Black screen issues in Windows 8

Posted by Rysmee 
Black screen issues in Windows 8
Date: May 30, 2015 03:51PM
Posted by: Rysmee
Hi everyone, I know this issue has been covered in various FAQ's but I am unable the solution that fits my problem exactly! So If you don't mind giving me any advice I would be most grateful!

I have just bought a new desktop with the main purpose of playing some good old games, and of course GP4 was one of my favourites 10 years ago.... You will have to forgive my lack of computer knowledge, so please go easy on me!

I downloaded it from GP4 central but kept getting various errors, so thought it was the download playing up. Bought the original game from Ebay for 14 quid or something - with the patch. Installed both of those ok.

So then came the obvious black screen immediately on start up, and have to sign out and back in again to resume computer operation.

Thought it was an issue with direct x, as sometimes on start up it would say you need to install direct x8.1 before playing - tried to download an older version - but windows recognises the fact that it is using 11 or something, and won't let me!

Then starting reading all the issues on here - So, followed this process : [gp4forever.com]

However, now I am getting the error 'missing Binkw32.dll on start up.

So this is where it really goes over my head! I have read about running it on virtual XP mode but have read that this is not available on win8?!

I would really love to get the game running if possible but think I just need a bit of guidance from someone who has had the same issues and has a bit more technical knowledge than myself...which isn't hard!

Hopefully the above makes sense, thanks, Ryan.
Re: Black screen issues in Windows 8
Date: May 30, 2015 05:58PM
Posted by: TomMK
Rysmee
I downloaded it from GP4 central but kept getting various errors,

Need more info please?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: May 30, 2015 06:43PM
Posted by: jojo3
open the grand prix 4 folder go up the gp4.exe prees right klik choice properties after choice compatibility and choice
Run this program in compatibility mode wiht windows xp (service pack 3) thats al lets try that i think problem solvet wiht that
Date: May 31, 2015 01:29PM
I am now unsure of the exact errors as this was a good week ago now and have done so much more since then...

All I know is the state of play at the current time :

1, Using the downloaded version : Compatibility is currently set to XP SP3, and all I get is the 'missing binkw32.dll' error.

2, Using disc version ends in two results depending on how it is feeling : 1, It will load and just goes to black screen.
2, Just asks for direct X 8.1 to be installed - I go to install it and it states that it is already installed. Can go no further.

I think the problem I have is that I am lost with what files I have where and which files I should be using or not (I'm afraid this is just down to my lack of knowledge so sorry for my stupidity :-(
Date: May 31, 2015 02:11PM
Ok, So I deleted everything.

Reinstalled everything exactly following the tutorial on GP4 Forever as in my first post. (so that includes setting both GP4 and GPx patch to compatibility XP(Tried both SP2 and 3))

Now when I click either the GP4.exe or GPxPatch files i get the error 'Generic application error. Enable debug for more information. This sample will now exit'
Date: June 01, 2015 12:34AM
Posted by: gitanes
Some things you could check are:
1. do NOT install in c:\program files (x86), use a completely separate directory, like c:\gp4
2. check OWNERSHIP of installation directory (you must have full access rights!)
3. check that you have set, besides compatibility to XP SP3, also "run as administrator" checked for both GP4.exe and gpxpatch.

Black screens are usually graphic card related.
4. check you have the newest graphic card drivers installed (if it is a brand new win8 installation they should be, but check anyway).
5. check if you have the files called cards.txt and gconfig.txt and if so DELETE them (they hold info about your graphic card and are created by GP4 when calibrating graphics, so they should NOT be there if you haven't manage to run GP4 at all)

If any of the above works, you should now be able to
6. run gp4.exe (NOT gpxpatch) and let it calibrate your graphics.

One last thing: check that your firewall and antivirus do not conflict with GP4 (usually the case with CSM)

That's what i did to have it running on Windows 8.1!

My personal GP4 files at : www.4shared.com ______ My Blog at : Gitanes GP4 work

* Performance Files * LoadingScreens GoogleMaps * GP4 Tracks and Cars Databases
Date: March 02, 2016 11:55PM
Posted by: GTP_Furinkazen
gitanes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some things you could check are:
> 1. do NOT install in c:\program files (x86), use a
> completely separate directory, like c:\gp4
> 2. check OWNERSHIP of installation directory (you
> must have full access rights!)
> 3. check that you have set, besides compatibility
> to XP SP3, also "run as administrator" checked for
> both GP4.exe and gpxpatch.
>
> Black screens are usually graphic card related.
> 4. check you have the newest graphic card drivers
> installed (if it is a brand new win8 installation
> they should be, but check anyway).
> 5. check if you have the files called cards.txt
> and gconfig.txt and if so DELETE them (they hold
> info about your graphic card and are created by
> GP4 when calibrating graphics, so they should NOT
> be there if you haven't manage to run GP4 at all)
>
> If any of the above works, you should now be able
> to
> 6. run gp4.exe (NOT gpxpatch) and let it calibrate
> your graphics.
>
> One last thing: check that your firewall and
> antivirus do not conflict with GP4 (usually the
> case with CSM)
>
> That's what i did to have it running on Windows
> 8.1!

Got this issue and despite following these steps cannot get it working. NVIDIA GeForce GFX card, latest drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy