GP4 Win10 I Sound of game is there but screen is black

Posted by Ronage 
GP4 Win10 I Sound of game is there but screen is black
Date: February 21, 2016 03:53PM
Posted by: Ronage
Hi guys. After a long time of hesitation I finally decided to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now, i read a lot about what to do, like installing the game on another partition and stuff. But here my GP4 actually starts. I use GPXPatch then the screen turns black. I hear the sweet music of GP4 intro. A sound that accompanied me so long now and it still makes me feel good because I anticipate some great racing ahead. Sorry, I went OT here. hehe.

Well, my problem is that i hear the intro sounds (the 2 intros) and then i hear the menu sound, but the screen stays black. Maybe someone has an idea? Before I install everything from scratch I would like to try everything possible to make that work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Re: GP4 Win10 I Sound of game is there but screen is black
Date: February 21, 2016 06:59PM
Ok. I found out, that in windowed mode it's actually working. With a slight drop in fps though. And of course that's not the way to go, because windowed mode can't user the whole screen. Maybe someone can help with that? why can't i see the game, when trying to run normally (not windowed).
Date: February 21, 2016 09:51PM
Posted by: SDI
I've sent you a PM with a possible solution.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
I haven't found a solution to full screen problem under windows 10. With the fix ofr René (thanks again) I could play at least in windowed mode (I had a problem because I have 3 screens, but I play in one)
Date: February 22, 2016 07:18PM
Hi René. Unfortunatly it didn't work with the beta. I have a special setup which could cause the problem. On the DVI-Digital output of my graphics card I have a pc monitor with 1080p 60Hz, while on the HDMI output I have a 1080p Sony Bravia TV hocked up. I drive my races infront of the bravia TV because my playseat is positioned there.

Once I start GP4 in full screen mode, the Bravia TV shows me Input of 640x480px @ 60Hz and showes no picture like on the pc monitor. Before with win7 i could see gp4 on both screens. I think the problem might be that GP4 is somehow just going into 640x480px , even if my f1graphics.cfg does state 1080p. So probably it has to do with my two screens right?
Date: February 22, 2016 07:45PM
If you disconnect one of the monitors, does it work?

Also, I understand that the screen on your tv is black, but the game does not hang. My fix was for a freezing GP4 at startup, which also results in a black screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2016 07:46PM by SDI.
Date: February 22, 2016 08:29PM
I tried to disconnect either of the two screens. No Luck. It's the same behavior. My TV screen always changes the input to 640x480px @ 60Hz. The strange thing is, if I start the task manager to stop gp4 i can't see the task manager. Its like it is behind the black screen of the game.

Yes you did understand right. the screen is black, but I hear the intro and menu sound. I can even click to skip the intro sound and it is working.

Another thing is: when I start the game in window mode by typing a 1 in the f1praphics.cfg then it works, but the resolution in the game menu says 640x480px. like the game can't display the right resolution. It's really strange. maybe it's time to do a clean install outside the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. Too bad, because in windowed mode, everything is working fine.
Date: February 23, 2016 09:36PM
It looks like a pure graphical issue. Maybe someone else has an idea how to solve it, because I'm out of options :(

Date: February 23, 2016 09:44PM
:( thanks René for trying to help. I guess with you out of options my only option is to roll back to win 7 or really do a clean install of win 10. I am not sure I have the time and the patience to do that ;-)

So if someone else has an idea I am open for suggestions.
Ronage said :
---------------------
> [...] but the resolution in the game menu says 640x480px [...]

I think that it is the usual behaviour when you have a resolution higher of the ones the game can handle by default. This doesn't mean that it won't take your resolution if you made the tweak in f1graphics.cfg but it just can't tell you.

Also, if you have a multi-screen device keep in mind that the game would probably be unable to handle it so put the resolution of your main screen in f1graphics.cfg and not the three-wide one. Maybe that's the reason of the black screen as well.

Date: February 24, 2016 08:23PM
Thanks Eric

On windows 7 i didn't have the problem and the resolution in the game was on 640x480px also. My two screens are actually just a copy. I have them on duplicate so i can drive infront of the sony TV screen. But the PC screens shows the same picture. both are on 1080p resolution. The same resolution I also use in the f1graphics.cfg.

The strange thing is, that the game works in windows mode. but the I can't press ALT ENTER to get to full screen. I have the feeling that the game is actually displayed but outside the screen canvas. I don't know if this makes sense or if it's even possible, but it looks like the lower edge of the screen is bleeding some lit pixels. like the game screen just nudged 1080pixels on the vertical axis.

It's really very strange. I guess on weeekend i will do the following:

1 Clean install of the game
2 When it doesn't work with clean install, it's rollback time to win 7 :-(

So if anybody has an idea I would really appreciate it.
Date: February 25, 2016 12:31PM
Do you actually run GP4 in Windows XP compatibility mode?

Date: February 25, 2016 10:54PM
Hi René. Yes I do run it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Like on win7. But I didn't install GP4 on windows 10. I installed it on win 7 some years ago and now I just upgraded to windows 10 without reinstalling any software so maybe that's the last chance. To actually install from scratch.
Date: February 27, 2016 11:42AM
Hey guys. I hope this might help someone else if he has a problem. I did a clean install of GP4 to another Partition and now Grand Prix 4 is working as usual. (Y) Now i just need to install all the other stuff like gp4tweaker and gpxpatch and all my tracks and cars, but i am confident that it will work.

so if you have a problem with fullscreen not working i guess a clean install on win10 will do the trick.
Date: February 29, 2016 02:37PM
Great.

I'll try installing GP4, it's true that I have the game only copied. I'll see if that is the key to play full screen on windows 10.
I hope it works for you too javifast. Oh an René you might be interested in the fact that it runs great even with 4.43 version of GPXPatch in full screen. something i noticed also is that if I have Number of multisamples if available to 0 it works. if i put any other number it will not run in fullscreen.
With number of multisamples to 0 it works in full screen
@Ronage: do you run GP4 in compatibility mode then? If yes, can you try without compatibility mode for both GPxPatch 4.44 beta and GP4?

@ René: I wasn't around the last 2 days. I will test it this weekend and tell you how it behaves without compatibility mode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy