LO2k or Madman can you help ?

Posted by Caelen 
LO2k or Madman can you help ?
Date: May 31, 2003 04:04PM
Posted by: Caelen
sorry to ask you guys but i think i need your help.
I want to lower the cockpit shape in relation to the wheels, i believe the shape is way to high and much more of the wheels should be visible from the cockpit.
i can lower the shape, fine
i can lower the dashboard, fine
i can lower the steering wheel, fine
unfortunately this lower steering wheel still rotates around the same axis as before, and not its new centre. ie the centre of rotation is now in the middle at the top of the wheel. iv tried different things in z-modeller but i dont think the problem is there, i think the rotation axis is probably hard coded somewhere and thats why im asking you guys, any help, pointers or ideas appreciated. thanks in advance.
Re: LO2k or Madman can you help ?
Date: May 31, 2003 04:49PM
Posted by: Vader
Do you really think you will get more answers if you post the same qeustion twice? ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 31, 2003 05:15PM
ssoorryy bbuutt mmyy kkeeyybbooaarrddss ppllaayyiinngg uupp

Post Edited (06-01-03 00:54)
Date: May 31, 2003 05:56PM
Posted by: sasjag
holy crap i'm confused :|

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: May 31, 2003 07:41PM
Posted by: tux
madman seems to have gone mad and went AWOL on us :-o and i guess lo2k is asleep at 2:41am ;) (well 3:41am in france ;))

Date: June 01, 2003 03:15AM
Posted by: Lo2k
lol, yep i was in my bed at that hour :)

About the steering wheel position, did you try to use GP4 tweaker to displace it ?
I personnally did some test without tweaker and effectively, rotation center remained the same whatever the position of the wheel...but maybe madman find a way to displace rotation center too...hope he will come back soon...

Date: June 01, 2003 03:33AM
thanks, i hadnt noticed that option in tweaker, unfortunately it appears to be only for external view steering wheel, but it gives some hope that it would be possible to move cockpit wheel as well, if i had even 1 clue as to what to look for in the .exe file id give it a go myself but unfortunately i dont so i guess ill have to hope someone can figure it out.
Date: June 01, 2003 04:50AM
Posted by: ricky
Lo2k wrote:

but maybe madman find a way to displace rotation center too...hope he will come back soon...

@Lo2k: where is madman? On a bussines travel?
Date: June 01, 2003 04:56AM
the last i heard of him, he was having email problems :-o

Date: June 01, 2003 08:18AM
I don't know where is Madman, i can only hope he is on a business travel or something similar...

Date: June 10, 2003 07:19PM
Posted by: Madman271
why should goes off topic because of me?

well, i dunno why somebody want to move steering-wheel position in main cockpit. even when ellis has done with gta car project, i can't imagine he will put steering-wheel in the edge of the screen.

yes, steering-wheel position is hard coded in gp4 codes (matrices transformation). but laurent/lo2k may playing with values near arm colors table data and see the stretching/scaling effect to steering-wheel shape for both the grip and lcd texture mapping. not so important though, but for bored people, it's fun enough. :)

ps;
sorry i'm late to respond to this thread.

gr88ts,
madman

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Date: June 11, 2003 04:11AM
Posted by: Lee
Please read Calean's post again.

He wants to lower the wheel, not move it from side to side.

It would be good if anyone can help him as, in my opinion, he produces the best & most realistic cockpits for GP4 &, just like his tyre textures, is constantly trying to improve them.

Hope you can find a solution John, look forward to future updates.
Date: June 11, 2003 06:25AM
heeh, you're right madman, i played with steering wheel stretching datas and it was very funny. The best one is when the steering wheel is at t-cam height then you can see long arms and wheel both rotating around the original axe in corners, really funny :))

Date: June 11, 2003 02:24PM
i'm sorry if i misread about lower steer position. good idea if we can move steer center position. at the moment i just can suggest to use such a trick like moving cockpit camera up. this is gives steer-wheel shown at the bottom of the screen. i think laurent's great cam-editor has capability to doing this.

to caelen;
original cockpit position is already too low. you may see the front wheels has half intersect with ground surface. btw; i think steer-wheel is shape object (.gp4) so you can change the global pos and center coordinates of the .gp4 shape file. i dunno what tool program can be used to changes such settings but i know it's there in .gp4 file format (part of object data).

to lo2k;
:) nice when implemented as 'accessibility' feature in case somebody can't see the steering-wheel. :)

ch88rs,
madman
Date: June 11, 2003 03:32PM
"you may see the front wheels has half intersect with ground surface..."
Hmm...i have to correct you here, Madman.
The fact front in-cockpit tyres are half cut isn't due to the height of the cockpit, but only to a visual effect. Because cockpit is at the right place but GP4 Designer's only created half in-cockpit front wheels to save ressources as you can see if you open the car_wheel_front_cockpit.gp4 file with my 3D Editor. Your eye just think it's half cut due to intersect with ground, helped to it by the lack of wheel shadows.

Else, steering wheel is a shape object of course, it's the cockpit_wheel.gp4 file stored in the cockpit folder inside cars.wad.
You will be able to displace it with 3DEditor but it will be long as you will have to displace every component (leds, messages positions, etc...) one by one for now.
Just a hint: if you wish to see the full textured steering wheel, just put
new_steering_wheel_displays.tga
steering_wheel_centre.tga
steering_wheel_ends.tga
in the same place as the cockpit_wheel.gp4 file and open this file with 3DEditor.

Date: June 12, 2003 03:04AM
you can actually edith the steering wheel in z-modeller, you can seleect all the readouts etc and move them all at once. this was thanks to someone, sorry cant remember who (he released a momo wheel), who discovered he could import the wheel part of the cockpit.gp4 shape and save it as the steering-wheel.gp4. the cockpit.gp4 was a combination of the dash and the wheel and is redundent, ive deleted it and has caused no problem.
so moving the wheel is no problem, just moving the damn axis.

for madman, just to clarify why i want to move the wheel. in some photos ive seen recently from inside the cockpit of the ferrari there was a lot more of the wheels visible. the camera position was very low, ie no nosecone was visible but a lot of the tyres, down to the rims was visible.
ie i want to lower the whole cockpit shape so that the view in game matches the real thing. I am able to lower everthing and get good results, but cant lower the steering wheel axis, so it rotates around the top not the centre. even when i lowered things quite a bit the half missing wheels were not visible so theres no problem there.

Post Edited (06-12-03 10:11)
Date: June 12, 2003 05:05AM
to lo2k;
you are right. i forgot that cockpit and front tyres is a separated object.

to caelen;
i've been looking at the possibility of moving steer-wheel center axis. i'll inform the results asap if the position can be modified directly, otherwise perhaps i should add them to next gp4tweaker version.

ps;
i wonder why gp4tweaker seems to becoming an editor rather than simple tweaker. :)

gr88ts,
madman
Date: June 13, 2003 02:05AM
thanks any help appreciated greatly, most edits are really just "tweaks" so the name is not inappropriate.
Date: June 13, 2003 06:09AM
"i wonder why gp4tweaker seems to becoming an editor rather than simple tweaker"

so does that mean u will start to make an editor (hint ;))

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy