Dual GP4 Install?!

Posted by JackieStewart 
Dual GP4 Install?!
Date: May 23, 2003 05:31AM
Posted by: JackieStewart
Just 'cos I was bored, I decided to to a second GP4 install. My original (old) GP4 install is patched to the eyeballs and totally "up to date" with mods, etc. I was quite surprised to see the difference in PO and FPS. Just goes to show you that we do loose a bit in overall performance every time we do an addition or update some graphics.........anyway, back to the old version! Keep up the good work (lol).
Jackie

....................I quite like this now.
Re: Dual GP4 Install?!
Date: May 23, 2003 07:37AM
Posted by: LarryM
Interesting, Give some examples of FPS and po differences- please. Remember to post your pc specs. :)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: May 23, 2003 08:24AM
PC:
P4 (1500mhz)
GeForce3 ti200
44.03 NVid Drivers
60Mb DD
256 RAM
DirectX 8.1
Sidewinder Modena Pro
1024X768 Res

Original GP4 40-42 FPS (During race), 65-100 PO
Tweaked GP4 32-35 FPS (During Race), 85 - 110 PO

Generally, the original is smoother too.

What's 3DMark?
Date: May 23, 2003 08:30AM
Posted by: Paco
Someone could tell me what 3DMark is and what does it do?
Thanks...

I'm against sigpics
Date: May 23, 2003 08:41AM
Posted by: b-tone
is your game tweaked for performance or appearance, Jackie?

____
Tony

Date: May 23, 2003 09:01AM
Pretty much for performance. I have dropped the environment mapping down to "static". A lot of the newer cars are in "Full Glory" so to speak and the hit (with Dynamic Mapping) is just too much for my system. If I'm qualifying, I can batter up the Env Mapping then and with only my car whizzing round there's no problems.
B-Tone - Its a tool for gauging how good your system is at processing 3D images and graphics. It's pretty much the industry standard but as usual with GP4, there's always exception to the rule. If you're going to use it remember, there's no substitute for "what you actually see in your fav game". Some people end up "slaves" to this tool and forget that just 'cos your score on 3DMark goies up, it doesn't mean that your game will run better.
Jackie

Date: May 23, 2003 09:26PM
Posted by: ZaZ
I've noticed the loss of performance too while editing gp4. That was the main reason why i've built my proggy. No more re-installs of gp4 for me..
Now my gp4 stays 100% intact, and i can play with all the graphics i want.
BUT a 'slow' carset with large graphics will always stay slow, can't change that (yet:)).
And about 3Dmark... well said!
I know people who buy a new graphics card just to gain some extra frames in 3DMark :S I just think they are pathetic.
Its a waste of money, and like you said; it doesn't guaranty an increment of performance.

About your 'problem'.... (don't know if it is a problem)
Leave both installs on your HD and use 1 of them as a 'trashcan'.
Update cars etc.. and keep the ones you want to keep, and store them in a new cars.wad, and do the same with other wad files. Place them in some folders on your HD and 'switch' the original and the new cars.wad whenever you like. You can patch the exe file with any program and this won't affect your in-game performance. Just keep an old backup of the exe in case anything goes wrong.

If you have downloaded carset which have an install, you can try to install them to a tempoary folder e.g "c:\temp\" after that just get the cars.wad, anim.wad and the performance files etc.. and do the other stuff by hand.

Maybe you already know this, but maybe it helps someone else who is reading this long boring post of me :)
Date: May 23, 2003 09:42PM
Posted by: marcl
The main thing u need for GP4 is a fast CPU.

I have an AMD 2000+ i get 42 fps po 80 with details and all that on max.

My mate have an 2800+ same mother board graphics card same game set up and he gets 70 FPS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy