want to thank you for your help.

However, I'm cannot access File - Install Carset / Update in CSM because it still won't open for me. When I click on the CSM icon the little blue circle thing by the mouse cursor spin round a few times, then nothing happens.

Let me run by you what I've been doing in case I'm making a silly mistake, which is probably the case.

1. Download GP4 v1.02 from GP central. (if I'm not mistaken this patch has the 9.6 patch, no-cd exe and gpxpatch already installed.)
2. Create a folder on the c: drive to put the game in i.e. c: GP4/Grand Prix 4
2. Run the game and configure in-game settings.
3. Download ZAZ tools. Put it in C:Program files
4. Check proxy, firewall and DEP settings.
5. Install ZAZ. Click on CSM icon when the "Select your GP4 executable" dialog box opens up, locate the grand prix 4 file on c: and click on the GP4.exe icon (little square checked flag thing).
6. Select yes to 'Detected gp4 exe is "GP4.exe" Do you want you use this file?' and yes to 'Do you want use the default folder for mods?'

Now this is where it starts to unravel a bit. When I click on the CSM icon, nothing opens. I downloaded a mod as Eric suggested in order to open CSM, but when I tried to open the mod, the 'open with' box appears. I select CSM click open and get directed back to the 'open with' box. - I'm stumped. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what?
Date: April 12, 2016 10:30AM
It seems CSM is not opening like it should.

Can you post the contents of the file C:\Program Files\ZaZ Tools\Logs\csmcore.txt please?

Date: April 12, 2016 10:43AM
Is the mod a .cuh file ?

Date: April 12, 2016 03:47PM
Hi Tom & Eric.

Eric - The mod I was trying to open is the 1991 mod from gp4 database. It's named 1991.cuh but WinRAR lists it as a CSM file.

Tom - Is this what you wanted?

09:23:19: ### Logging Started: Gp4 Library 0.8.108 on 12 Apr 2016
09:23:19: ### C:\Program Files\ZaZ GP4 Tools\DLL\gp4lib.exe
09:23:19: CSMPath = C:\Program Files\ZaZ GP4 Tools\
09:23:19: CarsetPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\
09:23:19: BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:23:19: Gp4Path = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\
09:23:19: Gp4Exe = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\GP4.exe
09:23:19: Swap BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:23:19: Patch BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:23:19: Wad BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\CSMAddToWad\
09:23:36: ### Logging Started: Gp4 Library 0.8.108 on 12 Apr 2016
09:23:36: ### C:\Program Files\ZaZ GP4 Tools\DLL\gp4lib.exe
09:23:36: CSMPath = C:\Program Files\ZaZ GP4 Tools\
09:23:36: CarsetPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\
09:23:36: BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:23:36: Gp4Path = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\
09:23:36: Gp4Exe = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\GP4.exe
09:23:36: Swap BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:23:36: Patch BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:23:36: Wad BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\CSMAddToWad\
09:26:26: ### Logging Started: Gp4 Library 0.8.108 on 12 Apr 2016
09:26:26: ### C:\Program Files\ZaZ GP4 Tools\DLL\gp4lib.exe
09:26:26: CSMPath = C:\Program Files\ZaZ GP4 Tools\
09:26:26: CarsetPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\
09:26:26: BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:26:26: Gp4Path = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\
09:26:26: Gp4Exe = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\GP4.exe
09:26:26: Swap BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:26:26: Patch BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\
09:26:26: Wad BackupPath = C:\GP4\Grand Prix 4\Gpsaves\Carsets\backup\CSMAddToWad\
Date: April 12, 2016 04:26PM
.cuh is the extension of CSM files so it's ok. Folders structure seems ok for me too but I'm not an expert.
Could you try to install another CSM mod ?

@Tom : I'm not really sure but weren't there some people having similar issue with this mod in the past ?

Date: April 12, 2016 06:27PM
Hi Eric,

I tried loading the 1988 and 1994 mods also from gp4 database, but I run into the same problem. I click on the file, the 'open with' box pops up, I select CSM and I'm directed back to the 'open with' box.
Date: April 12, 2016 08:55PM
Ok, so just to be sure some points to check before going further:

It's named 1991.cuh but WinRAR lists it as a CSM file
You need to extract it first before installing it.

I click on the file, the 'open with' box pops up, I select CSM and I'm directed back to the 'open with' box.
You need to double clic on it to install it. I mean in its folder location, not in ZAZ Tool. As an alternative you can use CMS menu 'File > Install carset/update' (NOT 'Install new carset template' which creates a blank mod)

If this still doesn't work for you go to menu 'File > Options' and look if all the checkboxes are checked EXCEPT Auto update, and in File Association if all the checkboxes are checked (for me GPI is unchecked but I don't think that could be an issue)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy