GP4 Flickering Textures Fix for HD6850 (possibly others too)

Posted by Zitburger 
Hi. First post, so please be gentle with me. ;-)

Having spent several days surfing looking for an answer to the flickering textures problem that was ruining an otherwise excellent game of old, I found no fixes anywhere to this long-standing annoyance. It was clearly a z-buffer problem of some kind, and my Internet travels led me to a handy utility called 3DAnalyze that's capable of emulating unsupported graphics card hardware features in software.

To cut a long story short, faking the appropriate VendorID (4098) and DeviceID (20040) for an old ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and then forcing a 24-bit z-buffer with stencil buffer works perfectly! (Y)

I used v2.36, so here's a link to that version... Clicky

Enjoy! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 11:56PM by Zitburger.
Pinned to the FAQ. Thanks. Pretty good for a first post. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
You're welcome. My pleasure. :-)
Am I the only one who cant run the game via GPxPatch with this tool?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 02:14PM by Soutsen.
3DAnalyze launches the game via a custom-generated batch file and won't activate unless it does so. GPxPatch launches the game via the original 'GP4.exe' file so won't activate 3DAnalyze. Maybe someone can find a workaround?
Not a fix for the above GPxPatch problem, but something to avoid having to close 3DAnalyze manually after exiting the game. This should work on any PC running Win7, maybe Win8 too...

1/ Open up the custom launch batch file created by 3DAnalyze in the main game folder in Notepad and add EXIT thus...

"D:\3DAnalyze\3DAnalyze.exe" /EXE=D:\Games\Grand Prix 4\GP4.exe 
EXIT

Note: The specified paths are specific to your own installation and almost certainly won't match mine. Please don't change them.

2/ Save this modified version with the name Start.bat.

3/ Create a new batch file in Notepad containing the following...

@ECHO OFF
MODE CON:COLS=25 LINES=3
ECHO.
ECHO  Launching 3DAnalyze/GP4

REM Launch 3DAnalyze/GP4
START /MIN "Start.bat" Start.bat

REM Wait 5 seconds for game to launch
PING -n 6 127.0.0.1 >NUL
CLS

REM GP4.exe running detection loop
:Loop
TASKLIST /FI "IMAGENAME EQ GP4.exe" 2>NUL | FIND /I /N "GP4.exe">NUL
IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" PING -n 2 127.0.0.1 >NUL & GOTO Loop

REM Kill 3DAnalyze if GP4.exe has closed
ECHO.
ECHO      ....Exiting....
TASKKILL /IM 3DAnalyze.exe /T /F >NUL
EXIT

4/ Save this new batch file with the name GP4.bat.

Double-clicking GP4.bat will launch GP4 via 3DAnalyze. Exiting GP4 will now automatically close 3DAnalyze.

Job done! :-)
Zitburger schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3DAnalyze launches the game via a custom-generated
> batch file and won't activate unless it does so.
> GPxPatch launches the game via the original
> 'GP4.exe' file so won't activate 3DAnalyze. Maybe
> someone can find a workaround?

Hello, it's been a couple of years, did anybody find a way to get this to run in combination with gpxpatch / csm?
i bought a new monitor that supports adaptive sync / g-sync and finally got rid of the flickering issue - no aditional tool needed. just enabled g-sync in my nvidia settings.

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy