Windows 8.1 basic install [solved]

Posted by GP_maniac 
Windows 8.1 basic install [solved]
Date: March 27, 2014 12:37AM
Posted by: GP_maniac
Can anyone offer any help

Trying to load original gp4.exe with compatibility set to xp service pack 2, run as admin]

But it leaves the screen completely black and will freeze my laptop.

Can anyone help me get this game up and running even at a basic level for now.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2014 03:05AM by mortal.
Re: Windows 8.1 basic install
Date: March 27, 2014 01:15AM
Posted by: mortal
Got the patch and gpx installed? Laptop? Post the graphics info please.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 27, 2014 04:02AM
Posted by: mckey415
Same thing here. I tried all sort of thing and ended running in XP SP3 mode with admin rights and inserting game CD. In this case I was able to run the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F1 A.D.: 1993-1996 - Future in the past
[f1ad.narod.ru]

1994 Mod Official Website
[grandprixx.com]
Date: March 27, 2014 06:34AM
You shouldn't have to use the cd if you have the no-cd exe.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 27, 2014 12:42PM
Posted by: Flying Finn
I also have the same problem. I just bought a new laptop and it runs on a Windows 8.1. I have the no-cd exe, however after installing and trying to run the game, the screen just turn black.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?
Date: March 27, 2014 02:30PM
Posted by: TomMK
For anyone having issues try the following:

1) Have you tried using the pre-patched, ready-to-use game available at GP4 Central?
2) Have you set "CPU = 0" and "Debug Verbosity = High" in GPxPatch?
3) Have you set GP4.exe to compatibility mode = "Windows XP SP3"?
4) Have you tried installing the game to your Home folder? E.g. C:\Users\MyName\GP4\
5) Have you tried inserting your game CD (or mounting a GP4 .iso) before loading the game?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: March 27, 2014 03:30PM
Posted by: Flying Finn
I've tried all of those above except the 5th one. How do you mount a GP4. iso?
Date: March 27, 2014 04:14PM
I personally have not tried any of the above, at this time I was just trying to start the game, as it is loaded on install fresh from the disc.

No other exe yet just plain install
Date: March 27, 2014 09:09PM
There is your problem. GP4 will only run off disc on Win95/WinXP. You must install the 9.6 patch and the no_cd. See the FAQ. Then set the compatibility of the exe. Install gpx_patch. Then it should work. Also, read the FAQ. To mount an iso, use daemon tools or power iso. There are plenty of freeware iso programs available.

Date: March 27, 2014 10:50PM
can you link to the 9.6patch and the no_cd that you mentioned

Can you also explain more about the iso you mentioned

Thanks
Date: March 27, 2014 10:58PM
Read the FAQ! About iso here.

Date: March 27, 2014 11:33PM
I have installed the 9.6 patch and the no_Cd but I am still coming up with the same issue.

Any advice
Date: March 28, 2014 01:47AM
Post your laptop specs.

Date: March 28, 2014 01:56AM
Samsung Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.5Ghz 6GB Ram 64 bit os with Intel HD Graphics 4000

Not sure what else you are after
Date: March 28, 2014 02:40AM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 There's the problem right there. This will struggle to play any game, and even then only on the lowest possible setting. If you want to play games, you need a decent graphics card, unfortunately you don't have one.

Date: March 28, 2014 07:56PM
Besides building my own pc, which at the moment is a long way off.

What is your recommendation to using an external graphics card?

If so which one?
Date: March 28, 2014 09:04PM
Which card? Depends on who you talk to, both AMD and Nvidia have their fanboys. It really depends on your budget, and you need to do your research. If you're going to build, look at pc part picker. Also check out build a pc.

Date: March 28, 2014 10:52PM
I was talking about installing an external card on my laptop in order to run games.

If indeed possible for around 50-100£

Thoughts?
Date: March 28, 2014 11:53PM
Could get expensive, imho the money would be better spent on a mini atx system which would beat an external graphics card pants down.
Anyway, to do it you'll need a passive gpu adaptor, an external psu to run the graphics card, an Express card, as well as an express slot on your laptop, all that before you even buy a graphics card.
See this review, and here's a how to.
For your interest, here's one I built earlier this year. Link. Price an external card setup and compare, and keep in mind that any pc will out perform an external setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 11:56PM by mortal.
Date: March 29, 2014 12:14AM
After looking at research I have come across the same conclusion that money is better spent on a build your own pc.

I just have nowhere to start in what I need, also need to shift my existing laptop.

The processor does not need to be extravagant I just need computer with a graphics card that packs a punch and allows me to basically run gp4 how you guys do it for example.

will probably be 3-500 budget

Advice?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy