How to swap cars?

Posted by Paco 
How to swap cars?
Date: May 27, 2003 05:19AM
Posted by: Paco
Anybody could tell me what I can do to change the cars, I mean, I have Williams FW25 in slot 3 (as it was in season 2001) but now I want to swap it with the MaCLaren, to get a 2003 order in the teams.
I would be grateful If anyone could give me some tips about it. Of course, I want to change the liveries and the carshape also.

Paco

I'm against sigpics
Re: How to swap cars?
Date: May 27, 2003 06:07AM
Posted by: Zjokke
Use the liveryeditor.
There you can change the teamorder
Date: May 27, 2003 07:01AM
Posted by: Paco
but with that program I can also change the carshapes??? Because I don`t want to change just the liveries

I'm against sigpics
Date: May 27, 2003 07:14AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
hey lo2k please give a short tutorial on how to change the order, along with carshapes, etc. thanks. how do helmets get affected? will montoya have coulthards helmet? pitcrew? alll these things have to be taken into consideration.
Date: May 27, 2003 07:24AM
Posted by: Morbid
You better prepare yourself if you use the liveryeditor. It is cool, but sometimes it screws up and crashes the game. If this happens there is another way to do things. It seems complicated at first, but once you have tried it, it is pretty easy.

Take all the lods (carshapes) for the team from the cars.wad or car package (like a downloaded zip). Like:

car_bar_car1_lod_0.gp4
car_bar_car1_lod_1.gp4
car_bar_car1_lod_2.gp4
car_bar_car1_lod_3.gp4
car_bar_car1_lod_4.gp4
car_bar_car2_lod_0.gp4
car_bar_car2_lod_1.gp4
car_bar_car2_lod_2.gp4
car_bar_car2_lod_3.gp4
car_bar_car2_lod_4.gp4

Rename the BAR part to the teamslot you wish to use. So for instance bar becomes mclaren:

car_mclaren_car1_lod_0.gp4

Remember also to get and rename the the cp_team.tex, in this case cp_bar.tex to cp_mclaren.tex. That is the cockpit you see from the driver cam.

Each lod file has a reference that calls for textures. Each reference calls for textures like this:

bar_1.tex
bar_2.tex
bar_3.tex
hi_bar_1.tex
hi_bar_2.tex
hi_bar_3.tex

Each texture is a seperate file (actually each file is several textures of different sizes, but nevermind that now) and the references to the textures are incased in the lod files. The references DO NOT change when you rename the lods.

If you put cars in the game, that use the same references, you will have a problem, since both teams will use the same textures. You can solve this by using a hexeditor. Rename the tex files and change the references in the LODs accordingly. There is an excellent tutorial @ [racing-leagues.com] on how to do this.

Once done, put the lods, and if needed the tex files, back into cars.wad with GP4master, wadupdater or editors like that. Run GP4 and enjoy :)

Post Edited (05-27-03 14:29)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 27, 2003 08:41AM
Posted by: Max Downforce
@Morbid thanx for the kind words on my hexeditortutorial :-) actually when you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to swap shapes and slots. And if you make custom tex files (tex files with your custom names) and change teh texcalls within the lods swapping slots can be done by just renaming the lods. Because the lods wool look for the texfiles you tell them to no matter slot you are in. But you first have to tell the lods which texfile to take. Good luck and if you have problems post you question here on me and Bojan's site. Just click on my sig :-) Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: May 27, 2003 03:00PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Is there really some big troubles with Livery Editor, Morbid ?
It works perfectly i think with original shapes, maybe less good with new complex ones as Viper's...
But in fact, Livery Editor might do the same hex manipulations as those you do manually :)

Date: May 27, 2003 03:07PM
Posted by: b-tone
i have a feeling livery editor changes the blah_1, blah_2, blah_3 only, so if the lod has different format it won't work so well. i tried it (on a lod with 7 tex files associated) and it didnt work properly.
i think.

____
Tony

Date: May 27, 2003 03:15PM
yep, you are perfectly right, livery editor is only changing tex with the name of the gp4 in it (ferrari_x.tex for car_ferrari_lodx....gp4) because other files are often shared between all cars (as damage.tex) and don't have to be rename.
But in your case, i suppose the other files are unique for these car and so have not to be rename too, no ? So you might just have to update the wad with all 7 files...

Date: May 27, 2003 03:23PM
I am sorry to say this Lo, but yes - there is a problem :(.

When I intially downloaded the editor, I tried it and it worked fine. Some time after that I decided to make a fantasy installation of GP4 with none of the official F1 teams. In this thread Korn_Freak warned me that there might be a problem.

[www.grandprix3.com]

I tried the editor again immediately, and do'h, got a crash. When I returned to the forum, Max Downforce had also confermed that he got crashes. That is three people that reported crashes in 1,5 hours.

I think the theory that it works with original shapes, and crashes with modified shapes is pretty sound. Korn-freak's Holden cars are modelled over the Bar 005(?), and Max Downforce also works with modified/new shapes. And, without being totally certain, that my crash was also with a modified shape.

The original shapes contain 3 texture references that should be changed (2 for the simple lods). I have seen some of the modified lods repeat the texture calls later in the file, in effect it has 2x3 = 6 texture calls.

Could it be that the livery editor only changes the 3 that it expects to find and that is the cause of the crashes...?

Date: May 27, 2003 03:23PM
Don't you just feel stupid when people post while you type :)

Post Edited (05-27-03 22:25)

Date: May 27, 2003 04:03PM
Posted by: Ellis
lol morbid

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: May 28, 2003 05:35AM
Posted by: Max Downforce
I downloaded a while ago and tried to swap slots with it, but everytime my GP4 crasht. So i quit and forgot about it and then i talked to Erik van Leeuwen and he taught me the Hex editor trick that worked so i wrote a tutorial about it because there were many people having the some problems i had. But i don't know why it crashes GP4 maybe now that i am a little more experienced with the matter i can check with the hex editor what the Livery editor changes and what goes wrong. If only i had the time.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: May 28, 2003 10:13AM
Well, i will make some tries too, but don't you think that if no-one tells me about such problems, they will stay there for a long time ? :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy