Alarming news for G1 modding

Posted by SchueyFan 
Re: Alarming news for F1 modding
Date: May 03, 2014 02:28AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I agree with Kerley.
Gp4 community is small compared to others, maybe at best 7000 gp4 fans.
Like i said previously(my other comment in this topic) at best any popular download that i created got
downloaded 7000 times the last 2 years. But if dont want to believe me take a look at the statistics at Gp4 central
and they are not much different than what i say.

I dont think FOM and Coddies will look at Gp4 sites, unless we have some empty head pointing the finger at the gp4 sites....
I agree on Dan on this.
Date: May 03, 2014 05:46AM
Posted by: Briere
I just deleted the link to GPG on GP4's wikipedia page
Date: May 03, 2014 11:31AM
Posted by: quickslick
good Mathieu, what about facebook?

i'm not sure that codie or FOM won't look at gpg, maybe FOM not especially, but i think codie will search for sites that uses stuff of the seasons 2010 - 2014, because they have the exclusive license for the seasons and they lose a lot of money, if no one buys the game, when there's another option to play the seasons. That could be the main interest of codie, why they are searching extremely hard through the internet, but it's only my opinion.
Date: May 03, 2014 11:50AM
Posted by: JasonJarvis1988
Taking "F1" out of the titles of threads may help as you'd expect these people to type into google "F1 Mods". I'd presume they'd scour the net for the foremost F1 mod sites.

2014 Season, 2014 Mod....like Quickslick said I'm guessing Codie will go after 2010-2014 mods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 11:50AM by JasonJarvis1988.
Date: May 03, 2014 01:24PM
Posted by: mortal
This site is buried on P8 of a Google for F1 Mods.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Alarming news for G1 modding
Date: May 03, 2014 01:37PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
GP4 will never die! ..... NEVER!

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 03:54AM by SkaaningeN.
Date: May 03, 2014 06:09PM
Posted by: davidm
I'm afraid its on page 2 for this very thread. The site may be picked up quite easily. Perhaps removing the expression F1 from the forum would help?
Date: May 03, 2014 09:08PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Retro Formula 1 has also been contacted and told to change their name.

This is worrying as it is a merchandise site and has nothing to do with F1 modding. In addition, it comfirms that if found, historic mods will also be under threat. It also proves that Codies aren't the only ones we need to look out for - this is FOM at it's core (N)
Hence I do suspect that this is, as suggested, the F1 trademark being tightened upon, which is "good business practice" amidst rumors that F1 is to be sold in the near future, blah blah blah...

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 10:10PM by smoglessbutton4.
Date: May 03, 2014 09:31PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Apologies for using the said term in the thread title, i didn't consider the ramifications.

However, even though the thread title is changed, individual posts still show the original title, so either need to be edited or the thread has to be removed if you want the thread to disappear from Google listings.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 03, 2014 10:10PM
Retro Formula 1
IS THIS THE END OF RetroFORMULA 1?
We were recently contacted by FOM (Formula 1 Management) to let us know that our company name 'RetroFORMULA 1' infringes on their trade mark 'Formula 1', and that we need to change our brand, company name, domain name and social media tags.
When we started trading in 2009 we decided that RetroFORMULA 1 perfectly explained exactly what our business was all about.
From my understanding, Formula 1 is a generic name that represents the FIA rules & regulations for cars competing in the Formula 1 World Championships. As such it should and could not be registered as a trade mark...rather like the word 'Football'.
There are many companies out there around the world who sell F1 merchandising under a company name that includes the words 'Formula 1', 'Formula One', 'F1', 'Grand Prix' (all of which have been trade marked by FOM). So why on earth would an organisation the size of FOM pick on a small company of 3 people.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Is Formula 1 the name of the sport that we love, or is it a brand...like Coca-Cola?

GPGSL -
Date: May 03, 2014 10:15PM
Hm, leet's take a look at this... [www.formula1.com]

WTF?!
Formula1.com
Grammar
Word Marks should be used as attributive modifiers i.e. they should be used to modify a noun for example “Formula 1™ driver”, “F1™ racing”.
Word Marks should not be used as nouns. For example “Formula 1™ was great this weekend” should be amended to “the Formula 1™ race was great this weekend”.
Word Marks should never be used in the possessive form. For example “FORMULA 1's cars”.

Looking at it more sensibly, here's one thing...
Formula1.com
The Logos
You may not use, for any purpose, in any medium, any of our Logos without an express written licence or permission from the Formula One group.
Endorsement or sponsorship
Our Permitted Word Marks cannot be used in any manner, in any medium, that implies Formula One group's affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, support of any third party or their products or services. They cannot be used in conjunction with an unauthorised third party's brand or logo.
Commercial use
Our Permitted Word Marks cannot be used on any goods or in relation to services provided for sale/promotional giveaways without an express licence from the Formula One group. This includes but is not limited to the manufacturing, distributing and promoting of goods or services.
Variations
Our Permitted Word Marks, including variants, misspellings and derivatives, cannot be incorporated into logos, composite logos, website icons, or used to create a brand identity.

Okay guys, you tell me what these guys think is wrong with the modding? hot

GPGSL -

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 10:26PM by smoglessbutton4.
Date: May 03, 2014 10:25PM
Posted by: Flash Formula
Wow this is some scary stuff :(
My websites will be down at the moment, so any files you all need, just PM or email me about them :)
The name "Flash Formula" will remain the same, as it's the F1, Formula 1 and Formula One that is Trademarked, but i'll removed any modding content related to this issue ...

Removing all traces of the words F1, Formula 1 and Formula One from this forum will be almost impossible, without deleting 90% of the threads :( Maybe Mal will know what to do in that area (Y) but building a new GP4 forum won't kill the game, maybe afew users, but really it's the ease of modding this game that makes GP4 so popular and the Motorsporting world is a very big place, so maybe this issue with FOM might do GP4 some good, being forced to make different content for GP4 is almost like a fresh start for game and seeing it move into other series will be good :) "GP4 is GP4 not F1 is GP4" all in my opinion ;-)

Date: May 03, 2014 10:28PM
This should clear up why Retro Formula 1's been notified...

Formula1.com
Commercial use
Our Permitted Word Marks cannot be used on any goods or in relation to services provided for sale/promotional giveaways without an express licence from the Formula One group. This includes but is not limited to the manufacturing, distributing and promoting of goods or services.
Company name, product name, trade mark
Our Permitted Word marks cannot be used or registered as part of a company name, trade name, product name or service name, nor can they be used or registered in any trade mark or service mark.
Variations
Our Permitted Word Marks, including variants, misspellings and derivatives, cannot be incorporated into logos, composite logos, website icons, or used to create a brand identity.

This may very well be an entirely spearate matter, and an interestingly-timed coincidence with a Codies-organized manhunt ;)

GPGSL -
Date: May 04, 2014 12:06AM
Remember "F1" maybe the pinnacle of motorsport, but there is a bigger picture when it comes to mods for GP4 :) I'm not to worried (Y) :-o

Date: May 04, 2014 12:19AM
Posted by: Ripping Corpse
SkaaningeN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GP4 will never die! ..... NEVER!

...... X2.............. (B)

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
Date: May 04, 2014 01:07AM
Posted by: Carlitox
Oh come on! I really really doubt FOM's gonna forbid us from even mentioning the sport's name! Now that would be plain idiotic! I think as long as it's not on the website's header, we'll be fine. But to prevent us from even mentioning the goddamn words, would be like "Hey, here's a sport with very fast cars with penises in their nosecones, 22 drivers of which more or less 15 pay for driving instead of getting paid for it, and occasionally some awesome close racing thanks to countless gimmicks. But hey... don't mention this to ANYONE by its name... or we'll sue your ass...".

I'm getting angrier day after day, especially at the thought that we could lose this community, which has personally exceeded the GPx games and has given me the chance to chat and have a great time with people around the world, something that has made me very proud.

No matter what, I'll push for this and all the simracer and modding community to continue. And especially for this awesome forum.

(Sorry... got a little sentimental... LOL)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 04, 2014 03:06AM
@Ripping Corpse: (Y)(Y)

@Carlitox: Yep I fully agree with you :)(Y) No one can stop the right to the freedom of speech :):)

As for the modding side, then if gp4 continues without F1 content, so be it... The game will live on and so will this community :) The F1 content side of GP4 may go underground and the hardest thing will be not showing the work worldwide :( ... I've also heard around that Ferrari and the Senna Foundation own the rights to all their F1 cars, not FOM, so how can FOM take control of the whole sports content, if they don't have the rights to all of it :-O, I've also heard that the FOM only own the content rights to the sport from 2010, so again ... why stop non profit older season mods for a game or games that can be pushing over 10 years old!!! Got me thinking "Codemasters!!" :(

PS. The word "Grand Prix" is also trademarked :( luckily most of us around here say GP4 anyway :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 03:14AM by Flash Formula.
Date: May 04, 2014 03:53AM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
I just came up with a question...

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 was released with a licence, granted 2001-2002. Arn't we just modifiying an already licenced game?
Yes, sure we have used some codies stuff but other than that, is it wrong to release up to date f-one stuff for an licenced game?

I may be wrong but it's a thought that just came to my mind. rFactor etc. have not have the same licence as GP4...

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: May 04, 2014 04:07AM
Posted by: kerleyf1
Good question SkaaningeN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: May 04, 2014 04:18AM
@SkaaningeN: No :( Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 game had the licence rights to the sport to make a game with a deal for the 2001 content, given all parties where included at the time like driver names, team names, logos, circuits etc. luckily, everyone agreed and the game was made, but after that, the licence was void and EA bought it with the deal to use the sports content from '99 to '02 :) being F1-Challenge :) so really what we're doing is illegal, but because no profit is made, it goes under the radar. (Modding was more underground back then) but when the internet got more social with the likes of Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, Communities could show off they work to a wider audience, so wide in fact that some series started to take notice and took action :(. You're right about rFactor not having a licence, but with it being a game built and designed for modding and being a huge brand in itself, all the works and projects for that game will stick out like blood in a black & white movie ... :-o Hope it helps :)(Y)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 04:20AM by Flash Formula.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy